The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 01-25-2004, 12:13 PM   #451
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Well I'm looking at the TGCD cover right now and it's a muscular dude (who I presume is supposed to be Adol.... looks nothing like him) and he has on a gold helmet covering his dark hair. So no, I think you're getting something mixed up.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:30 AM   #452
Joe Redifer
Olé!

No. Play the actual game Icarus! The dude on the cover may have darker hair, but that same dude is in the intro, and he is drawn with the same helmet, etc...
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 11:21 AM   #453
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

It's Adol. In the opening there's a close-up of him from a profile view and his hair, for some reason, is colored blonde. Here's what it says in the opening ~ "...His bravery was renowned throughout the land as he had once saved an entire world from similar destruction. But now, his challenge was greater than ever before. The insurmountable ferocity of Demonicus was frightening even to our courageous hero. But a real man never shows his fear, and Adol was, in fact, a most gallant soul. He battled Demonicus with equal intensity in this horrific struggle to the death..." It shows him battling the demon in the opening sequence. When I reviewed the game I played through the SNES version instead, having previously beaten it on TGCD twice and about three times before on SNES. So it's Adol. What's your point? You own the game (supposedly) so why do you need to ask such an obvious question, unless you're just trying to see whether or not I own the game just to satisfy yourself and waste my time.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 01-26-2004 at 09:56 PM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 10:37 PM   #454
Joe Redifer
Olé!

You seem to have forgotten the original question:

Quote:
Any idea who that blonde guy was in the TG intro to Y's III? The graphics in the intro are outstanding. Maybe that was some dude that fought Demonicus or whatever his name was before Adol's time?
Do you really think Falcom would screw up THAT BAD and suddenly say that some blonde dude was Adol? I think something weird happened during the translation.

What's my point? Discussion of the games! Unless you'd rather not speak of the games you review.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:42 PM   #455
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I don't think Falcom would screw up because they weren't the ones who translated it to the US. Besides, not only has Hudson Soft and NEC screwed around with some translations but so have others. However, perhaps Falcom really did mean to represent Adol this way in the intro. It is drawn in a very different style from the rest of the game - far more detailed and serious. Therefore, I believe it is Adol. They probably drew it this way to give an attribute to the fact that what he did was supposed to be of historical significance and that it was an important legend that was to be continued with Ys III. Sorry for the misinterpretation.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:47 PM   #456
Joe Redifer
Olé!

NEC USA did the translation, I believe. It's hard to say with them. Whatever the case, I love the intro graphics. I wish the voice acting could have been at least on par with Y's 1 and 2 (which only had 10 or 15% cheesey voices, the rest good, whereas Y's III has 100% cheesey voices).
Old 01-26-2004, 10:49 PM   #457
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Indeed, the voice actor they used for the opening alone is enough to make me want to shut off the game and never touch it again. It's as if they pulled their janitor into the recording studio or something.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:05 PM   #458
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Incroyable!

Mario & Luigi ~ Superstar Saga - GBA - Rating 8
Can somebody please tell me why the GameBoy Advance has most of the great software of this generation of gaming? We get Zelda, three Castlevanias, two Metroids, Wario Ware Inc., all of the classic Mario titles (including part 3 and SMW2 ~ Yoshi's Island), and a slew of other phenomenal softs. What gives!? Even if you don't own a GBA I recommend you get a GBA Player for your GC so that you effectively expand the library of games available for your console. And if you're looking for something fun, zany, and humorous then I suggest you purchase the game I'm reviewing.
What a cool story! The Great Witch Cackletta and her "most best pupil" Fawful pose as ambassadors from the Beanbean Kingdom and steal Princess Peach's voice! Not only that, they replaced it with explosive vocabulary!! Even Bowser won't kidnap her because he's afraid she'll blow up his castle!!! What's going on here!?! Our man Mario and his sidekick... Hold on a second...

Sssh! Um, what's his name?... Mmm Hmm... Got it!

A-ha! I got it now! Mario and Mr. Greenie must get back Peach's voice and restore peace! But there's a problem. That Green Guy doesn't want to go on an adventure with Mario! Anyway, Mario decides he'll get back her voice, and Bowser agrees ~ "Bwa ha ha ha! Yes! Go, capture that fiend and get back Peach's voice! And then I can kidnap her!" Rival forces team up for a common cause! Yes folks, hell has frozen over!!!

Mario! Do something Super!

You learn some of the controls before you hop aboard Bowser's Koopa-Cruiser, and yes, Super Green Mario Guy is going to come along, whether he wants to or not. While flying high up in the sky in the Koopa-Cruiser you'll learn even more controls as well as how to battle effectively.
Once Mario reaches the deck of the ship where Bowser is residing and Luigi is hanging out, literally, they have their first unexpected encounter with Cackletta and Fawful. Bowser is angry with the witch ~ "You! You're the fiend who stole Peach's voice! How dare you pull off such a cool evil plan!" Here is where you'll have your first boss encounter, and then it's off to Beanbean Kingdom....
That's all within the first half-hour of the game. All told, this quest should last you around 20 hours total. I won't tell you anything else about the story - you'll have to play it and find out yourself just how cool it is. Of course, there are plenty of side-plots and twists to the overall story that will keep you glued to the screen. And as if the story wasn't cool enough the gameplay is A+ all the way baby! You control both Mario and Luigi at once and you learn how they work together to do some rather interesting things. This new gameplay style is unique to the Mario universe and I cannot say that I've played anything quite like it. Think Mario meets Zelda and you're getting somewhere. Now, add in a dash of RPGing and we're getting close. Finally, add a few mini-games and even the original Mario Bros. accessible from the title screen and, to quote the once-popular Spandau Ballet song, "You are Gold!"
The world which Mario/Luigi must transverse is similar in design to Zelda ~ LTTP only it's built to accommodate the jump-happy plumbers and their skills. Some of these moves require both bros. to work cohesively, such as the High Jump, Spin Jump, and using Hammers to crush each other -- Mario becomes Mini-Mario and Luigi becomes Luigi Dunk (sort of like a mole) so that they can access more places than ever before. Like in Zelda or any RPG you gain items and equipment, and when you fight.... :bigsmile: JOY!
Fighting in M&L is so fun that it makes other RPGs seem tame in comparison, and this isn't even a serious-toned RPG! As a matter of fact, I wouldn't really consider the game an RPG but rather some strange action/platform/adventure/RPG hybrid. Anyway, when battling you can do things that you couldn't do in most every other RPG, such as defend yourself by avoiding or countering. Every enemy fights completely differently, often having two or more different attacks. Sometimes you won't be able to jump on an enemy and you'll have to use a hammer, or an enemy that's flying won't be within reach for a hammer attack. If you press the attack button right before you attack you'll deal more damage. And then there are Bros. Attacks which require both Mario and Luigi to work together to deal even more damage with special attacks. These moves take up Bros. Points which act like magic points in an RPG. You'll face many familiar faces from past Mario titles like the Bob-omb and Lakipea. Enemies can even be used in battle as weapons such as those blue Paratroopeas that fly in the sky. First you have to hurt one enough to remove its wings and then when it tries to attack you'd jump at the right moment and land right on top of it to deal damage to it and send it flying into another enemy, and if it rebounds off the enemy it will fly back at the opposite brother to which you'd try to jump so that Mario/Luigi would land on the left-side of its shell so that it rams into the enemy again! This kind of gameplay and interaction isn't available in conventional RPGs and for this added layer of depth I commend Nintendo. :cool guy:
Oh, and I should bring up the fact that you can surprise attack your enemies from the playing field in order to deal preemptive damage or stun your enemies. But watch it as the enemies can pull a fast one on you if you're not careful. Also, when you level-up either Mario or Luigi they automatically gain attribute points for such things as power and defense, and you also get to select which stat you'd like to add a little more to every level. BTW, be sure to build up on their 'staches because this allows you to get discounts when you buy items! Woo-hoo!
There is an assortment of mini-games as well such as the Border Jump which is the most crazy game of jump-rope that I've ever seen (and it's pure fun), and the Mystery Carts Ride which isn't quite as fun but is still a cool diversion nevertheless. Besides, you'll collect something very useful from playing these mini-games for a bit later into the game so it pays to stock up early.
The graphics are just Super... NES quality, that is. And I mean "good SuperNES quality". In fact, it looks better than about 90% of the software for the SNES!! Everything animates well, and I got a kick out of all the humorous touches such as Luigi poking things (and people). It looks like a Nintendo SNES game but a lot more 'cartoony', considering that's even possible. I don't even know if that's a real word but I'll use it anyway. Some of the boss battles are truly events and they're often very big. Queen X (I can't say her actual name without potentially spoiling something in the story) is hulky and green. She reminds me of King Hippo from the NES classic Punch-Out!!; a coincidence which I'm sure is intentional. ;)
The music is a plus in some ways and a negative in others. Some of it sounds good and you'll hear a lot of familiar Mario pieces such as the underworld theme music from the original redone. But some of it is repetitive and a tad aggravating. However, one of the aspects that I was very happy with was the voices, especially Mario, Luigi, and Bowser. I loved hearing Mario go "Oh yeah!" or Bowser's hilarious "Gwa ha ha!" It never gets old. The sound effects are great and even here Nintendo pulls out a few sounds from previous Marios just for retro's sake.
So there you have it. Yet another A+ effort by my favorite software company, and things are only going to get better with Metroid ~ Zero Mission and others. Things are looking good for Nintendo, and when things look good for them that can only mean things are looking good for us gamers as well. I'm so glad to see that at least a few companies haven't forgotten their roots and can still churn out classics. The game is rather short but so what? The 20 hours I spent playing this game were more enjoyable than most of the 50+ I've spent on other RPGs, and that's saying a lot.
Don't pass this one up!

