The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 06-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #1
Drunken Savior

Original lighting effects found in PC version of Watch_Dogs

According to a post found on NeoGAF, it looks like the PC version still contains many of the graphical effects found in the 2012 version of Watch Dogs before the graphical gimping shown just after the 2013 delay.

Quote:
The Worse, creator of the mod on Guru3d:http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=390114[1]
Has made massive discoveries/improvements. He has discovered that almost all of the shaders and improvements seen in 2012 and 2013 are still in the game files, such as the e3 2012 explosions. For now he has managed to implement dynamic shadows from headlights, the increased rain density, increased NPC density, as well as 2012 e3 bloom and lens flare. When he manages to unpack certain files, he will be able to activate everything, such as POMs, etc.
Included in this mod(not all features are available yet):
Changes to the default fog values
-Enabled bokeh DOF for the main cameras
-Stuttering Improvements
-E3 2012 Bloom
-Performance Improvements
-Enabled Headlight Shadows
-LoD Changes
-Reflection changes
-Added 3 new cameras to the game(closer, normal, further)
-Rain changes(High quality rain drops, properly reacting to light, etc)
-LensFlares(WIP)
-Lighting changes(TESTING AND WIP)
-Civilians density changes
And many more things.. SOON
Here are some of the early screenshots of the current build of the game with some of the effects on.

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

I wonder what framerates they are getting.

[Edit] Some people are reporting BETTER performance after the mod was applied. What in the fuck? I'm starting to wish I had this game to try it. Steam sale pls.

And here's the video of some of the mods on.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4

Last edited by Drunken Savior; 06-16-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Drunken Savior is online now   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
Reality
Sin and Punishment

This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a long time. I am waiting now for Ubisoft's damage control. Maybe we'll hear from the developers on how they had a better looking and performing build of the game and then foobar-ed it.

I mean, how do you really do that? Did they realize the consoles wont live up to their early pc build and re-coded? Maybe they thought if all 3 versions looked the as close as possible than people wont feel the divide between consoles and gaming pc's. Its like the Re4 Port all over again.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:38 AM   #3
Drunken Savior

I try not to be cynical and default to 'conspiracy theory' just because it sounds romantic. But these graphical increases have been improving performance for many. At the very least, I haven't heard of it being detrimental to most. So I don't really know WHY Ubisoft chose not to use them in the first place.

I mean, saying that they couldn't get this level of fidelity looking good on consoles, yet didn't want to outshine the PS4 and Xbox One counterparts with the PC version does make a lot of logical sense. However, if you're going to subscribe to that, you have to wonder if the mods would improve performance on the consoles as well.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 06-17-2014, 04:07 AM   #4
Reality
Sin and Punishment

To me I think Ubisoft sees the PC as a tool. They understand they need it to make their games but they don't want to necessarily support it as a gaming platform. In the example of Watch Dogs, the PC offered them more opportunities to realize their early vision of Watch Dogs. Something I do believed they thought could be copied and pasted on the next gen consoles.

For whatever reasons that couldn't be done. If they used the PC version for primary development (Perhaps because they did not having new console development kits yet) than they could have decided to use a poor shortcuts in porting this game. Easiest way to make their launch window.

So my theory is this. The PC version was the primary platform of choice for development. Once the new consoles came out they would just port this version over. After the next gen launch they figured out the game they made so far wouldn't be compatible. So instead of working on the game on three 3 different platforms at the same time. Which would give it a chance to shine to each platforms abilities. They just edited and molded the PC version into something that would run good enough for every platform. This is why we find the 2012 code buried instead of being utilized.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
Dj Jimmi Zero

They didn't even properly replicate Chicago, and what use would the player get out of more realistic lighting effects?

Ganguro Gals fo Life!
Dj Jimmi Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
Drunken Savior

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms: