The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 07-16-2002, 09:54 PM   #1
Overlord
Akuma to odorou

The Xbox sells 4 million units worldwide!

"The Xbox has sold 4 million units worldwide, but it lags behind Sony's PlayStation 2, which has sold 30 million units."

-Article.

Use Ctrl + F if you can't find the statement.

Your thoughts?

We seem to have juxtaposed an impasse here.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 10:56 PM   #2
DBJAY

I actually didn't know it was that high.

What the author of the article fails to point out, as usual when the media covers the Xbox, is that the PS2 has been on sale for over two years, and Xbox has yet to have one complete year of sales in the US and only has been on sale in Europe, Japan, and some other territories for even less time. Of course it will lag behind the PS2. The PS2 lagged behind the Dreamcast worldwide installed base for quite some time only because the DC had been on store shelves longer.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 02:52 PM   #3
Black Sugar
put some sugar on top...

When adjusting the ratio; PS2 sold about 9.5 millions consoles each year. Which is almost the double of X-box or GC sold.

Last edited by Black Sugar; 07-17-2002 at 02:54 PM.
Black Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 03:31 PM   #4
DBJAY

Also, keep in mind PS2 has had the benefit of numerous price cuts and pack-in promotions (GT3) over the past two years. GC has had only one price cut and no pack-ins. Xbox also only had one major price cut in the US, Euro, and Japan with no pack-in promotions.

The biggest factor in the PS2 success is that it had such a huge lead over the GC and Xbox, and did not compete with them on a worldwide level until May 02 when GC launched in Europe and Xbox a few months before. In the face of little to no competition, the PS2 did incredibly well. Would PS2 have done as well against a new Nintendo and MS system if they all launched at the same time?

How long they can maintain the momentum now that GC and XBox are about to enter year two of their domestic runs with dramtically improved software libraries will be interesting to watch.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 05:22 AM   #5
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Bahamut
When adjusting the ratio; PS2 sold about 9.5 millions consoles each year. Which is almost the double of X-box or GC sold.
PS2 didn't sell 9.5 million in the first year. Sony had supply problems and the vast majority of the games sucked the first year. PS2 really hit its stride with the releases of MGS2, Final Fantasy X, Devil May Cry, GTA3, Gran Turismo 3 and a few others.
Sony also had a legion of Playstation fanboys to rely on.

The Xbox had no fanboys, just some hardcore Bungie and DOA fanboys and maybe some computer and Dreamcast fanboys(because of DOA3, PGR and JSRF). Microsoft has had to work their asses off and spend some major bucks to get to 4 million and establish the Xbox name brand.

Microsoft is also just starting to release the Xbox in China/Hong Kong/ROC, New Zeland and S. Korea. S. Korea might be big for the Xbox, because they hate Japanese consoles and are hardcore PC gamers. S. Korea also has the highest percentage of broadband users of any country in the world, something like over 50%.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 08:14 PM   #6
Pikachu

What are the break-downs for the 4 million units?

Given the system is not doing well in Japan, the ratio is probably like 6:3:1 in US : Euro : Japan??
Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 12:16 AM   #7
aneep

Quote:
Originally posted by Pikachu

Given the system is not doing well in Japan, the ratio is probably like 6:3:1 in US : Euro : Japan??
japan is only a small blip in the overall xbox sales so far so i think its more 12:3:1

xbox launch timing(in EU and JP) is off IMO (non holiday season), they could have done better if they launch at the same time as US launch (although supply will probably be greatly constricted, 3 market at the same time)

though this year's holiday season could probably bring up the userbase significantly (compared to normal)

-aneep-
aneep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 12:48 AM   #8
Black Ace
Watching liek a Hwak

Quote:
Originally posted by Pikachu

Yeah probably. MS sells about 2000 Xbox a week in Japan. Its ashame that PSone outsells it, even wonder swan color.
Old 07-20-2002, 12:55 AM   #9
Overlord
Akuma to odorou

Memory.

I think Xbox and PSone were tied last week. It's kinda good and bad at the same time.

Old 07-20-2002, 03:07 AM   #10
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

There might be more Xbox owners in Australia, than in Japan. After the price drop in Australia, the Xbox was even outselling the PS2 for a couple of months, not sure if it still is. Halo, PGR and DOA3 were even outselling GTA3 and MGS2 for a little while.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 06:51 PM   #11
aneep

my thoughts

maybe Xbox is selling better weekly in Australia now compared to Japan ('bout 3000+ weekly after E3 pricecut), but Xbox sold significantly higher in Japan during its launch (i'm assuming AU market is considerably smaller than JP market, esp. if u look at the population count of both countries)

so, in the end, Xbox userbase is bigger in JP than in AU

that said, AU is still one region where Xbox is doing relatively well compared to its competition, i think even beating GC in weekly hw and software sales

-aneep-
aneep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 10:35 PM   #12
b0b

the biggest factor in hardware sales is games.

PS2 has the best 3rd party games therefor the highest sales not to mention they've had a years lead with some of there best games, GTA3, TM:Black, MGS 2, FFX.

Xbox's sales will pick up as more AAA titles show up on store selves, here's a short list of titles you should watch and then compare with the hardware sales data.

Halo Online
MGS2:Substance
Brute Force
Blinx: Time Sweeper
Unreal Championship
Driver 3
DOA Extreme Beach Volleyball <- fanboys = $
Entire Visual Concepts Line
Entire EA Line
Timesplitters 2
Tony Hawk 4

These games alone should boost hardware sells by a factor of 3
b0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 01:42 AM   #13
Rubeus

Re: Memory.

Quote:
Originally posted by Overlord
I think Xbox and PSone were tied last week. It's kinda good and bad at the same time.
What's good and bad?
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 01:51 AM   #14
Overlord
Akuma to odorou

[Insert witty subject title here]

Quote:
Rebeus:
What's good and bad?
Well it is the Japanese numbers. So it's a differant situation over there. It's good to see Xbox selling better than some of the previous weeks. But it's also bad that it's competing in sales with an older system.

Old 07-22-2002, 07:26 AM   #15
Seska

Quote:
Originally posted by DBJAY
Also, keep in mind PS2 has had the benefit of numerous price cuts
Numerous? Really? As far as I know, at least in Europe, the PS2 has only had a single price cut. It used to cost 455 US bucks, then they cut it down to 300.

I heard that witht he whole deal with Xbox and GC slashing its prices, sony was going to do the same, bu at usual they try to rip us off here in Europe.

Ohwell.