The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 08-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #46
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I am going to buy a xbox on launch for one main reason.... to see how stupid people are and spend 1000 dollars for one on ebay.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #47
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime View Post
I am going to buy a xbox on launch for one main reason.... to see how stupid people are and spend 1000 dollars for one on ebay.
What if it has cool launch titles though? We just can't know!

I'm actually more excited for that particular launch then I'd normally be, because I'll probably get several games free to review. Will definitely help out with the costs of picking up a new system and whatever accessories it needs.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #48
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavedFromSin View Post
Well, I honestly have no intention of picking up any new MS system at launch. The 360 burned me badly after going through 5 redrings. If the leaked documents are any indication, the system will be too main stream anyway. I'll stick with PS and eyeball the Xbox from there. If it looks promising and there is no sign of problems I will pick it up in a heartbeat.
Or do what I do, buy a sony system for the exclusives, keep pc updated for multiplatform and some 360 exclusives. Works out perfectly and with better graphics/control/mods/userbase multiplay. Also no redring looloolol.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #49
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
What if it has cool launch titles though? We just can't know!

I'm actually more excited for that particular launch then I'd normally be, because I'll probably get several games free to review. Will definitely help out with the costs of picking up a new system and whatever accessories it needs.

If it's anything like the 360, I can get them on the PC
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #50
foxhunt99

PS3 is a not bad, just came too late. I had xbox 360 first, then I sort of connected to it, even tho I got a PS3 later, I rarely touched it.

I just got a PS Vita tho, good piece of hardware, shity operating system and few software selection. I hope it doesnt die.
foxhunt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:37 AM   #51
phknrocket1k

Focusing on the PS3.

1.) Sony's high initial price gave it a sluggish start.

2.) Came out an year later.

3.) Maybe Sony's success wasn't really Sony as mentioned before and just a combination of luck in the sense of learning from their competitors (Nintendo/Sega) mistakes.

4.) Sony is probably not used to negotiating for and paying for/funding exclusives. Nintendo and MS had to put up with this in the Xbox/GC era. Sony was able to rely on network effects in the PS2 era and create a basic positive feedback loop of games => sales => more games => more sales => until the end of the generation. Their past successes spoiled them.
phknrocket1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:01 AM   #52
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Sony and Playstation are in more trouble than you think - A great, long read from the PA Report.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #53
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Gonna need a tl;dr
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:55 AM   #54
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
Gonna need a tl;dr
Basically he contends that the new PS3 model and higher price are a big mistake that will help keep Sony a distant 3rd this holiday season. Sony's failure to adjust the pricing of the PS3 and especially the Vita, two moves that just about everybody feels are necessary for those platforms to be fully competitive, is due to their various divisions all hurting so badly for profits, which in turn affects the gaming division.
This puts Sony in a bad place to gain any real market share with the PS3 before the PS4 comes along. PS4 will not likely be price competitive with the other two consoles because of the same persistent financial problems.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #55
Nem
Awakening

In my opinion its all because their marketing division sucks donkey balls.
At this point they got no choice but to come up with a strategy similar to nintendo, so they clearly differentiate their system from the competition and make it about gameplay instead of about graphics. If they go toe to toe with Microsoft on a technology war again, they will most probably fail or bankrupt trying.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:23 AM   #56
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Beating a dead horse, but here's another article about how Sony's hubris had harmed the PS3 and Vita, and what Sony may need to do to rescue the Vita:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...arning-process