The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 09-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #16
Pikachief
To save or to feed?

Umm you kinda have spoilers in the 3rd paragraph as that is not how the game starts off but what you find out later on lol
Old 12-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #17
javi

I am just going to say it: I never beaten a Paper Mario game before in my entire life. This game is the first for me. I am almost done playing Paper Mario for the N64, I hardly played Super Paper Mario, and my profile on the Thousand Year Door showed me that it mysteriously beat the game for me. No, not even Pikachief knows how that was possible. However, I will get to the Thousand Year Door one of these days. Maybe after I'm done playing Borderlands. ....or Paper Mario. Whichever I beat first.

Anywho, Sticker Star is really good. It's not a masterpiece, but it is still really good. This game is not really what I was expecting it to be when I first heard that this game was going to use stickers. I just assumed that the stickers were going to be special items and equipment, such as how you use the badges from the first two Paper Mario games. I was totally wrong, finding out that the stickers are used as your way of fighting in turn based battles. Which I will get into later on. Not only can you use it to fight, but there are also other areas where you can use the stickers in the game, which is a feature that I really like.

The plot is the same as any other Mario game, so you can guess what happens in this game.

The graphics in this game are really good, and I always enjoyed how each and every one of these Paper Mario games look by putting the 2-D and 3-D graphics as making it cartoonish and fun to look at. Now, about the 3-D in this game. I know some of you probably know that I have an absolute hatred of 3-D. I just can't sit through it. But in this game, the 3-D does look good. Whatever had to pop, popped! If there is a format of 3-D that I do enjoy watching it would be the gimicy 3-D that pops out of the screen, unlike the Avatar 3-D that we all have been getting lately, trying to force us pay an extra $3 to see a movie in a way that we can all already see for free, 24/7.

The music, on the other hand, is kind of forgettable. There are some that do stick out for me, but that is not saying much at all. The sound effects are fine, and sticks with the traditional route of using the cartoonish sound effects that we are all used to. Other than that, there isn't a whole lot to say to the sound/music of this game.

The gameplay itself is simple and enjoyable. I know some people first played this game already not liking the way how you use the stickers. I, for one, don't find it as a problem. You are given a sticker album from a tiara like sticker, who acts a lot like Navi from OoT, only not as annoying since she doesn't have a voice. In this album, you can hold up to 15 stickers per page, and the maximum amount of pages you can have in your sticker album is 8. Let me warn you that you will get stickers that can perform strong attacks, but some of them are big. So be very careful to keep the necessary stickers, as well as the necessary amount, or you will run out of room in your album. There are some areas in the game that you do have to use some stickers in order to get from point A to point B. These stickers are called things. I don't know which is sad. Nintendo couldn't have come up with a better title, or the fact that I am unable to come up with a better title. With these things, you can find them in different levels in this game, and you will have to use them in different areas to finish a level. If you need to get rid of a dust storm, use a vacuum. If you need to move the wind mill's fan to open it's only entrance, use a fan.

In battle, you get to use stickers of different kind of types, such as the classic jump and hammer, but as forms of stickers. But here is where people started to find the problems in this concept. If you want to jump on a goomba, you have to have a shoe sticker to do it. However, if you want to jump on another goomba, you need another shoe sticker in order to perform the attack. Same said with the hammer, and just about every other sticker that you have. I can see this as a problem for so many people, but it just doesn't bother me. By the way, if you have any problems on how I just interpreted anything on how to fight against your opponents, believe me when I say this. I sort of had a difficult time explaining it myself. You can also use the things you get in this game as your means of attack or health in this game too. You do have this other option on the turn based battles called the Battle Spinner that works like a slot machine. Of course you have to pay coins in order to use it like in real life, but the Battle Spinner determines what you can use for either yourself or on you opponents, such as the Pow block, or health. If you get three in a row, not only can you use the items that you win, but you get to use three stickers at a time in the same turn. But if you get two in a row, you get to use only two stickers in the same turn.

Now, here's my griping issue that I have with these turn based battles. 75% of the time, you will have no reason to fight against anyone. There is no level ups, whatsoever. The only way how you can get better at fighting against a stronger enemy is by simply beating a boss to expand your sticker album that you are using throughout the game, and finding +5 hearts throughout the game to increase your health. The enemies are just there to try to prevent you from getting to your destination point. The best way how to describe is if Mario was truly hated by a bunch of PETA like toads for hurting animals, and he is trying to get to his pipe house safely.

Outside of these problems that I have stated about this game, it still is a a great game to play and enjoy. If you are still not too sure about the use of the stickers, then rent it if you must. Other than that Paper Mario Sticker Star gets:

4/5.
Other Shows Watching: Arrow, The Blacklist, Doctor Who, Fear The Walking Dead, The Flash, Gotham, Into the Badlands, Once Upon a Time, The Walking Dead
javi is offline   Reply With Quote