The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 07-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
justin_credible

Game Genie is back?

The Game Genie is back ... at least on PS3.

Hyperkin has announced that the Game Genie is shipping today for the PS3. It's a USB device that can transfer game saves to PC, edit them using edits from a database and return to the system.

Doing this can give more money, ammo, experience, etc. It can currently be used on "Uncharted 3, Batman: Arkham City, Final Fantasy XIII-2, and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim," according to the press release.

In addition, Hyperkin said at E3 that the cheats will only be usable offline, and any online cheats that may try to be used will be removed routinely.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Northeastmonk

I wonder if it voids warranty like the Action Replay did. I remember when I worked at GS they couldn't take a console that had it on there.

I don't think games need cheating devices. Because they're too easy to beat ontop of the fact that level bugs and stuff like that seemed to die off this generation with companies spending millions to perfect their game. Last time I remember that happening was jumping outside the level in Halo 2. Outside of that, cheat codes are typically worthless imo.

They've done cheat codes within the game too, so idk.
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
justin_credible

It should give us the 12 downloadable characters pack in SF x Tekken.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Northeastmonk

You got to pay $20 at the end of the month to do it the right way.

I do remember the Game Genie a long time ago. It had a book and a ton of codes.

Maybe if they added big heads to every game. Then it might stand a chance.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I wouldn't buy it, Sony will just update the system so it won't work and then Sony will just ban accounts that use it cause it will be used to get trophies which sony doesn't want. Which is stupid to me, they're the ones that made them mandatory and they don't do anything!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
Northeastmonk

It can't be as bad as the R4 for the DS. lol You can store all the roms you want. I believe it sparked interest concerning Nintendo's involvement.

They say its just a "cheating" device.
Quote:
"The Federal Court has ordered an Australian distributor to pay Nintendo over half a million dollars for selling the R4 mod chip, which allows users to circumvent technology protection measures in Nintendo's DS consoles. The distributor, RSJ IT Solutions, has been ordered to cease selling the chip through its gadgetgear.com.au site and any other sites it controls, as well as paying Nintendo $520,000 in damages."
http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/0...ot%3A+Games%29
Quote:
10,000 games console mod chips seized in Hong Kong

Nintendo has raided a factory that it claims was making devices used to pirate games for its Wii and DS games consoles. Working with local authorities, Nintendo representatives seized more than 10,000 game copying devices and modification chips from the factory in Hong Kong two weeks ago, Nintendo announced in a press statement.

Mod chips take the form of a small circuit board that connects to a console's electronics and overrides or bypasses software verification functions.

Nintendo describes mod chips solely as allowing "the play of pirated Wii discs or illegal copies of Nintendo games downloaded from the internet".

In reality, the devices have a number of other uses, such as making back-up copies of fragile game discs, and temporarily modifying games to make them easier to play. In theory, they also allow independent software developers to create software for consoles without purchasing an expensive development kit or signing a contract with the console vendor.

"Copying the developers' work and spreading the game files globally is blatant stealing. [Piracy] can destroy years of hard work by a team of very talented software developers," claimed Jodi Daugherty, senior director for anti-piracy at Nintendo of America.

The Hong Kong company that was raided, Supreme Factory Ltd, "has ties to a French company, Divineo SARL, and its principal, Max Louarn, who are also named in the legal action initiated by Nintendo," Ninendo announced.

Supreme Factory Ltd appears to be a source of mod chips for several vendors, including Team Cyclops. Online sources suggest that some or all of these vendors, however, are linked to Divineo. Divineo is also allegedly the operator of online gaming website, Maxconsole.

Last September, Divineo and Louarn were ordered to pay more than $9m by a US court for selling mod chips that violated the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
http://slavetothegame.blogspot.com/2...p-factory.html

Plus since most games aren't region locked on PS3, there isn't too much to be concerned about. If this thing allows burned games to be played, like the Game Shark and MAX loaders did, then I could see a problem.

But when it comes down to it, keeping cheaters and those who steal full copies of a game are priority. Most games are always online friendly. Which shows the direction we can all expect from the industry.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
justin_credible

I remember you could mod your PS2s by using GameShark as well. And you could mod original Xbox's using an exploit through Action Replay.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
Northeastmonk

For the original PSX, you could get some rip off brand called "Dragon Shark", which also came with a spring. Place the spring where the sensor is for the disc reader on the PSX. It makes it where the console can tell if its open or closed. This way you could run Japanese imports through the Cheat Menu (or main menu) of the Dragon Shark.

I had a fix on DBZ when I was in my teens. So I had the PSX DBZ titles (which most local game stores sold) with the device as well. Now they localized all them, so there's no worry.

I don't do the modded console thing anymore. I have stricter views on the matter, plus most consoles I like aren't region locked either. But the place I had my Dreamcast modded was shutdown by the FBI (and Sony). They were selling modded consoles, burned DC games, and also did modding on consoles. I paid $50 for the swap disc trick. Which was them basically installing a switch on the side that turned the internal memory on and off. I'd run a NA title first for around 15 seconds, then once it stopped spinning I took the NA disc out and placed the import (which was ShenMue at the time) back inside the DC. It worked perfectly. But I was very young. All I was interested in was playing imports on my US console.

I read on the news and info from a local game store that he was sent to prison and was fined a few 100k. It was during the GameBoy color launch too.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:35 AM   #9
Badrats Studio
Hate it or Love it ヽ(̀ώ )ゝ✧

Location: Medan, Sumatera Utara, Republic Indonesia, South-East Asia
Wait is it require specific firmware like that Jailbreak thing ? If it's not, this thing could save some time.
Currently Playing : Eternal Sonata [PS3]
Badrats Studio is offline   Reply With Quote