The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 04-10-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
Drunken Savior

AT&T announces plans for 1Gbps fiber service in Austin, Texas; Google gets immediate

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/09/att-1gbps-fiber-internet-austin-texas-official/

AT&T announces plans for 1Gbps fiber service in Austin, Texas; Google gets immediate competition
By Darren Murph
posted Apr 9th, 2013 at 2:14 PM

First thought: "Ha!" Second thought: "Oh, wait -- competition is an excellent thing." While it's highly probable that AT&T is looking to both overshadow Google's launch party and maintain a foothold in one of its most prized states, the outfit's terse announcement of an impending 1Gbps fiber network should honestly be seen as nothing but excellent news for residents of Austin. Merely hours after Google and the city of Austin jointly made clear that Google Fiber would be hitting up local homes in mid-2014, Ma Bell has made public its "intent" to built a 1 Gigabit fiber network in the same area.

AT&T's expanded fiber plans in Austin anticipate it will be granted the "same terms and conditions as Google on issues such as geographic scope of offerings, rights of way, permitting, state licenses and any investment incentives." Of course, it's seriously unlikely AT&T will offer up basic fiber connections for free in the way that Google's doing, but on a macro level, we certainly hope this type of one-upping continues in more towns across the country. And, more specifically, that AT&T continues to roll out fiber networks on its own accord in various locales; with FiOS expansion indefinitely paused, we sure need someone to step up and keep the dream alive.
Competition!

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is online now   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 03:11 AM   #2
Reality
Sin and Punishment

That's impressive! I suppose in true AT&T fashion you'll sign up with a 2 year contract and a 2gb download limit per month.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality View Post
That's impressive! I suppose in true AT&T fashion you'll sign up with a 2 year contract and a 2gb download limit per month.
SOLD!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:32 AM   #4
Sulblazer

What? It's just an announcement that they're planning? That could mean anything! They could have sat around at a meeting, spitballing some ideas...someone goes, "Hey, lets ahhhh...lets ahhh...oh, I know....1Gbs fiber! Google is doing it."
Another guy goes, "Sounds good, lets announce it."
"But we haven't got any licenses or permits or city contracts..."
"So? We can still announce it, right?"
Old 05-16-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
Beam
~The Last Of The Old Guard~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality View Post
being an at@t customer i know how they can screw you over, but at least their price point is cheaper than the competition.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Ironic, most of ATT (ACC) data network went down yesterday across the country. I'm still not sure if this is due to a DDoS targeted at ATT's network or if it was a problem inherent with their expansion plans.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
Beam
~The Last Of The Old Guard~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachalmighty View Post
Ironic, most of ATT (ACC) data network went down yesterday across the country. I'm still not sure if this is due to a DDoS targeted at ATT's network or if it was a problem inherent with their expansion plans.
it may be their expansion because the data service went down in my area about two weeks ago as well. i was wondering if it would eventually affect anyone else.