The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 06-10-2019, 02:32 PM   #1
Rubeus

Xbox E3 Briefing 2019: Forget Scarlett, the future's already here - it's Game Pass

Makes me think this streaming service is the one that Sony's collaborating with Microsoft?

Quote:
Xbox E3 Briefing 2019: Forget Scarlett, the future's already here - and it's Game Pass

People hoped for a name at least. A date, perhaps? A box, even just a picture of a box - you can dream, right? In the end, Microsoft gave us a lot of talking heads - talking, in all fairness, about fairly specific things - but no box. They gave us a launch window rather than a date, and the whole thing's still at the "project" stage. Project Scarlett: Holidays 2020.

Does it matter? Probably not as much as I initially thought. Just like it probably doesn't matter that most of the big games present on stage tonight were in trailer form with actual gameplay saved for another day. Some of the presentations were odd too: in the Halo Infinite trailer, Master Chief boldly walked across the length of a fairly small room, and took quite a while to do it. Some of them were joyous: having Keanu Reeves on stage for Cyberpunk 2077 is, in 2019, the closest E3 was going to get to an appearance from an actual deity. But none of these things mattered so much as the message that was always there in the background. A drum beat. Game Pass.

Game Pass is an astonishingly good deal at the moment - and not just because, if you pick it up today, it will only cost you a pound. Loads of games ready to play on launch day - and now PC is joining in alongside the Xbox One. Trailer after trailer at the E3 presentation had the same message: playable on day one with Game Pass. Forza 4 Horizon with Lego. Gears 5. Halo Infinite. Seven new studios bought in the last year, and now Double Fine entering the fold. Microsoft is spending a fortune on games that it doesn't want you to actually buy. Or, to put it another way, those studios are making content for Game Pass, aiming to release on something that looks more like Netflix than it looks like the Xbox 360.

(Actually there's more. Starting with a preview this October you'll be able to stream from your Xbox One. You'll have access to your Xbox library and - what's this? - Game Pass. Who needs Project Scarlett when you can eventually stream Halo Infinite straight from your telly?)

By the end of the evening it was the subscription that felt like the true platform - it was the subscription that would be taking on Stadia, and that will presumably be the core that any new Xbox hardware is built around. After the conference ended, there was a slight feeling of disappointment in the office: no name for the new box, no firm date for the calendar. But the future, magically, is already here. It's a big idea, and it charges monthly.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-pass#comments
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 10:32 PM   #2
Nem
Smash bro!

*sigh*

I still don't see how this stuff is gonna work out with responsiveness. The stadia thing will be a good indicator and i am fairly sure it's gonna be disastrous. Even with the hardware on your house, fighting games have some frame delays. This stuff can only add to it.

Wich means that fighting games and action games will always have a delay to them in single player and an even bigger delay online. Only greedy people who don't understand gaming do this. Because they expect they can fool enough plebs like mobile gaming does.
I hope they don't though, cause plebs don't buy "consoles"/gaming services, they buy phones.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:54 AM   #3
Paper exe
Pwnd

I don't get how streaming services can be more profitable than selling each product individually
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #4
Rubeus

The streaming model will definitely kill AAA games, who would want to invest in AAA games in a streaming service and you can't make additional money off AAA games? It could possibly decrease quality of games, because they will all be like shuffleware as you see in App Store.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:17 AM   #5
bujeezus

Times like these make me glad I have a backlog of games I'll never finish in my lifetime. Lol!
Old 06-13-2019, 07:32 AM   #6
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

I jumped on the deal where you convert your remaining xbox live gold time to ultimate gamepass for a dollar. I bought an extra year of gametime before so I have gamepass for pc and xbox till 2021. There's some cool stuff up there. I'm particularly glad I didn't pull the trigger on Ashen on the epic game store sale. Now I don't have to give them any money and I can play it on gamepass.
When life gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! 'I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?' Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's going to burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #7
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujeezus View Post
Times like these make me glad I have a backlog of games I'll never finish in my lifetime. Lol!
I am 100% there with you.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote