The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 06-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #31
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

I may end up re-playing FF7 all over again.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #32
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

I'm over the whole FFVII thing. I've plugged over 200 hours into that game, so there's no need for me to go back to it again regardless of graphic/sound updates and extras.

SquareEnix has not impressed me in over a decade; they have nothing new to offer. They're just another big company selling off the name-brand recognition of their old-hat franchises while getting a free pass from the VG media. No need to innovate, compose a memorable soundtrack, maintain quality control, et al. Just update their graphics engine by small degrees, create the prototypical cosplay/otaku-ready ensemble of characters, maybe throw in a new gameplay "system" or two and call it a day.

That's SquareEnix in a nutshell.

You wanna know why companies like Square and Enix were so good back in the day? Because they had a healthy does of competition, so their choices were rather limited: either create superior quality offerings and thrive or phone it in and fade away. We need new companies to emerge who are willing to set standards, to give all these lazy companies the wake-up call they need. Otherwise, things will continue to deteriorate.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #33
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSentinels View Post
And behold, through the beauty of PC Gaming, we have a FF7 HD remake:

Click for full size
Nice. I'd drop $12.55 on that (today's exchange rate from 9.99). Kind of weird for them to leave consoles out (perhaps they just haven't prepared anything to announce PSN, XBL releases?) being that the games home is the PS.

Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation,
The Division, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #34
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

That's just a mod too, you can play that right now if you just buy FF7 on PC, though I'm going to wait for it to hit Steam and just get that version, so I know it's all patched up and can use all the Steam features. Looks gorgeus though with those mods, sound quality of the music and battle has been increased too apparently, and lots more.

Maybe this is Wave 1 of older Final Fantasy games being brought onto Steam, and PC in general; Square have started using Steamworks with their PC games after all now, so they must like it.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #35
Alucard

Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #36
Northeastmonk

I hope all the cutscenes are totally redone and we get some better interfaces.

Like this scene with Sephiroth.

Instead of
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #37
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

I have FF7 for the PC but I remember not liking how the music and sound effects sounded. This is when it first was released, so I never tried any of the patches.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #38
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Oh bummer...I thought that was a screenshot of the Steam version. Oh well. I'll see what SquareEnix brings to the table when it happens.

Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation,
The Division, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:12 AM   #39
Northeastmonk

Quote:
Longtime Final Fantasy Producer Stepping Down, Health Reasons Cited
Hiromichi Tanaka, one of the earliest members of Square, with producer credits on Final Fantasy XI, Xenogears and Chrono Cross, will be leaving Final Fantasy XI and Square Enix altogether, reports Famitsu.

An interview at Vanafest 2012 revealed that Tanaka has a "major illness" (this according to Tanaka himself) and that led him into his retirement. Despite the health problem, Tanaka evidently does not intend to leave games development altogether. He told Famitsu that he wants to return to development as a sole creator.

This year's Vana Fest 2012 event started on a high note with the announcement of the Final Fantasy XI Seekers of Adoulin expansion. It ended on a low note with the announcement that Hiromichi Tanaka would not only be stepping down as FFXI's producer, but leaving Square Enix as well.

Tanaka was one of the earliest members of then Square, and did design work on the first few Final Fantasy games before moving on to a producer role on some of the company's most beloved franchises, including Xenogears and Chrono Cross.

So what caused him to leave the company with which he's been employed since 1983? Famitsu.com found out during a mini interview with Tanaka that it conducted during day two of the Vana Fest event today.

It appears that a major contributor to Tanaka's decision was his health. While not going into specifics, he says that he has a major illness, and consideration of his health lead to the decision.

This wasn't the only reason, though. He also said that he asked to resign because he wants to return to the game development scene as a single creator.

Tanaka will be replaced on Final Fantasy XI by Akihiko Matsui, whom Tanaka gave a vote of confidence to in the Famitsu interview.
http://kotaku.com/5920904/longtime-f...d?popular=true
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:12 AM   #40
javi

Quote:
Neither was the death, why are people saying stuff like that, they were just different. Both got extremely good reviews, sold well, FF8 broke tonnes of records at the time, and were received well by most people. The haters of both are just the most vocal about it.

I don't think there has been a 'death' of the franchise anyway. Final Fantasy is one of the largest franchises in the entire industry, there's always going to be ones that don't hold up very well, but Square could go the Call of Duty route and could have not changed a thing about their games, but they don't, FF keeps changing and evolving. I give them credit for that.

14 is the only Final Fantasy I'd ever describe as horrible. 13 wasn't my thing but it was very well received by others, and it wasn't god awful like some people describe. 14 is the only one that's pretty much just bombed start to finish. I'd hardly call that a dying franchise, and everyone was very excited and enthusiastic for Versus, wherever it may be. As for spin-offs I have no idea, not played them all, but the ones I have, I've enjoyed.
13 WAS well received by others. AT THE TIME. Now, people look at it and accept it as just a bland game that could of been much better. For how the game was design, if it was like Kingdom Hearts or any of the Tales games, then I can see this game being so much better. And like I said about 13 in the past, just because it was well received, don't think it was well received for the right reason from so many people. I have a very good friend, the same guy who rants about 12, would still defend this game for all the wrong reasons. "I think the game's sales records speaks for itself." No it doesn't. It tells me that there are people out there who would just buy for being a Final Fantasy game. "I think the reviews speaks for itself." But what do they think about today? I bet you anything that some game journalist today look back at it and wonder if they were drunk playing 13, and calling it a very good game. That is kind of like how Sam looked back at his comment on Mario Kart Double Dash as the best Mario Kart ever. At least he doesn't think that anymore, and sees it as just a good game.

There are some moments here and there that a new Final Fantasy game does work, such as Crisis Core (which I don't care if anyone says against it, because I still think it was a pretty good game), and Type-00. But overall, I will take back on saying that the franchise is dead, because it isn't. It's sort of beyond repair at this point, and could at least come up with anything that can bring back the reputation that it once had, as long as they do it right.
Friend Code: 1246-9222-7767
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:27 AM   #41
Alucard

Crisis Core, while having an average combat system, had an excellent story. I really enjoyed it.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #42
Badrats Studio
Hate it or Love it ヽ(̀ώ )ゝ✧

Location: Medan, Sumatera Utara, Republic Indonesia, South-East Asia
Quote:
In what way was it 'dumbed down'? The Junction system let you micro-manage every single stat of each character, as well as every single Elemental and Status effect, and then all thr GF's skills and stats, and the magic. No other Final Fantasy gives you that same level of control
I believe that's the wrong thing of it. Everyone seems like "too similar" each other in Attributes. Almost no difference between each characters.
Currently Playing : Eternal Sonata [PS3] - God Of War Ascension [PS3]
Badrats Studio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:06 AM   #43
calintz
thank you based god

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi View Post
which I don't care if anyone says against it, because I still think it was a pretty good game
i say this about FF12, and i don't care if anyone says against it, it was the last great FF
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #44
FinalSolace2
IRAQ- Please assimilate forget past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior View Post
I'm glad you enjoyed 8, 9, and 10.

I hated all of them, 9 was good at times, but whenever I think of that game, two things come to mind: Kuja being a horrible villain (Seemed like they just tried to combine Sephiroth and Kefka into one character), and the last boss that comes out of nowhere.

I actually loved XII, but I've come to realize that I'm in the minority in that opinion here. I just loved how the Gambit system removed a lot of the boring and repetitive aspects of battles and made me feel that by getting all the micromanaging automated, I could focus on the macromanagement of battles more. But I think a lot of people here thought FFXII was too mmo'y for them.

[Edit] Here's my opinion on each of the non-MMO FF games since 6, IN CHART FORM!:

Click for full size

Fuck yes! Charts!

100% agree

10 looked weird, the animations were too, erm too.... whats the word...too smooth? un-charactery

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
FinalSolace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #45
stroopwafel
Praise the sun!

Quote:
And behold, through the beauty of PC Gaming, we have a FF7 HD remake:

Click for full size
Oh wow that looks great. That character model for Cloud is way sharper and a lot more detailed. If they did the same for the environment you'd have a full fledged remake(the kind I always wanted tbh). I may end up buying this version as well and replay FF7 for the zillionth time :p
stroopwafel is offline   Reply With Quote