The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 08-06-2012, 01:41 AM   #106
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
How would you compare the reception of DeathSmiles II with CAVE’s Xbox Live Arcade titles like Guwange and NIN2-JUMP in the US?

Honestly, it was pretty disastrous...

Even though there wasn't that much reading involved, admittedly it wasn't the greatest idea to leave all the text in Japanese.
Ah! that would explain the lack of a Euro release then, shame.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #107
calintz
thank you based god

anyway...

Quote:
Unlike previous Dragon Quest games, Dragon Quest X is an online MMO. So far, the game's online experience has been surprisingly painless. But here's one thing that some players *might* find painful.

According to Square Enix, if you do not log in for online play for over three months, it's possible that the game's server will delete your character data. (No doubt, this is to keep from overworking servers, so in that regard, it might make sense.)

If you do not want to shell out for a DQ X online subscription, you can play online for a few hours each day during a predetermined "kid's time". You don't have to be a kid to play during this free period as there's nothing that checks your age. You do need to log in at least once every three months if you want to keep your character data.
http://kotaku.com/5932055/if-you-don...tll-get-erased
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:12 AM   #108
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Well that's a bit silly, I can see why they're doing it but I don't think it's a good move. Square said they were planning on supporting this for 10 years with content updates, it's stupid to say that and then basically have it where you can't come back later because of new content or something. They're really shooting themselves in the foot with that.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #109
Northeastmonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintz View Post

Maybe it would help make players play the game more often. But thats rough if you're out of town for important reasons and have your high end character deleted. I'd be a bit pissed. You'd have to have your neighbor log in and log out for you.
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #110
Sulblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastmonk View Post
Maybe it would help make players play the game more often. But thats rough if you're out of town for important reasons and have your high end character deleted. I'd be a bit pissed. You'd have to have your neighbor log in and log out for you.
Yeah...if you're the type who is out for months and months at a time...then maybe this just isn't the game for you to begin with. Say you're with the military or on business, console RPGs (let alone MMORPG) probably not the sort of game you wanna invest time into.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #111
Northeastmonk

Thats very true and a shame at the same time. Like when I'm busy with school I can hardly play story driven titles. But I pick them up anyway because I fit them in on breaks and on weekends. But I know a lot of people who have quit playing RPGs and 20 hour long games because they don't want to dedicate the time, yet they play MMOS and other titles. I personally see no difference. The use of a save system in RPGs is what you use when your time is limited.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #112
Sulblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastmonk View Post
But I know a lot of people who have quit playing RPGs and 20 hour long games because they don't want to dedicate the time, yet they play MMOS and other titles.
You know, you're right about that. I notice that too! I think with lots of MMOs, the story is not as essential to the enjoyment of the game. With FFVII, I explored every nook and cranny to eke out additional side stories in the game....with say, WoW...I still have no idea why Van Cleef had to die...nor did I care. Also, I think it has to do with pick-up-and-playability. If I played Wind Waker for a few days...then stopped for a week, I'd be completely lost because I wouldn't remember jack shit that I had done. But if I decided to reactive my WoW account, it'd be easy to just pick up where I left off and play. MMOs just seem to have less work to do with regards to pick-up-and-playability and progression. I swear, if it weren't for gamefaqs, I don't think I would have ever completed Twilight Princess after taking a hiatus for 2 months.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #113
Northeastmonk

Its funny you say that because I've been playing Skyward Sword since it launched. I've been busy with other things and I've also finished a few other titles. But I haven't finished it. I'm working on it and I'm getting close. But I can remember most of what I've done.

Yes.. the more I played MMOs I realized that the story never seemed to add up. Granted I haven't played a lot of MMOs. But my level 30 character in LOTRO has no idea on whats going on. It doesn't even feel like its LOTRO. But I'm paying more attention to WoW (which I did just start) and Guild Wars 2 (when it comes out), but either way the story is rather just multiple quests that help your player progress. Not like in Zelda, where you have to remember the last 3 or 4 events or you're completely lost. Thankfully Skyward Sword doesn't transition from the main quest that often.

I haven't touched FFXIV yet, I'm waiting for 2.0. But I did play some of FFXI and its about the same thing. I spent more time getting a duel class then reading any quest and all the info was from previous players. I have no idea how indepth FFXI got or would be. But from what I hear, it does have a plot. MMOs are mainly about leveling up and the best quest has a nice boss to fight.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #114
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

I can't see how anyone would want to leave their save data with a foreign entity. One of the best features about an RPG is being able to revisit your quest data from months or even years ago.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #115
calintz
thank you based god

would you want to revisit your MMORPG quest data years later when no one else is playing any more?
Old 08-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #116
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

WoW lets you do that, doesn't it? And considering the popularity of Dragon Quest in Japan, there will probably be players for a very long while. Especially if the Wii U version shares the same servers.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #117
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

They also said they'll be surporting it for 10 years. Well the WiiU version anyway I would be very concerned about getting the Wii version personally.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #118
calintz
thank you based god

Quote:
Dragon Quest X debuted with 420,311 units in its first week, Famitsu.com and Enterbrain reported today.
Quote:
Expectedly, this represents a significant drop from past numbered DQ games. Dragon Quest IX on DS sold 2,353,440 in its first week back in July 2009. Dragon Quest VIII on PS2 sold 2,237,000 on its first week in 2004. These entries were released on Saturdays, so the sales covered two days compared to DQX's four days.
http://andriasang.com/con268/dqx_debut/
Old 08-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #119
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Well, you know many people who plan to buy a Wii U are going to wait for the better version. But yes, Japanese people are pretty antisocial compared to the rest of us.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #120
stroopwafel
Praise the sun!

Well it should be obvious by now Japan doesn't like MMORPGs(among other things like FPS games). And if DQ can't change that nothing can :p Not that I blame them because MMORPGs are boring.
stroopwafel is offline   Reply With Quote