The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 01-01-2018, 04:38 AM   #1
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Games You Have Beaten In The Year 2018:

Aims for the year would be to still finish my last remaining import PS2/PS1, lol not sure I'll ever get around to it been saying that every year. Still working on my WiiU collection so I can putt that away as well. Really want to play more Snes titles as well there are so many great looking titles I've never played. Other then that hopefully it'll be another good year with aload of great titles.

2018:

January:
1. Assassin's Creed Unity (Xbox One)
X. Assassin's Creed Unity (Dead Kings DLC) (Xbox One)
2. Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea (PS3)
3. Alone With You (PS4)
4. Get Even (Xbox One)
5. Gravity Rush Remastered (PS4)
6. A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda EX (PC)
7. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (Snes)
8. Constantine (PS2)
9. Arslan: Warriors Of Legend (Xbox One)
10. Quantum Theory (PS3)

February:
11. Blue Reflection (PS4)
12. Living With A Slave - Teaching Feeling (PC)
13. Agatha Christie - The ABC Murders (Xbox One)
14. Resident Evil 5 (Xbox One)
XX. Resident Evil 5 (Desperate Escape/Lost In Nightmares DLC) (Xbox One)
15. Trials Of The Blood Dragon (Xbox One)
16. Life Is Strange: Before The Storm (Xbox One)

March:
17. Ruiner (Xbox One)
18. Kamiko (Switch)
19. Nitro+ Blasterz -Heroines Infinite Duel- (PS4)
20. Pac-Man And The Ghostly Adventures 2 (Xbox 360)
21. Final Fantasy XV: Royal Edition (Xbox One)
22. A Way Out (Xbox One)
XX. Final Fantasy XV (Episode Gladiolus, Prompto, Ignis DLC) (Xbox One)

April:
23. Far Cry Primal (Xbox One)
24. What Remains Of Edith Finch (Xbox One)
25. North (Xbox One)
26. A King's Tale: Final Fantasy XV (Xbox One)
27. Maize (Xbox One)
28. Planet Of The Eyes (Xbox One)
29. The Station (Xbox One)
30. Asemblance (Xbox One)
31. Dark Arcana: The Carnival (Xbox One)
32. Cabela's African Adventures (Xbox One)
33. Brave: The Video Game (Xbox 360)
34. One Eyed Kutkh (Xbox One)
35. Don't Knock Twice (Xbox One)
36. Typoman Revised (Xbox One)

Xbox One: 23, PS4: 4, PS3: 2, PC: 2, XB360: 2, Snes: 1, PS2: 1, Switch: 1.

2017: Xbox One: 55, PC: 40, PS4: 9, 3DS: 8, XB360: 7, Snes: 5, PS3: 3, WiiU: 1, Switch: 1
2017 (129) 2016 (113)2015 (134)2014 (138)2013 (137) 2012 (135) 2011 (125) 2010 (104)

Last edited by Escaflowne2001; Today at 01:44 AM.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 10:17 AM   #2
Nem
Smash bro!

Here we go again!

Hoping for an enjoyable year. My backlog says "present"!

I think the year will start with trails of cold steel 2 or tokyo xanadu. We shall see!

1.Valkyria Revolution PS4
2. Yakuza 0 PS4
3. Yakuza kiwami PS4
4. Battle chasers: Nightwar PS4
5 Outcast: second coming PS4

Last edited by Nem; 03-19-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
Drunken Savior

[STATS]
Games Beaten: 5
Unique Games Beaten: 5
Platforms: PC: 5

1. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (2013) (PC) - January 27 - My favorite Assassin's Creed game so far. Really loved how well they respected the history of the Pirates during the Golden Age of Piracy and how they weaved the story. And the ship combat was fun. Really excited for Ubisoft's upcoming pirate game now, too. Game barely taxed my PC too, I was able to hike up ALL the effects to max and it never dipped under 60fps. Tons of thick volumetric smoke during ship fights with splinters and rubble everywhere. Awesome.
2. Rise of the Tomb Raider (2015) (PC) - February 3 - Aiight. Not as memorable as the first one, and super easy. Up the difficulty from the start. 'Tomb Raider' is default and it's easy mode. 'Season Raider' should have been default and normal, with 'Survivor' being hard mode and 'Extreme Survivor' being the hardest. I think the main reason it didn't feel memorable was that the story was kind of meh...
3. Alien: Isolation (2014) (PC) - March 11 - Probably the best Aliens game ever. Amazing sound design and music. Amazing game throughout, even with the subpar last half of the 3rd act. Played it on hard blind and was amazed at how good this was! If you are thinking of playing this, play it on hard mode! It'll beat your ass a little at first, but if you're crafty and conserve your items/weapons, you'll be fine. Also, fuck those androids! I can deal with the Alien just fine...but the androids? Forget about it!
4. Dishonored (2012) (PC) - March 15 - Fun stealth game with an amazing art direction that I loved. Story was decent, and moved pretty fast, which I liked. I thought it was too short, but it took me 20 hours to beat, so that's not too bad. Normal difficulty is stupid easy if you're a stealth veteran like myself. Glad I finally got around to this one, maybe it's time to look at the sequel too.
5. Doki Doki Literature Club (2016) (PC) - March 16 - Virtual Novel where cute anime girls in a book club fight over you and will do anything to have them become YOUR anime waifu!

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4

Last edited by Drunken Savior; 03-17-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:00 PM   #4
Hagane
Unlucky dog

Yes!

This year I'm going to finish some of those hundreds of games still pending.

Finished:

-Nier Automata ending A. Heard that this game got abecedary endings so probably going to get stuck for a while with this one.

-Nioh: Way of the wise difficulty, now going for Way of the demon difficulty wich is awesome how many enemies and bosses can one shot you. You just can't rage enough.

-Shin Megami Tensei IV: Chaos ending because everyone loves to do whatever the hell they want completing the full set. Got to get SMTIV Final some time later.

-Fire Emblem Echoes: got a bit disappointed towards the end but guess I was expecting more than what I should have given the fact that this is a remake and that previous remakes where not such a big deal also. Got it for 60% discount so no regrets there.
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:23 PM   #5
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Finished my first game of 2018

Human Fall Flat. Fun Physics based puzzle game.
"This seems like a good time for a drink, and a cold calculated speech with sinister overtones. A speech about politics, about order, brotherhood, power. But speeches are for campaigning. Now is the time for action."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:47 PM   #6
Nem
Smash bro!

I sort of finished Valkyria revolution on the PS4.

I say sort of because i lost patience with the penultimate boss randomly 1 shooting my party with no sort of warning and putting me 2 battles behind. It wasn't an hour an a half i was willing to gamble away again and i cba to grind just for it.
So, i just watched the final boss and ending on youtube (who also enjoys to 1 shot the party). It wasn't that i couldn't beat the game, it was just that it was a pointless and random time sink that would gain me the same as watching one hour of youtube.

So, the game isn't as bad as people would have you believe.
The story/narrative and characters is actually really good and why i kept playing for the most part.

The gameplay itself was repetitive and unbalanced. Every enemy is an easy kill and then there's these difficulty spikes on bosses where they have insane life bars and random 1 shot mechanics you can hardly react to. AKA that is just cheap. I had a boss battle last half an hour. It was kind of ridiculous.

So, aside from the fact that it wasn't Valkyria 4 and we can look past that. It was not a terrible game. I would like for this team to work on Skies of Arcadia 2. I think they could make a good job with it.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:52 AM   #7
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

It's been a few years since I've played an Assassin's Creed game but you soon full back into things. This one is on a much smaller scale then the previous couple (Black Flag/III) the whole game takes in Paris with only a couple of trips outside. The game is decent but because of the smaller scale is does get repetitive because the whole things takes place on the streets only and it seems like you are always running around the same areas. I didn't do most of the side missions because I didn't really have the urge to but I did do the murder mystery ones with involve searching a crime scene, examining the clues and picking the guilty party which was interesting. Every few sequences there was a extra bit where you were transported in time for example climbing Effiel Tower while getting attacked by WWII fighters planes. This bits were interesting but were very short and mainly involved in getting from A to B and that's about it.

