The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 11-13-2003, 08:29 AM   #346
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I think what Gearhound is trying to get at is that we don't see those numbers on-screen at once, just like we don't actually see anywhere near 16.7 million colors on-screen at once (all the new systems). However, realize that as the game goes on the palatte of colors it actually draws from does have its effect, and the total sum of colors you'd end up seeing in the end would total more than 64 but probably not use all 512. Most Genesis games don't show 64 colors on-screen at once through most of the time it's being performed on the screen. But either case has its truth to it. Gearhound, you're interested more in the facade of the building, and Joe the interior decorating. I'm most interested in the involution; how those details are put to use to create something detailed and interesting to behold. It's just a trajedy that NONE of the new systems have truly been utilized in the 2D aspect except Guilty Gear XX which isn't really pushing them to their limits.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 05:40 PM   #347
gearhound1
Banned

correct, icarus. you are able to view the books in the library, but can only check out 3. you have 512 colors on the genesis, but you ONLY SEE UP TO 64.

you examples are pretty accurate when refering to the colors of the genesis.

Last edited by gearhound1; 11-13-2003 at 05:43 PM.
gearhound1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 05:54 PM   #348
Joe Redifer
Olé!

You can view all the colors on the Genesis the same way you can view all the books in a library -- not all at once! But saying that it is "pointless" to say that the Genesis has 512 colors is actually pointless in itself. If your terminology were different, then I wouldn't argue. If you said "The Genesis can display 64 colors", then that is true. If you say "The Genesis has 64 colors" then that is outright wrong. It HAS more than 64 colors and it is not pointless in saying so, since those colors are physically there. Is it also pointless to say the current systems have over 16 million colors, even though there are not anywhere close to being that many pixels onscreen, even in HDTV?

PS - Icarus, what about Viewtiful Joe? I wouldn't really call that a 3D game, and it looks great! Could use some tweaking in the game play department so each enemy doesn't take 900 hit and 20 minutes (each) to defeat. Needs a quicker pace.

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 11-13-2003 at 05:57 PM.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 06:02 PM   #349
gearhound1
Banned

yeah, but the genesis is not capable in displaying 512 colors. sure you can say that is HAS 512 colors, but big deal--you only see up to 64.

it is more feasible to do this than it is to see the 512 genesis colors at once, which is impossible.
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Redifer
You can view all the colors on the Genesis the same way you can view all the books in a library -- not all at once!
that may be true, but it still doesn't prove much. sure you cannot view all 64 colors at one time, but my point is it is still pointless to say it has 512 colors except on a technical level; it can only display 64. my brain hurts now, thanks.

Last edited by gearhound1; 11-13-2003 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:41 PM   #350
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Viewtiful Joe = Good game with sloppy pacing. You have to think; Capcom stand amongst very few when it comes to quality side-scrolling action games - they are one of the absolute best there is. After playing that I'm DYING for a brand-spanking-new 2D Ghosts N' Goblins game! Imagine what they could do on one of the new platforms....

I'll be back with a review soon.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:59 PM   #351
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Can't wait for the Viewtiful Joe review.

Gearhound, I am just asking you be careful how you say what you are trying to say. Saying the Genesis has 64 colors insinuates that it only has 64 to choose from, whereas "Genesis displays 64 colors" is highly accurate without making anyone's brain hurt.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:01 PM   #352
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Nooo, not a Viewtiful Joe review (which I'll eventually do), but The Simpsons ~ Hit & Run on GC!
Old 11-13-2003, 11:31 PM   #353
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Oh. I predict a 4. Maybe a 3 for Simpsons.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:23 PM   #354
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Just call me Air Homer!

The Simpsons ~ Hit & Run - GameCube - Rating 7
I used to dig The Simpsons. It was hilarious and filled with intelligently written episodes, memorable characters, and a great art design - especially for the kids that wanted to draw all the characters (which wasn't a very hard thing to do). Whether or not you watch The Simpsons is unimportant. Just know that this game is worthy of purchase. I wasn't expecting this game to be much more than a Grand Theft Auto-wannabe. Boy, was I wrong! This game is more.... much more.
Here's the basic story straight from the game manual: The citizens of Sringfield are growing suspicious over the sudden appearance of mysterious black vans and video cameras throughout the town. Where did they come from? Who is behind it all? And what's all the "buzz" about new and improved Buzz Cola?
There's more to the story than this, but this is the basic backbone of the game. You begin the game with Homer watching an advertisement on TV with Krusty the Clown promoting Buzz Cola. Homer must obey his stomach, and so you must guide him to the local Kwik-E-Mart and purchase Buzz Cola from Apu. Bart gives you tutorials, explaining the game controls so that you understand how everything works. It's all rather easy to figure out, which is a good thing. You can do pretty much whatever you want right from the start: explore Springfield, drive vehicles, search for goodies like coins for buying new outfits and vehicles or hidden things like Collectors Cards to open up hidden stuff, attack people (but no killing them), hit or search objects, etc. etc. Springfield is quite large; you could spend hours and hours just exploring. When you're on foot you can walk, run, jump (and double-jump), attack, move the camera with the C-stick, raise the camera with R, talk to people, enter certain places, search certain things and perform special actions like, say, setting off the Springfield Elementary School fire alarm to which you'll hear Principle Skinner on the loud-speaker go "Remain calm students. All is well in the school. My authority as principle is total." The dialogue is great and it only figures - the story is done by the writers of the cartoon. The voices are provided by the original voice-actors, and there's just a TON of one-liners and dialogue throughout the game. Homer - "Piece of cake! ....mmmm....caaaaake...." There are plenty of missions that you must go on, and you'll eventually have to take control of several characters, including my personal favorite - Bart. The game begins with some easy missions, like finding six things Homer stole from Flander before a timer runs out. Since this is early in the game and doesn't ruin anything, here's the dialogue from when Homer is trying to get back Flander's cooler from Barney: Homer - "Uuuh, you remember that cooler I gave you for your birthday? Well, Flander wants it back." Barney - "Now what will I use for a toilet?" Trust me, the game is literally drenching with memorable encounters like this, but I'm not gonna ruin it.
Driving plays a major role throughout the game, as you'd suspect with a title like "Hit & Run". Whenever you need to go someplace or gather something it will appear on your radar in the bottom-right, and there are arrows which direct you on the road. You can talk to people with an "$" over their heads to purchase new vehicles with the coins you collect. If you're stranded and need to get a ride somewhere you can either locate the nearest phone booth and call to have a vehicle brought to you (you'll have to pay for damages) or hitch a ride from any vehicle on the road. No sweat. Driving is fun and can get rather furious at times, with you smashing into other passing vehicles "OUCH! MY ASS HURTS!" and objects which can be destroyed. Just know that by hitting objects, vehicles, and people repeatedly will result in the cops chasing after you. Bart - "Make it stop!" When this happens the music changes to an upbeat groove that sounds like it came straight out of some 70's TV show chase scene! It's hilarious! Many missions require you to race against another vehicle or just beat the timer, so it would be good advice to get to know Springfield like the back of your hand. Vehicles vary in acceleration, handling, etc. and since this is based on a cartoon (The Simpsons no less...) you can expect some far-out vehicles later on, such as a hover vehicle. If your vehicle sustains heavy damage, just find a wrench and it will be fixed. It's that simple. The later missions will probably aggravate many people to no ends, which is good. You'll also find plenty of side missions available for extra challenge and fun, such as one with Principal Skinner driving around collecting things for his mother who is also in the vehicle and keeps insulting him ; you'll find this one when you're Lisa. The costumes available for purchase are pretty funny, but the best one would have to be "Casual Homer". Trust me, it's classic.
The graphics are great and everything looks like a 3D composite of all the cartoon's locations and elements to create a believable recreation of Springfield. The game uses lots of plain shades, soft tones, and hues to match the cartoon though it never tries to do any cel-shading or anything like that (thankfully). It almost looks like 3D toy versions of all the characters, and the animation is very well done except for when you hit somebody in which case they sorta go hovering in the air for a moment and wobble and spin around the ground in awkward mannerisms. I'm not sure if this is an intentional misinterpretation of the cartoon or what, but it doesn't really matter.
I honestly wasn't expecting the soundtrack to be as good as it turned out to be. Of course you'll recognize the opening theme, and the game music itself changes to reflect the current happenings/surroundings. Some of it is very enjoyable and some of it is just short pieces that are there to convey the Springfield atmosphere. The sound effects and voices all sound perfect. Everything sounds like it belongs in the cartoon.
What more needs to be said? Go out and buy this game if you haven't already. It's also available on X-Box and PS2 so there's no way you can miss out on the fun and mayhem. I also recommend the beat-'em-up Simpsons arcade game by Konami (2-4 players), and perhaps even The Simpsons ~ Bart's Nightmare for SNES.

Cheats galore--
-GC version ~ http://www.neoseeker.com/Games/cheat...s_hit_run.html
-PS2 version ~ http://www.neoseeker.com/Games/cheat...s_hit_run.html
-X-Box version ~ http://www.angelfire.com/il/xgamers/simpson****xb.html

It takes more than that to kill me.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 05-09-2004 at 03:25 AM.
Old 11-15-2003, 05:11 PM   #355
gearhound1
Banned

Quote:
Can't wait for the Viewtiful Joe review.

Gearhound, I am just asking you be careful how you say what you are trying to say. Saying the Genesis has 64 colors insinuates that it only has 64 to choose from, whereas "Genesis displays 64 colors" is highly accurate without making anyone's brain hurt.
i understand all of that, but why have 512 colors when you can only display 64? i know it has 512 colors, but to me it is rather pointless since it can only display 64. so in the end it doesn't matter if it has 512 colors.
Old 11-15-2003, 05:59 PM   #356
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It can pick and choose from those 512 colors. It is not limited to 64. Just like you can pick and choose from the books in the library. Many games use more than 64 colors throughout the game like Icarus said, just not on the screen at once.
Old 11-15-2003, 06:29 PM   #357
gearhound1
Banned

Quote:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It can pick and choose from those 512 colors. It is not limited to 64. Just like you can pick and choose from the books in the library. Many games use more than 64 colors throughout the game like Icarus said, just not on the screen at once.
yes i know, but it doesn't really make much of a difference.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:40 PM   #358
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Seriously I am getting sick of replying to you about this. It DOES make a difference. If the Genesis had 16.7 million colors but still could only display 64 of them onscreen, Genesis games would look a whole hell of a lot better. That's because they'd have more shades of blue to pick from. More shades of red, purple, green, or any other color you can think of. If it only had 64 colors, it would only have 4 or so shades of each color, and it would look not much better than the NES or SMS. But if they have MORE shades of those colors to choose from, then the better they can make their games look. The SNES didn't put more than 64 colors onscreen in most of its games (Count them. I dare you), and still it looked better because it had a library of 32,768 colors to choose from. Bolder colors.

If you go to computer school or especially graphics school you will learn that it DOES make a difference.

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 11-15-2003 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:32 PM   #359
gearhound1
Banned

Quote:
. The SNES didn't put more than 64 colors onscreen in most of its games (Count them. I dare you), and still it looked better because it had a library of 32,768 colors to choose from. Bolder colors.

i think that many of the snes games did display more than 64 colors on screen at once, but i cannot find any proof of this. can you?

yeah, you're right. i just realized that all systems have more colors that they are allowed to display on screen (obvious bit of info that i failed to realize).

Last edited by gearhound1; 11-15-2003 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:16 PM   #360
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The only way to prove it would be to get a screen grab and count. Not a fun task. I am sure there are many SNES games that put more colors on screen, especially when they used digitized graphics. But games like, say, Zelda: A Link to the Past probably did not. But it still looks nice.