The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 07-15-2012, 03:39 AM   #16
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

looks cool, but i like the current slim model better. i wonder how long it'll be before MS releases a new slim model.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear Wii U=MrBear14518
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:41 AM   #17
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

PS3 'super slim' could shift the tides in Sony's favor - Great industry article.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:35 AM   #18
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
16gb version? the fuck? That would get filled after 2 games cause of the installs.
spider-prime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:36 AM   #19
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime View Post
16gb version? the fuck? That would get filled after 2 games cause of the installs.
I'm sure it would support external HDDs or something. I have a feeling less games will require installs in the future if this comes to pass, too.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:44 AM   #20
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I would go ok if it was still 50-80 gigs flash drives, but 16 gigs is wayyy too small since majority of games on the PSN are over 18 gigs. DC Universe is one of them.

But if they have it you can buy your own HDD and still put one in instead of a external, then I don't care as much. I have tons of 2.5 drives in my house.
spider-prime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:31 AM   #21
Alucard

Thats a lot of effort to go to. Sonys beyond cheap for doing this. Pretty sure difference for them from going 16 to 50 would be like $5.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:12 AM   #22
Badrats Studio
Hate it or Love it ヽ(•̀ω•́ )ゝ✧

Location: Medan, Sumatera Utara, Republic Indonesia, South-East Asia
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime View Post

But if they have it you can buy your own HDD and still put one in instead of a external, then I don't care as much.
I'm sure that's the idea behind the 16GB of PS3 beside to cut cost production.
Currently Playing : Eternal Sonata [PS3] - God Of War Ascension [PS3]
Badrats Studio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #23
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

They know people would probably do that. Easy money saving.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #24
Joe Redifer
Olé!

One nice thing about limited memory systems of old is that they were forced to do more with less space. Maybe this model will help influence that type of design again. Naaaw... probably not.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #25
Zack

the 16gb rumor doesn't make sense for sony unless they release a proprietary hdd addon for it and remove traditional hdd upgrade support
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #26
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack View Post
the 16gb rumor doesn't make sense for sony unless they release a proprietary hdd addon for it and remove traditional hdd upgrade support
Why should they remove traditional HDD support? The whole point is to get the PS3 in stores at a lower price point so that they can undercut the 360 and WiiU while selling to price-conscious customers.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #27
Zack

why not? they stand to profit from doing so, and it can help cut the losses from pricing the 16gb as low as $149.

if sony doesn't remove traditional hdd support, then there is no reason for anyone to NOT buy the 16gb model. why would anyone buy the rumored 500gb model when you can just upgrade your cheap 16gb ps3 w/ a non-sony brand 500gb sata harddrive and save over $100?

the 16gb ps3 won't be less than $199 if it doesn't have a proprietary hdd addon.
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:30 AM   #28
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack View Post
why not? they stand to profit from doing so, and it can help cut the losses from pricing the 16gb as low as $149.

if sony doesn't remove traditional hdd support, then there is no reason for anyone to NOT buy the 16gb model. why would anyone buy the rumored 500gb model when you can just upgrade your cheap 16gb ps3 w/ a non-sony brand 500gb sata harddrive and save over $100?

the 16gb ps3 won't be less than $199 if it doesn't have a proprietary hdd addon.
Introducing a new peripheral (HDD add-on) that's only good for the new console this late in the game, when the PS4 is likely to launch in 2013, would not be super profitable. Since it'd only work with one version of the hardware, I think they'd mostly just sit around on store shelves collecting dust.

Besides, a proprietary hard drive solution runs counter to the PS3 hard drive philosophy that's existed for 5 years. There's just no evidence to think they'll turn a 180 and do something vastly different from what they've been doing so far.

Basically, you're sort of expecting them to undermine the advantages of releasing a low-priced SKU in order to drive additional profits from accessory sales. If they do that, the new console won't be nearly as well-received critically and from savvy consumers.

Last edited by eastx; 07-30-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:40 AM   #29
Alucard

Its dumb that peple will see this as a bargain, not including the fact that they have to spend extra for a hdd unless they're happy to play a very limited range of games.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #30
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

It turned out to be real. Bit ugly and not much cheaper than the previous model, in the US anyway.