Check out screenshots from the game ~ http://www.gamespot.com/gba/rpg/marioandluigi/
And here's a walkthrough ~ http://www.nintelligent.net/guide10.php

I HAVE FURY!!!

Last edited by Icarus4578; 04-04-2005 at 10:30 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 12:13 PM   #459
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Great review. Mario & Luigi is one of the best RPG's I've played in a very long time. Almost every aspect of the game was great and I really liked mixing the beans you would find to make different types of coffee drinks. Then a cameo by Professor E Ghadd would come and give you cool items and attributes for making new blends. The only problem I had with the game was that in some areas I had a hard time decipher-ing cliff walls and steps. A little better use of shadows would have helped but I am not complaining.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 04:07 AM   #460
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
Originally posted by Vicviper
A little better use of shadows would have helped but I am not complaining.
Yes, actually you are. Is nothing good enough for you? Must you find fault in everything? Oh wait... that's me.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:29 PM   #461
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Yes if there is one person that likes to complain that would be you Joe. I mean my wife doesn't even complain and find fault in as many things as you do. It's all good though

So I'll see you tonight for some more Ys IV action??
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 02:32 PM   #462
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I've never seen your wife complain about anything. That speaks volumes since she's married to you.

Yes, Y's IV. I have to bring my Turbo. No more superlong passwords this time.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:30 AM   #463
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

My fingers hurt

Rush'n Attack - NES - Rating 2
The mere sight of the NES cartridge Rush'n Attack is enough to make my blood boil and my body cringe. Of all the games out there that I could've chosen from why'd I pick this? I was contemplating Vampire Savior ~ Jedah's Damnation for the Sega Saturn Import but that will have to wait until tommorrow. For now, I must suffer. Thanks Konami for transforming my nightmares into reality.
Out of every NES title made by Konami, this is one of their worst. You are a soldier sent on a mission to rescue captured POWs from behind enemy lines, as well as destroy their secret weapon, called the "Death Laser". It won't be easy as there are soldiers with machine guns, ravenous hounds, and more bad stuff. So what does the army give you to fight back? A knife. Hmmm... what are the odds of you dying several hundred times? Quite high, as I know from my first-hand experience with this game. Here's how it plays: you're a soldier that runs across the screen and you can jump by pressing Up on the controller. Diagonal jumps are possible and you can also climb on ladders by pressing Up when standing in front of one, and you can duck. You use your knife by pressing B, and when you pick up downed enemies' weapons like the bazooka or hand grenades you press A. You'll need to be wise in conserving your shots for the more troublesome instances (in this case, most of the game is troublesome ). The pistol is the exception because you have a time limit for how long you can use it. There's also an invincibility star you can acquire. That's most of the gameplay for you.
Get ready to die several hundred times. Yup, that's right - this game will make you its bitch and will torment you for hours on end, so be sure to get acquainted with the title screen because you'll be seeing it a lot. Dodging enemies is such a pain because they're EVERYWHERE and, to quote Kyle Reese from the first Terminator, ~ "...absolutely will not stop... until you are dead!" This game is the epitimy of trial-and-error gaming. You'll have to literally memorize when to expect this or that pack of enemies and where they're going to come from, and plan accordingly what your strategy will be. You can attack an enemy with your knife but you're just no match for when packs of enemies (often gun-toting) show up and run/jump around the screen. If you make contact then you're dead and will have to start back in the stage (sometimes at invisible checkpoints). Here's one thing that drove me mad - if you've make it to a certain checkpoint and die near it the game might send you back even further! What the hell is that about!?
Stages are pretty boring. There's six total which includes an airport, a forest, and a harbor area. Play the game and ask yourself within the first two stages if the difficulty is set just a little too high. If so, I recommend shutting it off right then and there and never return to it because I promise you it will only get worse later on. The bosses aren't impressive at all except for the challenge many of them represent, and the only reward you'll have in beating it is knowing that you are a bad-ass gamer that deserves respect.
The song you'll hear throughout most of the game is tolerable... until the second hour or so of playing. Then it starts to stick out like a sore thumb and will probably make your hair fall out. :yikes: There's a couple other jingles but they're uneventful at best. This game's got nothing on others like Bayou Billy or Contra. The sound effects are appropriately weak as are the sprites which look like the basketball players from Double Dribble dressed in uniform.
Don't play this game. You'd be better off sticking with fun NES games like Duck Tales by Capcom or the reasonably challenging Amagon by American Sammy. Why did I give Rush'n Attack a 2? Because the concept isn't all that bad and would've actually been fun had Konami leveled the difficulty out. By the way, I'm not sure about this but I believe that this was actually an arcade game. If so, I pity the people that wasted their money on it. Maybe I'll go play some Ikari Warriors (SNK).... oh, forget it. No sense in killing 20,000 boring enemies over and over and over again. That would be like playing Halo. Let's see.... There's also Commando and Gunsmoke (both by Capcom) and these two games are quite fun. I think I'll go try them out again.
This isn't a review - it's a warning. Proceed with caution. :annoyed:

See the pain ~ http://www.classicgaming.com/reviews/nes/rush.htm

Feel the pain ~ play it.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:49 PM   #464
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I am still waiting for your review of Annette Again (sp?) for the Sega CD (import). Just because only a couple hundred copies (or so) were pressed is no excuse! I expect the review to be up within 15 minutes from the time you read this.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:35 PM   #465
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Ooooh! You!! I don't have that game! I've never played it nor seen it in action in my life.

But Thursday is my Vampire Savior review. Then, I should have up another two titles up before Metroid ~ Zero Mission. See that? My reviews section just keeps expanding and expanding....