The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 09-14-2013, 04:26 AM   #31
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior View Post
What card died?
my 560 ti, didn't last too long compared to other cards I've gotten.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #32
Sulblazer

I'm running an AMD rig...not nearly as powerful as yours (but honestly, what AMD rig would be?)....but I just recently upgraded from an old Gigabyte AM3+ board to an ASUS sabertooth 990 revision 2 board...190 bucks well spent, I think. My old board was bottlenecking the crap out of the 670 gtx because it was a first gen PCIe x16.

I also upgraded my case from an Antec 300 to an Antec p280. I love having the extra space! I used to hate big towers....but having the space to work with when you have to switch or upgrade components is such a nice tradeoff.

Only thing I want now is a BD-Rom for ripping, a new SSD, and a water cooling or Peltier cooling system. Got this 300gb seagate as my main drive with 3 x seagate 2Tb barracuda drives as storage...when it's serving movies and music to other devices in the house...that shit gets pretty damned hot.

Here's are my specs:

- AMD fx 8350 4.0ghz (haven't overclocked it yet)
- Asus Sabertooth 990 r. 2 mobo
- Corsair vengeance 8gb 1866hz
- Asus gtx670 2gb
- Total of 6+ Tb of storage
- Windows 8
-...and I can't think of anything else that's significant.

Oh, I use a USB wifi adapter from Amped wireless...this thing is freakin' awesome. I have a neighbor friend who lives 3 houses down...and I am able to pick up his verizon wifi signal at "Excellent" quality (or 4-5 bars). I love this USB adapter. I have the SB1000 model. I highly recommend this adapter to anyone looking for quality USB wifi. 80 bucks when I purchased it about 4 months ago.

Last edited by Sulblazer; 09-14-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Sulblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:47 AM   #33
Sulblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime View Post
my 560 ti, didn't last too long compared to other cards I've gotten.
Man...you must really game the shit out of your cards. All my old cards still work, I think. 8600gt...250gts...and 460gtx. Well, I can't vouch for the 8600gt anymore cuz it's no longer in my possession...and the 250gts I have in my son's computer is barely starting to crap out, i think. Starting to see artifacts when it's getting pushed. 460gtx is now in a media center (aka, wifey pc)...still goin' strong.

I probably won't upgrade my video card again til' the 900 series are out...so, another 2 years, maybe? Hope my current card, 670gtx, is still kickin' then.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #34
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
damn straight I do, I have over 400 PC games and I played every single one.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #35
spider-prime

I saved my old PC! Glad I know enough of computers to troubleshoot this crap.

I somehow have a ripped cord on my PSU. No idea how I got that and it basically wasn't working, so I pulled that cord out and put in another cord into the video card and all is well now... so far, it could have caused damage. I wanted to keep this PC for when my family comes over and they want to kick me off to look up things on the net and not kick me off playing games!

I finally got Spider-man to level 60 in Marvel Heroes!
Old 09-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #36
Drunken Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulblazer View Post
Here's are my specs:

- AMD fx 8350 4.0ghz (haven't overclocked it yet)
- Asus Sabertooth 990 r. 2 mobo
- Corsair vengeance 8gb 1866hz
- Asus gtx670 2gb
- Total of 6+ Tb of storage
- Windows 8
-...and I can't think of anything else that's significant.
That's pretty nice. The 600 line has been pretty good, the Keplar chips are amazing. I'm still hoping that Shadowplay isn't vaporware though. I have a 670 as well and it's pretty much my PS4/X1 card for the next handful of years. That processor looks sweet as well, though I have to admit I'm kind of an Intel/Nvidia builder. However, I'm not against suggeting ATI to those who are asking for builds on a budget. You certainly don't get a good bang/buck ratio with Blue and Green.

I'm also a huge PhysX whore.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #37
spider-prime

All I have to say is that the 770 GTX is friggin awesome. Very glad I got it, not seeing any trouble running any games and never had low FPS. Huge upgrade from a 560 ti. That's for sure.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #38
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Honestly, I usually stick with brands. Asus, EVGA, and Gigabyte have never given me problems. Then from there you just want to look at the socket, total memory supported, amount of drives you want and their SATA speeds and last but not least the FSB speeds.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:08 AM   #39
Sulblazer

Whatever happened to A-bit? Remember them those mobos? They were pretty good back in the days. Not sure if they got bought out or what.

Yeah, my 670gtx is blazingly fast. 460gtx was a good card for the years it served me....but, the 670 blows it out of the water. Best part? I can play minecraft full rez ;p

Quote:
That processor looks sweet as well, though I have to admit I'm kind of an Intel/Nvidia builder.
To be honest...if I could go back, I would have waited a few months and built a i5 4670 system instead. I don't do nearly enough multi-core tasks to justify the FX 8530. Also, the i5 4670 is pretty damn killer for gaming. I stuck with AMD cuz I didn't want to upgrade my mobo to save cost. But when I found out my old Mobo was bottlenecking things like my SSD (now dead) drive, vid card, and even the CPU...it was too late to turn back (damn you Fry's and your 15 days return policy...you suck dick!).

My next system, whenever that will be, will probably be an Intel unless AMD suddenly whips out some killer CPUs by then.

ASUS and Gigabytes have always been good boards to me. MSI...I've had some issues with in the past...mostly when it comes to overclocking. I've never tried an ASrock board before, heard they're pretty good as well. Stay away from low-mid end Biostar boards....they tend to crap out. The high end bioStar boards are pretty good though.

My favorite board is my Asus Sabertooth...so many places to plug shit in! I love plugging up holes!