The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 07-16-2017, 01:44 PM   #1
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
1st Female lead as Doctor Who.

This is going to be a fun time, the hate has already begun. Me, don't care, I only care if the writing is good. Like last series was just blahhhhhh, awful. I felt bad for Peter Capaldi, he got stuck acting for those scripts.

I'm curious of how much hate this will get, like when Doctor Octopus became Spider-man for over 2 years, it was a fun time to read the comments on that one. Like when they were accusing Ock as Spidey of Rape. lol Yes, I am not joking.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #2
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

I shall keep it civil and simply say pass. I was already considering dumping it Capaldi's seasons have been a chore to watch.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #3
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
They really were a chore. I agree on that. Which was a shame. Moffat really went downhill the last few seasons.

My main problem with them doing this isn't cause they want to, but for political reasons, if there wasn't political pressure to do this, they still wouldn't do this. I already figured they were going to do this, they were building to it since series 8.

http://brobible.com/entertainment/ar...-donald-trump/ At least I'm not the only one who is sick of seeing all the political stuff in everything. Thank you, Trey Parker! But, Principal PC was pretty funny.

Last edited by spider-prime; 07-16-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:59 PM   #4
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

Look, as the War Doctor established, Doctor Who can regenerate into a form that is contrary to his character or one he needs for the moment. So, if they complete this season and are able to follow that logic for the regeneration being female: I don't care. I will watch it faithfully. However, if this was done to make a political statement then that is the most idiotic reason. After the first couple episodes, you will be able to tell their reason.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:10 AM   #5
Drunken Savior

I actually read the entire run of Superior Spiderman after thinking it was just a stupid publicity stunt and then it being heavily recommended to me by a huge spiderman fan. I was amazed at how much fun it was and how such a weird concept was executed so well.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:25 AM   #6
spider-prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavedFromSin View Post
Look, as the War Doctor established, Doctor Who can regenerate into a form that is contrary to his character or one he needs for the moment. So, if they complete this season and are able to follow that logic for the regeneration being female: I don't care. I will watch it faithfully. However, if this was done to make a political statement then that is the most idiotic reason. After the first couple episodes, you will be able to tell their reason.
If last season was any indication, it probably is why they are doing it. But, one of the creators of Doctor Who has said Time lords can turn into women and vice versa, but BBC kept shutting it down when it was suggested.

Jimmy Fallon basically said that most of the late night talk shows are forced into making Trump jokes cause it is making ratings, even CNN admitted they were doing that as well.

But, these type of changes to a show can be good or bad, it all depends on the writing and the acting. For some, like Marvel, it is backfiring on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior View Post
I actually read the entire run of Superior Spiderman after thinking it was just a stupid publicity stunt and then it being heavily recommended to me by a huge spiderman fan. I was amazed at how much fun it was and how such a weird concept was executed so well.
It was the best part of Dan Slott's run, but it's going downhill cause of over hyped stories that don't go anywhere or do anything. Rumor is he might be off of Spider-man finally cause Spidey used to be their main seller and it's dipped quite low in sales compared to DC's sales.

But, I only see them doing this also cause they know this type of change causes shock from people and causes them to tune in, even if for just one episode/issue.
Like when they killed off Superman, even tho he was coming right back, it sold insane numbers. So, it became the norm to kill off characters, even tho they are going to bring them back, so now that changed to they're going to mix up the characters with diverse characters. Even just for short term ratings/sales, they will keep doing this as long as it works.

Joe Quesada admitted that too about always restarting Marvel issues back to #1 every year or so, cause they sell.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #7
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

The big 13'th doctor reveal left me disappointed to realise that John Hurt wasn't counted as a Numbered Doctor. I know he didn't have his own series, but still

Also I liked the Capaldi seasons. As for the reveal, well lady Master Grew on me when I didn't expect her to so I'll withhold judgement till I see how good the actress and writing are. Capaldi kinda got me used to an older Doctor though. Might have been nice to have a role for an older woman.
"This seems like a good time for a drink, and a cold calculated speech with sinister overtones. A speech about politics, about order, brotherhood, power. But speeches are for campaigning. Now is the time for action."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #8
spider-prime

One thing I was thinking about how they could avoid all the hate is they could have used River Song to be "doctor who" since she is Mrs. Doctor Who They could have made this season that shows what happens to her before her actual death. But, they kind of ruined that idea themselves by having it the Christmas special was her last episode before she dies.

I don't think many people would complain if she took over for him for a few series, just have it something happens to him, like stuck in a time thingie or whatever lol
Old 07-20-2017, 12:00 AM   #9
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Two things.

1) There hasn't been a good Spider-Man comic since Kraven's Last Hunt in the early 90s by McFarlane. Everything after is shit. He's probably got the record for the best character being mishandled for the longest period of time ever.

2) The character of The Doctor is a man. This change was done to appease a very vocal minority who wouldn't watch the currently because there's a man acting in the role. They will abandon the show as soon as another man is cast. It is entirely a political statement, and it deserves to fail. I will not be watching.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:18 AM   #10
spider-prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
Two things.

1) There hasn't been a good Spider-Man comic since Kraven's Last Hunt in the early 90s by McFarlane. Everything after is shit. He's probably got the record for the best character being mishandled for the longest period of time ever.
Mcfarlane never wrote that story and that came before the 90s and Mcfarlane was mostly a artist, not a writer back then.

Quote:

2) The character of The Doctor is a man. This change was done to appease a very vocal minority who wouldn't watch the currently because there's a man acting in the role. They will abandon the show as soon as another man is cast. It is entirely a political statement, and it deserves to fail. I will not be watching.
Half true, One of the creators of Doctor Who said he could turn into a woman, but it probably was done to appease the feminists cause why wasn't it done before?
Old 07-20-2017, 02:36 AM   #11
Einhander

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime View Post
Mcfarlane never wrote that story and that came before the 90s and Mcfarlane was mostly a artist, not a writer back then.
My bad. I was thinking of the McFarlane run with "Torment". I got them mixed up because Kraven's family was in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime View Post
Half true, One of the creators of Doctor Who said he could turn into a woman, but it probably was done to appease the feminists cause why wasn't it done before?
He also tried to stop the Daleks from appearing on the show and wanted it to be only educational. If he'd had his way, the show would have gone off the air decades ago and would be a minor curiosity at best now. I don't have much stock in his half-assed ideas.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:51 AM   #12
Nem
Smash bro!

I hate race washing and sex washing. It's what i'm gonna say. I didn't hate Capaldi's seasons either, though the first one was meh.

But i certainly ain't excited with this. They should have picked a young guy and give it a new jump start with the new writer. This can possibly spell doom for the show... and what for? The fans didn't ask for it. It was caving to outside pressures. Let's hope the series doesn't pay the price for it.

On that note i hated what they did with MJ in spiderman homecoming (watched it recently). This crap has got to stop. You can't change established characters and disrespect their legacy to appeased social nazi's. That is not the way for equality.

And btw Jodie wittaker looks like a very good actress, it's just a shame how this all goes down.

If you want to see how dumb this can become... imagine if Riversong comes back, or gets a new regenaration. What happens then? Will we have 2 women making out... or does she regenarate into a guy. Awkward or what?! Geez...
Old 07-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #13
Einhander

I'm sure when I write books called "Martin Poppins" or "Andy of Green Gables" there will be absolutely no outcry from anyone and they will be welcomed with open arms.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #14
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

I'm Martin Poppins Ya'll!
"This seems like a good time for a drink, and a cold calculated speech with sinister overtones. A speech about politics, about order, brotherhood, power. But speeches are for campaigning. Now is the time for action."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:14 PM   #15
FinalSolace2
IRAQ- Please assimilate forget past

Why can't they make the next Doctor a Dog- like an Alsatian- in a transformation gone a little wrong

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
FinalSolace2 is offline   Reply With Quote