The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 08-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
Chronos
fuggit

Torchlight 2 relase date officially announced

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=32505
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
bujeezus

hope they hit that date. probably go ahead an preorder it now that there's an actual date besides "summer".
Old 08-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Had it pre-ordered for ages, can't wait to play it. Probably one of the games I'm most excited for this year so far.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
Chronos
fuggit

I prefer Path of Exile based on what I've played of both games. The dark, Diablo 1 inspired look of PoE wipes the floor with TL2's cartoony appearance.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I prefer Path of Exile based on what I've played of both games. The dark, Diablo 1 inspired look of PoE wipes the floor with TL2's cartoony appearance.
You walk a lonely road on this subject...
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Northeastmonk

PoE is fantastic, but I also see Diablo 3 making a come back in a year once Blizzard's done patching it. I feel that Torchlight 2 will be good, but wont keep the fans with its graphic style like the others do.

If GW2 wasn't available I'd be playing PoE and getting those paragon levels in D3.

I don't think Blizzard is done with D3. Its gotta take a bit, but I see TL2 and PoE as more of a filler. Its just been proven to be so.

I have nothing against it, but the biggest complaint I've heard from friends was the way it looks. Apparently its too "cartoonish". But that doesn't make it a bad game whatsoever in my books.

I've also had it preordered for a while too.
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I don't know why people are so quick to write off Torchlight 2, maybe people are forgetting that a majority of the original Diablo team is actually at Runic and working on Torchlight 2, so this is more worthy of the Diablo 3 name than Blizzard's attempt.

And I personally like the graphics, it's nice to play a game that's bright and vibrant, makes it different.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSentinels View Post
And I personally like the graphics, it's nice to play a game that's bright and vibrant, makes it different.
Exactly. Not all games need to be dark and monotone.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
Chronos
fuggit

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
You walk a lonely road on this subject...
the games are really comparable it's just what you prefer. I find PoE is just better in almost every way, and I may be the minority on this tiny, console focused forum, but I think you'll find PoE will win the test of time and be the go-to arpg on release. I think you'd understand if you played both games, but whatever.

the game just does too many things right, and the reason i mention it whenever arpg's come up is it's an amazing game and I want people to support the devs.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
Chronos
fuggit

in other news
Old 08-31-2012, 08:04 PM   #11
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I like how you're saying Path of Exile is better 'in almost every way' when Torchlight 2 isn't even released yet...
Old 08-31-2012, 10:31 PM   #12
Chronos
fuggit

neither is path of exile, it's in beta still. Anyway my opinion is my opinion. I've played both games to high level. I'm assuming you haven't, and your only argument is that TL2 is being made by the creator of diablo so we should all lap that shit up.

I prefer the skill system of poe, the endgame, and the itemization and gem system over TL2's mechanics. Of course the look is subjective, but I'm a big fan of the original diablo in terms of atmosphere and it was grinding gear games' goal to capture that look of diablo 1 and gameplay of diablo 2.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:22 AM   #13
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I have tried both games, but since neither is out yet I'm reserving judgement and not saying either is better than the other; but yes, TL2 is being made by the a lot of the original Diablo team so of course I'm more excited for that game. I'm a huge fan of the original titles so can't wait to see how the game turns out.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #14
Chronos
fuggit

Old 09-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #15
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Quote:
Confession: I never did finish the original Torchlight. For whatever reason, the game failed to grab me -- maybe it was the pacing, the lack of co-op support, or something else entirely. Whatever the case might be, I'll finish Torchlight II. It's come together nicely and feels like a true sequel, to the point where I had completely forgotten that Runic Games is only asking for $19.99 come September 20, 2012.

While getting some hands-on time at PAX, Runic president Travis Baldree recapped many of the changes and additions that went into Torchlight II, both big and small, from the reworked impact of animations to the varying amounts of splash damage associated with attacks. Long story short, the end result is a game which just feels right -- an absolute must for click-heavy titles like action-RPGs. This is not merely more Torchlight, it's better Torchlight.

What stood out to me the most was the combat. Not only did it seem more fluid, but the actual number of creatures -- which have some ridiculous, awesome designs -- seems to be noticeably up. I wouldn't say my Engineer was overwhelmed, but it came close a few times, seemingly right at the sweet spot between gameplay that is either unexciting or overly difficult.

What's happening after the September release? Runic will focus on getting the mod tools out in the coming weeks, and there's also the Mac port to look forward to. While not necessarily a huge deal, Baldree did mention that Steam Workshop will be supported as well. With Diablo III disappointing some players, there's been a lot of pressure placed on Torchlight II. The wait looks to have been worth it.
http://www.destructoid.com/pax-30-mi...e-234305.phtml

Not that anyone doubted it'd be awesome but nice to know the wait is paying off. Can't wait for the game. I'm so glad they're actively supporting modding, and with the Steam Workshop too.