Like the Assassin's Creed series I'm way behind on the Atelier series. Finally getting to the last PS3 game in the series. This is one has interesting characters and story and I enjoyed my time with it but it has it's own problems. This is the first time in a while where the time limits in the series have been removed but it's still built like there should be one (a late decision maybe). However because the time limit isn't there the game seems really easy because you can take as much time as you want to meet the goals, the series has never been about fighting monsters and with the time limits gone you can breeze through the game with ease. I never even broke a sweet even with the final boss. I enjoyed soaking in the story though as they explains the secrets from the last three games.

This one is part walking simulator, part stealth shooter. The story is good but it's the kind of game you need to be wide awake to play you need to read every document and listen closely to the speaking to get the whole story. It was a little slow at times but well worth the time if you into mysteries and trying to figure out what's going on before it's revealed.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:28 AM   #8
Drunken Savior

LOVED THIS GAME! I was kinda over the whole franchise after playing all the Ezio games and then getting dreadfully bored of Assassin's Creed III. But I always heard that Black Flag was good.

So I just watched the cutscenes of Assassin's Creed III to know the story (I didn't want to feel like I was missing out on anything) and jumped into Black Flag. The fact that it was like, 80% a pirate game and 20% an Assassin's Creed game was actually very good. And I know a little bit about the Golden Age of Piracy, so I was thrilled to see how well they actually weaved a story involving some of the most notorious pirates during that time. Very well done, really loved their characterizations of Mary Reed and Blackbeard.

Probably my favorite Assassin's Creed game of all time. But I am kinda worried I'm really not gonna like Unity nor Syndicate. And, to be fair, Origins doesn't look too appealing either. We'll see...

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 01-27-2018, 10:21 AM   #9
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Black Flag is legitimately great.

After the turds that were 1 & 2, the rest of the series wasn't worth touching.

I liked this game so much that I played through it on PS3 AND THEN on PS4.

Black Flag is the only Ass's Creed game you need to play.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:37 AM   #10
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

I can tell you Unity is nothing like Black Flag. In Unity everything as pretty much been scaled back again the whole game is set in one area. In and around the streets of France. It's certainly no huge adventure. Reminded me a lot more of the earlier Assassin's Creed games which is what they were going for I think.

Last edited by Escaflowne2001; 01-31-2018 at 03:52 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #11
Drunken Savior

Yeah, I've decided to just watch the cutscenes for it and maybe pick up Syndicate on sale. But I might just watch the cutscenes for Syndicate too, and wait for the summer sales for Origins.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 02-03-2018, 10:37 AM   #12
Drunken Savior

Thought it was ok. Not bad, but not amazing either. The game is stupid easy too, don't play on the normal difficulty if you've played any game like this before (first Tomb Raider, Uncharted)...I jumped it up to a higher difficulty a few hours in because it was laughably simple.

Beautiful game though, I was getting 1440p at 60+ fps throughout the entire thing with max setting (hair effects off though).

Also the witch DLC was pretty awesome. Better story than the main campaign.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 02-06-2018, 06:50 AM   #13
Nem
Smash bro!

I beat Yakuza 0.

It was about what all Yakuza games are. Great story, mediocre mini-games and side-quests. The combat was still mediocre aswell, but a bit better.
From what i played this was the best Yakuza game, but i do think the series would benefit from some focus. Less quantity and more quality to the side content and combat system.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:31 PM   #14
Nem
Smash bro!

Yakuza kiwami.

More of the same, but not as good as zero. It felt like an expansion in how it wraps up the story.

This time, with more focus on the combat and less on the mini-games in terms of design though.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:02 AM   #15
Nem
Smash bro!

Battle chasers: Nightwar.

Best way to describe it is Diablo meets a great turn based system, meets the battle chasers comic.

The story was barebones, but the gameplay was pretty good.

It had some bugs and fps hiccups on the ps4, but i'm sure it's like that on every system. From the credits, it was programmed by only one guy. Shortcuts were made and some bugs fell through.
Still, pretty solid game. Would like to see them have a better budget and taking it further with a sequal.