The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 06-19-2013, 01:33 AM   #1
Drunken Savior

Post Kotaku: Steam Might Soon Let You Share Your Games With Your Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://kotaku.com/steam-might-soon-let-you-share-your-games-with-your-fri-514219133

Steam Might Soon Let You Share Your Games With Your Friends
LUKE PLUNKETT
52 minutes ago

You can lend your friends a console disc. You can not lend them a game you buy on Steam. Or at least, you haven't been able to previously. That might soon be about to change.

Some code buried in the latest Steam client beta (pictured above), first spotted by NeoGAF poster Grief.exe but which I can also see in my directory, has revealed the presence of something called a "shared game library". Here are the relevant parts:

Code:
"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicense_Title" "Shared game library"
"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_OwnerText" "Just so you know, your games are currently in use by %borrower%. Playing now will send %borrower% a notice that it's time to quit."
"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_BorrowerText" "This shared game is currently unavailable. Please try again later or buy this game for your own library."
For three lines of code, that seems to present a pretty clear plan: you can let other Steam users "borrow" your games, then take them back whenever it suits.

As it stands, right now once you buy a Steam game that's it. It's yours, tied to your account, and you can't trade it in, sell it or lend it like you could a physical console game.

Letting PC gamers share their games, then, would be amazing, though how Valve is selling this to publishers I have no idea. Maybe every single full game can now be its own demo as well? Maybe Microsoft's ten-person "family sharing" plan for the Xbox One, which sounds a lot like this, is helping soften the blow for this kind of stuff?

Or maybe it'll just be an option for publishers that almost nobody chooses to make use of. Or something the company is looking at/thinking about, but may never actually implement. Sorry to end this on a downer, but hey, that's business for you.

We've contacted Valve for comment, and will update if we hear back.
Would be awesome! I don't mind if the Xbox One pioneers some extra features on Steam.

Also, my friends and family will be able to widdle down this backlog. 125 games and I've probably only put 5+ hours into about half of them!

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 02:55 AM   #2
AmishNazi
Skag Killer Extraordanaire

So awesome... this generation should pretty awesome for the PC gamers. Everything is x86 and DirectX based, so we shouldn't be as left at in the cold when it comes to genres that don't always get ports.

Are you the new Alucard, DS?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain
AmishNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:25 AM   #3
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I want this to happen!

This would be awesome to share games for a while with each other.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:47 AM   #4
Drunken Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishNazi View Post
Are you the new Alucard, DS?
I hope you are referring to the defacto regularly posting PC gamer on the forums!

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
Reality
Sin and Punishment

I just go to read about this. It be really cool if it could happen. Be a real step in the right direction for everyone.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I have a ton of games I would let you guys share that I have.

A lot of them have all the DLC too.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
AmishNazi
Skag Killer Extraordanaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior View Post
I hope you are referring to the defacto regularly posting PC gamer on the forums!
Of course haha

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain
AmishNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
Ernst

This is great news, however, we should expect to see more of these types of digital marketplaces opening up on the heels of the EC ruling.
Ernst is offline   Reply With Quote