The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 04-26-2012, 05:35 AM   #1
calintz
thank you based god

Linux Steam Client

Quote:
Valve and Gabe Newell's interest in Linux goes beyond what would be expected of any normal game company, but Valve is certainly a unique beast. Listening to Gabe Newell talk about Linux for hours made me wonder whether he was a former ex-Microsoft employee (where he actually did work in his pre-Valve days in the 90's) or the director of the Linux Foundation. His level of Linux interest and commitment was incredible while his negativity for Windows 8 and the future of Microsoft was stunning. In fact, as soon as I return to my office this weekend I plan to try out Windows 8 simply to see if it's as bad as Gabe states and because he's curious about my opinions of this latest Microsoft operating system.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...pfnudeln&num=1

calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
darren
... lol

well its running on osx so linux makes sense .. outside of the skin they are basically the same
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
calintz
thank you based god

then why is it taking ages?
Old 07-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
calintz
thank you based god

well it's official from Valve:

Steam’d Penguins

Quote:
The goal of the Steam client project is a fully-featured Steam client running on Ubuntu 12.04.
Quote:
Since the Steam client isn’t much without a game, we’re also porting L4D2 to Ubuntu.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:32 AM   #5
Alucard

Keep pushing that shit game valve. Ignore the first one which is way better and dont move onto a third because you want to force people to play this rubbish.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:56 AM   #6
calintz
thank you based god

valve don't know what third means
Old 08-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #7
calintz
thank you based god

Quote:
Valve's distaste for Windows 8 has led the company to take on an increasing interest in Linux, and the new Valve Linux blog shows that, with some work, the Source Engine actually runs faster on it than it does on Windows. The company used a testbed with an Intel i7 3930k, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680, and 32GB of RAM to pit Left 4 Dead 2 on Windows 7 against Ubuntu 12, and the results are rather interesting.

At first, Valve's Linux port of Left 4 Dead 2 ran at only 6 FPS on the i7 machine, but after tweaking the game to make effective use of the efficient characteristics of the Linux kernel and OpenGL, the Valve Linux team was able to eke out a much higher 315 FPS. Using the same machine running Windows 7 and Direct3D, the same game ran at 270.6 FPS, or roughly 14 percent slower.

After optimizing the Source Engine for the Linux platform, Valve wondered why OpenGL was outperforming Direct3D at a technical level. Their research found that, on the same hardware, there are "a few additional microseconds [of] overhead per batch in Direct3D which does not affect OpenGL," indicating that Direct3D may not be as efficient as Microsoft would like developers to believe. There are still challenges ahead for the Valve Linux team, however, as the state of Linux graphics card drivers is still a tumultuous affair. The team has yet to work with AMD and Nvidia, but collaboration with Intel's engineers took place just last month.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/2/321...pengl-direct3d