The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 10-20-2015, 04:52 AM   #1
Rubeus

Steam Reaches New Concurrent User Record

Anyone getting a Steam Machine next month?

Quote:
Steam Reaches New Concurrent User Record - 10.7 million people played at the same time this weekend, representing a new record.

Valve's PC digital gaming platform Steam has reached a new concurrent user milestone. According to Steam's "Stats" page, 10,761,566 people were logged in at the same time on October 18. That represents a new all-time high, surpassing 10 million in June, which was up from 9.5 million in May.

Steam is one of the most prominent platforms in all of PC gaming. By Valve's latest count, it had more than 125 million registered users and 6,000-plus games.

The top five Steam games right now, based on current player count, are Dota 2 (free), Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Team Fortress 2 (free), Ark: Survival Evolved, and Grand Theft Auto V.

Click for full size

In other recent Steam news, Valve has said it has no plans to bring advertisement to the platform. "It would be a bad business decision, let alone just dumb," Valve's Erik Johnson said.

Looking ahead, Valve hardware--including the Steam Controller, Steam Link, and Steam Machines--go on sale in November.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ste.../1100-6431522/
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 05:06 AM   #2
Drunken Savior

It costs literally nothing, save for access to a PC and an email address, to make a Steam account and a lot of people are playing free-to-play games.

I know Rebus isn't doing it here, I always hate it when people put this number up as some kind of barometer of how PC gaming is thriving in the same vein as consoles.

And I do plan on getting a Steam Link. I tried Steam In-Home Streaming by using my laptop as a 'Steam Link' over wifi and it actually ran pretty good! Was able to have my main PC run MGSV and play it on the couch with a wireless Xbox 360 controller with no problems, sans for a very, very small bit of input lag (which I was only noticing because I was looking out for it) that might be further mitigated by using a wired connection.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:08 AM   #3
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I was going to buy a steam link.. till I just bought a 50 ft HDMI cable for 20 dollars! YAH! I'm thrifty!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:50 AM   #4
Drunken Savior

And how are you going to play games 50 feet away?

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
wireless controllers and keyboards and mouse! WOO!

The TV isn't really 50 ft away, I just needed the longer cord so I could route it around furniture.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote