The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 01-01-2017, 04:19 AM   #1
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Your Top 10 Games of the Year?

1) Wasteland 2 Director’s Cut – Despite being almost as buggy as a Bethesda game, this was a game I thoroughly enjoyed. A sequel I waited 28 years for, it has solid combat, a story that is compelling and ties into the first game, chhttp://the-magicbox.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=626164oices that have *actual* consequences, unlike Bioware games, and mostly useful skill trees. If you like old school RPGs, this is thoroughly worth your time.

2) Aragami – Dripping with atmosphere, this is closest thing to a Tenchu game we’ve gotten for ages. You play a ghost designed to get vengeance for someone, it’s a supernatural stealth game. Fun stealth mechanics and neat death scenes (though there could have been a few more) make this totally worth your time if you like old school stealth games

3) Doom – What’s there to say? This is an amazing package. Tight, intuitive mechanics, fun kills, a great soundtrack AND the best part of the game is the single player. If you like shooters, you need to pick this up.

4) Lego Marvel Superheroes – An amazing roster, a story that is tied to the comics, NOT the movies, fun cameos and solid gameplay. I don’t play that many Lego games but this is the best one I’ve ever played – yes even better than Star Wars

5) Until Dawn – Yep, this is from last year but I only played it in January. I figured out what was happening well before the “bad guy” was revealed, but this was a fun, incredibly atmospheric game. Yes, it’s more like an interactive novel or a Tell Tale game but there hasn’t really been a horror based of this type before and it was past due. Mostly solid acting, though the modeling does leave a bit of the uncanny valley effect. It’s worth playing through more than once just to see how your choices affect the game.

6) Tower of Guns – What’s this? A shooting rogue like? Yep, that’s exactly what this is. Levels are randomly generated and you get as far as you can and gain what experience you can while shooting anything that moves. it’s rewarding, addicting and most of all, fun to play. Worth your time.

7) Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight
– This is one of my favourite series on 3DS. A remake of Etrian Odyssey 2 with a new story mode, this is an old school rogue like dungeon crawler with the guns. Recommended for patient people only, as it requires dedication and *grinding*. The exploration is rewarding though.

8) Shadow of the Beast – A remake of the Commodore Amiga game, this game seemed to have a lot of love put in it. Very atmospheric, fun combat and some pretty amazing boss battles. This is probably a niche game for niche tastes, but I had fun with it.

9) Dragon Quest Heroes – An unusual game from SE, this is an action RPG with Dragon Quest Heroes. Amazing production values and care were put into this game. Fun to play, but a missed opportunity for couch co-op as it’s single player only. A fun diversion.

10) The Witcher 3: GOTY Edition – Not the second coming of Jesus that people claim, but it’s a solid game with a pretty good battle system (Arkham Batman’s but with a longer reach because of your sword), good voice acting and a pretty engaging story. The soundtrack is pretty nondescript though, and the horse is even more of a pain in the ass than Aggro in Shadow of the Colossus.

Honourable mention: Osu! Tatake! Ouendan! – FINALLY got my hands on this game after looking on various trips to Japan for the last 4 years. Just as crazy as the others, with great music. Doesn’t require much Japanese – worth tracking down!

Disappointment of the year: Final Fantasy 15
I fucking hate the combat. This isn’t even an RPG, this is a dumbed down open world action game. The boy band aesthetics? Fine. The road trip motif? Great! Cindy? I don’t care. What ruins the game is the god awful fucking combat. Magic is utterly useless and winning by pressing down the circle just feels stupid. This should have stayed unfinished.

Lol of the Year: No Man's Sky

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 08:55 PM   #2
Rubeus

I haven't played that many good games in 2016

1. Yakuza 0 - had a blast with this game in the holidays, it's very much like an RPG with action oriented battles
2. Fire Emblem Fates - played both FEF Conquest and Birthrite
3. Dragon Quest VII - they changed the game so much from the PSone version
4. Pokemon Go - probably spent a LOT of time on my phone
5. Pokemon Sun/Moon - game is good but battles are too slow
6. Dragon Quest Heroes - the gameplay gets old pretty fast
7. Star ocean 5 - still very early in the story but so far it's good
8. The Witcher 3: GOTY Edition - this game is hard
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:10 AM   #3
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I don't have that many games I would say were that good.

But I guess Dark Souls 3, since I love the series.
and I do really enjoy overwatch. so there, that is my list. Most games I've been playing were my backlog of games.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote