The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 02-23-2017, 01:23 PM   #1
Rubeus

Physical Nintendo Switch carts don't require a mandatory install

I imagine it'll be like playing 3DS carts.

Click for full size

Quote:
Physical Nintendo Switch carts don't require a mandatory install

As most of us expected, you won't need to install data in a mandatory fashion when using a cart, like you would if you're using physical media on the Xbox One and PS4.

After booting up Zelda: Breath of the Wild on the Switch this week, I noticed that after popping the cart in, the game just loaded instantly and didn't require anything else. Although day one patches and possible "booster packs" (like faster load times and the like) are a possibility, you won't have any space issues if you're going solely physical. It's not like we expected there to be mandatory installs with a cartridge, but confirmation is always nice.

Going physical is particularly easy to do on the Switch at launch, as a ton of developers are releasing physical editions, even for ports.

https://www.destructoid.com/physical...l-420438.phtml
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 08:39 PM   #2
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Likely the reason for this is because if you install Zelda, you literally use up HALF of the Switches available storage space...
Old 02-24-2017, 03:00 AM   #3
Hagane
Unlucky dog

It was going to be another mess if they implemented mandatory install given the fact that the internal space is pretty low.

Now users will have to debate between dlc or digital downloads, this is great isn't it?
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:23 AM   #4
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I just hope they allow for the sd card to be switched out for another one, the wii and wii u can do that, same with the 3ds, but the new 3ds only allows for one card at a time to ever work on it so data on another card won't work with it till you reformat it, so it makes me worried for the switch on this.

swapping out SD cards with digital games on them is the main reason I won't mind the space problem.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:46 PM   #5
Nem
Smash bro!

Yeah... the memory would go with 2 games if they did.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:25 PM   #6
Rubeus

So is the Switch OS based on Android? It should be swapable, in fact there are WiFi microsd cards out that that can connect your device to a hard drive on your PC, so you have unlimited disk space.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:29 PM   #7
bujeezus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime View Post
I just hope they allow for the sd card to be switched out for another one, the wii and wii u can do that, same with the 3ds, but the new 3ds only allows for one card at a time to ever work on it so data on another card won't work with it till you reformat it, so it makes me worried for the switch on this.

swapping out SD cards with digital games on them is the main reason I won't mind the space problem.
I did not know this!
Old 02-24-2017, 05:10 PM   #8
Joe Redifer
Olé!

It would be dumb to require an install unless the cards are super slow.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:19 PM   #9
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bujeezus View Post
I did not know this!
When I did the transfer from the 3ds to my new 3ds, it told me that data from another card must be combined on one sd card cause the 3ds won't allow data from another card later on and the card will only read from that new 3ds.
Some shit like that. So I couldn't have one card like the old 3ds with a set of games on it and then turn it off and switch it out with another one with more games on it.

If they allowed the cards to be switched out, then the memory problem isn't too bad then, just buy a 128gb card every so often.

Guess I will find out next week!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote