The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 06-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #76
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I'm an Xbox and PS3 gamer and I can say that. But then again, I don't waste my time with shit like Skyrim.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #77
stroopwafel
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior View Post
Well I can't say for sure, but perhaps it's much easier to develop for one platform exclusively? Once you factor in the limitations of multiple platforms, maybe developers start thinking in terms of the lowest common denominator for stability instead of playing on the strengths of a single platform?
I agree if developers were honest about their reasons. If they simply said their releases perform poorer on PS3 because they are inexperienced with the system(and then I'm looking predominantly at Bethesda) then they atleast would admit the fault lies with them instead of the supposed faults of the PS3, which Naughty Dog and many others(Arkham City for example, another fairly open world game, also ran perfectly on PS3) have demonstrated time and again is simply not true.

Also if a publisher releases a game it should be held to the same standard for all systems. If you can't guarantee that then simply don't release it for that system. If you know a game underperforms then don't go selling an inferior version for the same price(or even higher) then the other versions. I think you're then just doing people that buy the game a great disservice by deliberately misleading them.

Though speaking from personal experience I played through Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and even NV on PS3 with very few problems. But the principle stands that a publisher should guarantee quality performance above all else.
stroopwafel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #78
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior
Once you factor in the limitations of multiple platforms, maybe developers start thinking in terms of the lowest common denominator for stability instead of playing on the strengths of a single platform?
Very astute, yes.

Because the PS3 is radically different to other platforms too in how it handles its own hardware resource allocation, API specification and more, unless a game is developed primarily for the PS3 then it can be extremely tough to work on and even tougher to port to/from. Often the Xbox and PC build will be worked on together and then split off at the end, whereas the PS3 will be developed parallel to them.

For the case of games like Skyrim and Valve's stuff, the problems they had couldn't be fixed without back-tracking so early into development it just wouldn't have been a financially sound idea. The problems were likely discovered too late. If they had more experience, which Valve had in time for Portal 2, it wouldn't have been so bad.

Sony need to fix their retarded design though, developers shouldn't have to tip-toe around it, they should have had more common sense and not made such horrible design decisions.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #79
stroopwafel
Praise the sun!

Yeah but its only Bethesda that has problems with it and Valve atleast apologized for their horrible Orange Box port.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #80
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Bethesda just didn't fix the problems, nor did Valve. I can guarantee most studios will have had problems with the PS3 version in development still, dedicated PS3 teams will often be formed just to get the thing working. You have to change how you develop a game for it and it's just annoying. Rumours of them dropping the CELL architecture for PS4 make me a happy bunny.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #81
stroopwafel
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSentinels View Post
Bethesda just didn't fix the problems, nor did Valve.
Well ok then, but that is bad enough. Like I said publishers aren't forced to release a PS3 version they do it to rake in the cash and as such the game should be held to the same quality standard as the other versions.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #82
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I do agree, but financially it's not always an option if you've spent millions on a version just to cancel it, or even delay it. Both Valve and Beth have patched up the games as best as they could after release. The fault can be put on both parties; the developers should have taken more care, though that can only really come with hindsight, and Sony shouldn't have been so stupid with their console to make this 'care' be necessary in the first place.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #83
Sulblazer

Okay...who cares about Beth right now? Ummm...Last of Us...yeah? Remember? The game we're all here to shun or, more likely, bust a nut all over?

Yeah, you guys are right...I don't think Naughty Dog will be doing a PC version of anything anytime soon. The good thing about buying a PS3, however, is that I can play the Uncharted series too! Woot, woot! Maybe I'll sell or trade in my Wii...
Old 06-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #84
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Good trade!
Old 07-14-2012, 03:35 AM   #85
calintz
thank you based god

calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #86
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Not watching anything more from this game. Don't need to. I know I want it and I know I'll get it. I don't want to spoil it. That's the same reason I have yet to see a Dark Knight Rises trailer.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #87
progmetal
!

Why can't PC games look this good?

Xbox 360 ID: progmetal (Silver)
PSN ID: Progmetal
progmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #88
calintz
thank you based god

oh no he didn't
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:16 AM   #89
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
DUCK AND COVER!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:22 AM   #90
Badrats Studio
Hate it or Love it ヽ(•̀ω•́ )ゝ✧

Location: Medan, Sumatera Utara, Republic Indonesia, South-East Asia
*Wearing riot-control uniform* Incoming from Australia !
Currently Playing : Eternal Sonata [PS3] - God Of War Ascension [PS3]
Badrats Studio is offline   Reply With Quote