The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 10-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #31
Northeastmonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem View Post
What? Is what i said not the truth? We all know it is.

If you're a real gamer, go play TERA. Alot better than all the weak and casual aimed GW2's and WoW's.
SWTOR is a personal favorite, but TERA will chew you and spit you out if you dont have skills. Its advanced combat and real gaming there. And... it has a halloween event aswell!
I think they gave players limited skills and you're probably right on the auto attack, because you hit one enemy gather exp, rinse and repeat. But I'm still a level 25. I haven't gotten to play a lot.

No, no I was adding on to your criticism.
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #32
Chronos
fuggit

I realized after growing bored of guild wars 2 fast, that I'm just not into theme park mmo's anymore. The genre has become stale to me. Honestly I think wow, guild wars 2, rift, swtor are good games, just basically the same damn thing.

@ Nem

Auto attack mashing? This speaks to the fact that you couldn't of gotten higher than level 50 or so, where this tactic will get you killed every time. Also you never actually mash auto. You set your first ability to repeat in pve and that's your auto. Just press it once and it will auto attack. No mashing.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #33
Northeastmonk

I don't know if its a complaint, but I wouldn't solo GW2 alone. Meaning, if I didn't know players playing it, this wouldn't be my mmo of choice. Of course I went all out and looked at various MMOs and a few were fun. But its very draining and I like finishing a game rather than rinse and repeat.

The Zerg rush comment.. lol I spot weaknesses in GW2. I see this constant speed of players just ravishing and spamming whatever. Its not like other MMOs where there are jobs, tons of skills, or each specific boss has a weakness. GW2 seems like every class does everything. And there seems to be more to crafting than anything.

I don't want to sound like I'm hating on it. I just have a few complaints. It looks good. But I can't see it lasting me a long time if there isn't someone I know playing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I realized after growing bored of guild wars 2 fast, that I'm just not into theme park mmo's anymore. The genre has become stale to me. Honestly I think wow, guild wars 2, rift, swtor are good games, just basically the same damn thing.
I honestly don't understand a lot of players who make MMO or any game their staple game. Maybe I'm just not a big MMO fan. Its like they took the scale of beloved RPGs and made it a growing economy.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #34
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zechin View Post
I'm really liking Mists of Pandaria so far.

Best expansion content wise, but my personal favourite is still WOTLK.
Snore fest. It had a good run, but nowadays its a terrible game.

The game got dumbed down to levels comparable to GW2. The graphics are showing their age more than ever. Design doesnt really save it anymore. But, for me the worst offender are the animations.
I remember the animation for all my paladin and warrior attacks were the same with just a little line of a different color or a different sound effect. Comparing this to the offer on SWTOR, TERA and even GW2 makes it a very old game. Its time people move on from it cause its just nostalgia and habit that are keeping them around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post

@ Nem

Auto attack mashing? This speaks to the fact that you couldn't of gotten higher than level 50 or so, where this tactic will get you killed every time. Also you never actually mash auto. You set your first ability to repeat in pve and that's your auto. Just press it once and it will auto attack. No mashing.

That argument is old and tired. You want me to post my char select screen with my lvl 80 in exotics?

I said it was auto-attack fest, wich is that first ability because you got no other regular attack without a cd. Here is what happens, you have 4 skills with long cooldowns. Not all are DPS increases. Your biggest DPS skill is auto-attack cause its up at all times beeing spammed automatically. You just prance around happily cause theres really nothing to do. You can easily leave your character attack a boss, go make a sandwich and come back to receive your spoils.
If youre not auto-attacking alot, youre not doing good DPS. It is mind-numbingly boring. Everyone gets bored of this game, but everyone says how great it is. How on earth does it add up? I'm always the bad guy cause i come out and say whats wrong with it and that it really isnt a good game. Its aimed at the facebook players. Even a 6 year old can play it.

Last edited by Nem; 10-27-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #35
zechin
THERE IS NO BATHROOM!

I don't disagree, WoW is aging but I still subjectively, find it fun - i mainly pvp. Even with the gameplay changes that have been dumbed down with talent choices and what not. I appreciate the pvp aspects of the game more now and the old content being more accessible to solo players. Playing WoW is like a lifestyle and having played for a long time and coming back to it. It's very apparent to me and other veteran players. But I just simply view the game as a very good distraction. Nothing more.

But I understand, especially the thing about nostalgia. I have friends who still play DOTA to this day from wayyyyy back. and I'm bored to death with that game/map. Simply because it's the same thing over and over with different heroes, different strategies and rude people. It's always the same thing. And people tend to stick with what they know - especially if they're good at a game.

But the question ultimately boils down to what each person individually views as viable and enjoyable entertainment for them to throw their time and money at. Which applies to many things in life and entertainment. But I don't disagree.
zechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:40 AM   #36
Northeastmonk

I couldn't stand playing LoL, Dota, or Newearth. It makes me very dry and I start to feel empty inside. lol Some gamers can go all out, but after a while I need something else. Its probably why I haven't stuck to any MMO. Plus those MOBA titles are very eh. Those pro gamer LoL players, lol it looks like torture to me.

I'm very picky on the quality of the games I credit myself for (even though I own some that are a bit questionable. You could almost say I'm very anal about it. I like quality, I like developers from known or well known houses and what have you. All this crap does is make me want to scream. There are 3 maps, the characters and world feel like fan fiction from a high school anime club. I don't want to compare them to characters well known in the biz

I also didn't play Guild Wars 1 and so the entire world seems so foreign. I personally prefer other RPGs and their art. But I do think having the composer Jeremy Soule, helps out a lot. I personally feel music in a game can make or break it.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #37
zechin
THERE IS NO BATHROOM!

Yeah, I'm very picky with what games I'm willing to play as well. Some other games that are well known, I just inherently know I won't enjoy no matter what.

There's just too much to do these days and too many games coming out, despite digital media supposedly making things simpler and more convenient for people. I can't afford to play something I know I won't enjoy during my leisure time.
zechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #38
Chronos
fuggit

at least there's something for everyone. To me dark souls / demon's souls is the best game released in the last decade, at least.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #39
Northeastmonk

You don't like Skyrim?
Old 10-28-2012, 02:09 AM   #40
Chronos
fuggit

skyrim was ok. It all depends what you're looking for. I mentioned dark souls because for me, I love intense combat where enemies have good ai, and/or are human controlled in the case of pvp, and I like rpg stat integration and the character progression that all brings. Combine that with an immersive world and well done lore, you have a near perfect game. For me, anyways.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #41
Northeastmonk

Yeah it did have great AI. Enemies typically would follow u anywhere as long as they had an eye on you and they would search for you. It really brought a sense of hiding because you also couldn't pause.

The reason I appreciate Skyrim so much was because it literally brings you into a world that most RPGs tend to limit you.

But yea, best part of Souls is not knowing what's around each corner. I've been thrown into complete darkness and caught glimpses of big powerful creatures lingering in the shadows. Its not something you see a lot of these days.