The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 11-03-2017, 09:58 PM   #1
Rubeus

Third-Party Nintendo Switch Games Are So Damn Big

The simple fix is to make 48GB or 64GB game carts right? Why can't they do that already?

Click for full size

Quote:
Third-Party Nintendo Switch Games Are So Damn Big

Just before the Nintendo Switch launched, we wrote about a game that required more space than the system’s 24GB of usable onboard memory . In March it was an exception, but by the end of the year it’s already becoming the norm for third-party releases on the platform.

Nintendo’s own releases on the Switch keep things slim, with downloads for Super Mario Odyssey, Arms and Splatoon 2 ranging from 2-6GB. That’s perfectly managable.

But many of the big third-party releases for the platform are coming in much bigger. LA Noire’s digital version is 29GB, but even the physical release will require a 14GB download. Doom’s digital version is 25GB, while its retail release only includes the singleplayer campaign on the cartridge, with the multiplayer stuff requiring a 9GB download.

Even if you buy the physical edition of NBA 2K18, there’s a 6.8GB download once you first start it up, an “additional software update” that’s 16GB and then you’ll also need 5GB of memory per save file. And Resident Evil Revelations is even bigger: Revelations 1 is 13GB and Revelations 2 is 26GB if you get the digital version, and if you buy the cartridge, you only get the first game, with the second having to be downloaded.

Oh, and anyone buying WWE 2K18 on cartridge still has a 24GB download to look forward to.

The reasons for this are pretty clear: Nintendo’s games have been coded from the ground up to run on this hardware, while all these third-party releases are ports from other platforms. And Switch cartridges are only 16GB in capacity, so when there’s overrun, it’s got to be shifted to a download.

So if you own a Switch and want to play any of these games, you might want to have an SD card (or two) on your Christmas list if you want to actually play them.

https://kotaku.com/third-party-ninte...big-1820058797
Rubeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 10:47 PM   #2
Drunken Savior

http://a.co/8CuSpD8

Almost the cost of a second Switch.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:58 PM   #3
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I got a 128gb sd card for the switch for 40 dollars. Lexar one. Hopefully not a shit one that will break. I think too that you can hotswap the SD cards on the switch. I will google it to find out!

But, blah, just get the physical releases, the carts are so small, you can get a case that holds 12 of them and it easily fits in your pocket. Only real annoying thing is switching out the games.

Its not like the games cost more than buying them digitally.

edit, to change SD cards at any time with different games loaded on it, just have to power off the system, the system will find the games that are on the other one and show a icon to say that some games aren't there, but are perfectly fine doing it, and you can just change them again when you want to play a certain game.
Other option is... to uninstall and download other games you want, UNLESS you want all your games ready at any moment you want to play them.

so yah, just have to make sure the system is off when switching with another sd card and it's all good.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:05 AM   #4
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Good thing I'm only going to be buying exclusives on the Switch then or indie games that end up only getting cartridge/disc releases on the Switch like Poi.

Just installing Wolfenstein II on the XB1 at the moment and it comes in at 49gbs.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:45 AM   #5
Drunken Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime View Post
But, blah, just get the physical releases, the carts are so small, you can get a case that holds 12 of them and it easily fits in your pocket. Only real annoying thing is switching out the games.
I think the concern is that day 1 updates and subsequent updates will take over the included Switch storage easily. Yeah, you could just delete/re-download the updates when you want to play them...but when we're talking about multi GB downloads...well...you can see the concern.

At this point, if you're a serious Switch player...you need to get a good C10 SD card for your Switch. My suggestion was a little tongue in cheek, because you can get two SD cards at 200GB a piece for less than half of the 400GB one. I have this one in my Nvidia Shield Tablet and it's been great. But if you're thinking of going mostly digital with your Switch, you might just wanna bite the bullet and get the 400...hot swapping SD cards just seems a little sketchy over time. Easy to lose/break these things when they aren't in the device themselves.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:09 AM   #6
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

I keep thinking about getting a Switch....and then I keep thinking "Just wait til the next version with more memory comes out".

We all know it's going to happen eventually, it's Nintendo.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:40 AM   #7
Clockwork

Forget a 64GB card, publishers are too cheap to even use the current 32GB one. Take Two would rather use an 8GB card and have you download the rest of the game, like they did with 2K18 and LA Noire. Only DQ Heroes 1&2 so far has used the 32GB card.
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #8
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

I mean, that totally sucks, but I really have no intentions of buying 3rd party on Switch. That's what my PS4 is for an has been since PS2/Xbox days. I only intend to buy Switch exclusives so I should be good for awhile since the next one is Xenoblade and after that nothing.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #9
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Maybe with the switch being really successful, perhaps if enough feedback comes back about wanting more internal memory, they will do it. Probably not, cause the system's microsd card slot can accept up to 2 TBs of memory. So whenever that does happen and affordable, I think their reasoning is, you waste your money instead of us doing it.

But, they could have easily put in 128GB of internal memory themselves without it driving up the costs that much.

Also, give it time once people make a hacked cartridge for it like the ones on the DS/3DS, load it full of games! If possible and I could copy my retail games onto it, I will buy one and do that and keep my games nice and safe so they last longer.

Nintendo would then accuse me of pirating, even tho I'm not, I just want a copy so my original doesn't get wrecked
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote