The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 07-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Steam Greenlight

Quote:
Valve is crowdsourcing the approval process for its Steam distribution platform, it said today.

With a new service the company is calling Steam Greenlight, slated to launch at the end of August, Valve will allow gamers to vote on which titles will make it to the popular digital network. Games will not have to reach specific vote numbers, Valve said. They will instead be judged based on relative interest based on the other games in the pipeline.

"For many stores, there is a team that reviews entries and decides what gets past the gates," Valve writes on the Greenlight website. "We're approaching this from a different angle: The community should be deciding what gets released. After all, it's the community that will ultimately be the ones deciding which release they spend their money on."

Developers will have to post at least one video, at least four screenshots or images, and a written description of the game along with "tentative system requirements," Valve says. They'll also have to post a "branding image" like a box cover or logo to represent the game in lists and searches.

Almost sounds like Kickstarter, don't you think? Greenlight will hopefully learn from crowdfunding's positives without inheriting its negatives. For example, in the Q&A on Greenlight's website, one question asks what you should do if you want to see a game succeed.

"Go tell your friends, just don't be annoying about it," Valve writes.
http://kotaku.com/5924552/youll-soon...s-get-on-steam

http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight

Valve gets more awesome everytime they do anything.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
Alucard

Fuck yeah!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Reality
Sin and Punishment

SCREW THIS! I am going to Origin. Were all releases are greenlight from EA. The biggest and most talented publisher in our generation. So you know all the games are going to be good.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I love how they take away content before release and charge us for it later on, it's so great isn't it? Valve always gives us additional content for free and even entire games for free, like when everyone got Portal. Selfish hat-loving bastards.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Greenlight project... HL3!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote