Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 06-15-2017, 12:55 AM   #1
Rubeus

E3 2017: The Winners & Losers

Click for full size

Quote:
E3 2017: The Winners & Losers

Click for full size

You did not come here for a nuanced discussion of the positives inherent in every E3 press conference, and the love we all share for this medium. You came here for blood, and it is blood you shall receive.

While E3 is supposed to be a place where the video game industry’s biggest players present their wares in a bid to get you all excited about everything, it invariably ends up a contest, in which the game-playing public declare that some showings were better than others, and that the losers should thus be put to death.

To assist you, dear reader, here are our own takes on which games/companies have walked away from this week showered in accolades, and also which face a violent end in the court of public opinion.

THE WINNERS

Click for full size

SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY - Jazz, hats, taxis, weddings, tanks: this is a weird Mario game, but it’s also shaping up to be a very good one.

BEYOND GOOD & EVIL 2 - My, this looks different since the last time we saw it. How nice.

WOLFENSTEIN II: THE NEW COLOSSUS - We weren’t into the last Wolfenstein for the shooting, we were in it for the story, and that looks like it’s being well catered for here with a ground floor view of a Nazi Americana.

MARIO + RABBIDS KINGDOM BATTLE - We were all so ready to laugh at this game. But a Mario vs XCOM joint? That’s interesting. Pity they didn’t call it Mario Tactics, though.

EA’S SINGLEPLAYER SPORTS RPGs - Sports games have slanted their offerings towards the lucrative multiplayer market for years. It’s nice to see the emphasis—inspired by the success of rival NBA 2K—sliding back towards the loner, with three of EA Sports’ big releases this year (FIFA, NBA Live and Madden) each including a cinematic singleplayer campaign.

Click for full size

SKULL & BONES - Assassin’s Creed IV without the Assassin nonsense, and with new sea shanties, is a game to get excited about.

ASSASSIN’S CREED ORIGINS - Oh, did we say Assassin nonsense? This doesn’t look like nonsense at all, with Origins looking like a mix of Breath of the Wild’s acrobatic combat blended with Ghost Recon’s drone warfare.

SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS - Yet another remaster would have been pushing it with this game, but thankfully this is a full-blown remake, meaning even those who have played it to death on PS2 and/or PS3 will find new stuff to poke at and enjoy.

METROID - The people cried out for a new Metroid game. They got two. What the fuck.

THE LOSERS

Click for full size

PRESS CONFERENCES - For as long as I can remember, there has always been a “winner” when it comes to the big publisher’s E3 press conferences, and everyone else was left to worry about just far they’d fallen behind. This year, I don’t think anyone nailed it. Microsoft showed a lot of games but not many interesting ones, Sony’s show was a procession of stuff we’d already seen, Ubisoft’s was competent, and the less we say about EA (zzzz) and Bethesda (just not enough games for their own show) the better. 2017 has been a year for small, individual highlights, not barnstorming presentations as a whole.

Also:

GRAN TURISMO - Gran Turismo was once a jewel in Sony’s crown, a certified system-seller. In 2017, the series has slid so far down the company’s (and public’s) pecking order that the upcoming Gran Turismo Sport didn’t even make it into Sony’s E3 press conference. It was a sad sight to behold.

ESPORTS COMMENTERS - We’re not talking about the real ones. You guys do good work. I mean the fakes ones that companies drag out to narrate gameplay demonstrations at E3. It is excruciating. Please stop.

PLAYSTATION VITA - Undertale is coming to Vita, something even Sony’s official tweet failed to mention. Aside from that, it was another agonising major show for Vita owners, with enough news to keep the system alive, and thus too much news to let us officially put the handheld out of its misery.

BETHESDA’S CREATION CLUB - No matter what they call it or what kind of spin they put on it, every time Bethesda tries to trot out a way of getting people to pay for mods (or even just exert some control over the market for them), the people get angry.

And that’s it! Literally everything else was just fine.

http://kotaku.com/e3-2017-the-winners-losers-1796043953
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 01:06 AM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I agree with a lot of that.

Nintendo and somewhat Sony all showed stuff I cared about while Xbush just couldn't get me to care still. All their good exclusives are still coming to PC.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:24 AM   #3
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Bethesda had a good show announcing Wolfenstein, Dishonored and The Evil Within and better still they are all releasing this year.

MS had a decent show and showed a lot of good games that I'll be getting and it was great to see the new Metro finally announced. Code Vein and Crackdown 3 in action.

Nintendo had a good show as well Metroid Prime 4, Kirby, Yoshi getting announced weren't that surprising but good to see. Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 are looking very good.

Sony had the most disappointing show but Spiderman is looking decent as is Days Gone.

Ubi Soft and EA were so-so.

Focus Interactive are showing a few nice looking games in Vampyr, The Plague, Call Of Cthulhu.

Limited Run Games announced a boatload of upcoming games definitely a winner there.

Croixleur Sigma (PS4, PS Vita), Layers of Fear (PS4), Bard’s Gold (PS4, PS Vita), Ghost Blade HD (PS4), Factotum 90 (PS4, PS Vita), Mercenary Kings (PS4, PS Vita), Claire: Extended Cut (PS4, PS Vita), Jotun (PS4), Aero (PS4), The Flame in the Flood (PS4), Kero Blaster (PS4), 2064: Read Only Memories (PS4), Volume (PS4), Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PS4), VA-11 HALL-A (PS Vita), RIVE (PS4), Furi: Definitive Edition (PS4), Ocenahorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas (PS4, PS Vita), Dariusburst Chronicles Saviours (PS Vita), Drive! Drive! Drive! (PS4), The Bit.TRIP (PS4, PS Vita), Night Trap 25th Anniversary (PS4), Salt & Sanctuary (PS4, PS Vita), YIIK (PS4, PS Vita), Sundered (PS4), Home (PS4, PS Vita), Cosmic Star Heroine (PS4, PS Vita), Nuclear Throne (PS4, PS Vita), Fallen Legion (PS4, PS Vita), Tharsis (PS4), Plague Road (PS4, PS Vita), Battle Princess Madelyn (PS4, PS Vita), Sharin no Kuni (PS Vita), Rabi-Ribi (PS4, PS Vita), Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap (PS4), Ys Origin (PS4, PS Vita)

Amazing!!
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:16 AM   #4
Princess Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime View Post
I agree with a lot of that.

Nintendo and somewhat Sony all showed stuff I cared about while Xbush just couldn't get me to care still. All their good exclusives are still coming to PC.
This may sound a little bit shallow but what exactly do you mean by all their good exclusives are still coming to PC?
Princess Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:11 AM   #5
Hagane
Unlucky dog

It means that the people at microsoft are dumb enough to keep releasing their own games on pc wich means that aside from the comodity of playing on a console there's no reason to get an xbox one because their exclusives keep coming on pc (and we know that xbox one serioussly lacks console only titles) wich most of the time the games runs and looks better than in consoles and also probably the free online play, better online servers and wacky mods.

So to sum up powering up a pc is considered a better investment than buying a xbox one because most of the the games under microsoft brand are getting released on pc.
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:20 PM   #6
Nem
Smash bro!

Mario and Rabbids is pretty far from a winner. Who even asked for that?

AC Origins is the same. How is that anywhere even near Breath of the wild? It's more of the same. Now, with a shield.

I would add that God of war was a winner and one would have to be blind to not have it in the list. The gameplay looked like GoW and not like a souls clone like last time we saw it.

I would also say The evil within 2 was a winner. It is doing what Capcom couldn't do with RE and had the most kickass trailer of the show imo.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:55 PM   #7
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Dai View Post
This may sound a little bit shallow but what exactly do you mean by all their good exclusives are still coming to PC?
read the quote below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagane View Post
It means that the people at microsoft are dumb enough to keep releasing their own games on pc wich means that aside from the comodity of playing on a console there's no reason to get an xbox one because their exclusives keep coming on pc (and we know that xbox one serioussly lacks console only titles) wich most of the time the games runs and looks better than in consoles and also probably the free online play, better online servers and wacky mods.

So to sum up powering up a pc is considered a better investment than buying a xbox one because most of the the games under microsoft brand are getting released on pc.

I even said to myself, if they have at least one exclusive that is only on xbox and not PC or anywhere else, I will go and buy the xbox one s just to watch 4k blurays and play that one game I'm hyped for, none happened, cause normally if there is one game that excites me, I will still go out and buy a few others for the console.

But, meh, this way is cheaper and saves on space, I have too many consoles still hooked up.

Now excuse me while I go play QuackShot on the Genesis that is hooked up to my 32 inch CRT TV....
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote