The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 03-04-2017, 02:34 AM   #1
Rubeus

Nintendo Switch doesn't play well with skins or stickers

That's annoying, I always want to put a screen protector on my tablet and of course the Switch

Click for full size

Quote:
Nintendo Switch doesn't play well with skins or stickers

That is one horrific jpg

If you were hoping to deck out your pristine new Nintendo Switch with a vinyl skin or wrap, you're gonna want to pump the breaks on that idea. As relayed by skin maker dbrand, there are issues.

"We're here to make a public service announcement that under no circumstances should you be buying a vinyl skin / wrap for your Nintendo Switch. Seems like a counter-intuitive narrative from the world's leading skin manufacturer, right? Allow us to explain.

Simply put, the coating which exists on the JoyCons (and the console more on that later) is either cured or designed in a way which doesn't play well with adhesive.

We received the Switch about 96 hours ago and immediately began prototyping. After a couple of prototypes, we saw minor indications of the outer coating beginning to peel off. Nintendo advised that the device we had in-hand was not the final build, although we assumed that pertained more to the software than the hardware.

We continued prototyping and after about 24 hours of applying and removing prototypes, the JoyCons looked like this - image link. At this point, we hit pause on the JoyCons and continued onto the console."

The company also ran into similar problems with final, consumer-grade hardware. That goes for both the Joy-Con controllers and the main handheld Switch unit itself. So, no dice. dbrand won't be selling these skins, and it advises against buying similar products from other manufacturers.

Click for full size

I wouldn't fault anyone for assuming that skins would come on and off without major repercussions. If you have any sticker-obsessed friends, give 'em a shout. At least in the case of this manufacturer, dbrand, full refunds are being issued to folks who pre-ordered skins for their Switch.

https://www.destructoid.com/nintendo...s-422328.phtml
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 07:48 PM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I got the Zelda stickers/screen protector for it, which is officially licensed by Nintendo and sold on their online store. I don't have that problem with it and other people who have it say the same.
So I think this is mostly a Dbrand problem and not the stickers themselves.
But if it does cause problems, at least it's mostly just the joy cons that will have the problem, I didn't put the ones on the dock, cause I don't care about what the dock looks like and the other plus side is at least all the things that can get damaged can be replaced by Nintendo. You can get a new dock from their site.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:21 PM   #3
martyre89

I don't have that problem with it and other people who have it say the same. Try to reload the settings, you can find all the info here 192.168.1.1. It might help you. Hope I was helpful. Take care
martyre89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:00 PM   #4
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
what does that have to do with stickers wrecking the plastic?
Old 03-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #5
Reality
Sin and Punishment

You need to reload your sticker settings. Thought it was explained really well.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:31 AM   #6
spider-prime

ohhhhhhhhh, ok done, now what?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:41 AM   #7
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Pfff don't look at me. I don't own a Switch.