The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 06-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
javi

javi reviews...

Lately, I've been doing my art project for my finals, which I finally finished this morning, and I haven't been given myself the time to play anything. That, and I was also working on my other art projects as well. Pikachief and I share the same steam account, and he downloaded this game not too long ago. I beat this game on Tuesday, and the only reason for why I played this game was only because I wanted to play something short. It was short, but I really enjoyed this game a lot.

There really isn't a story, but the way how this game was made didn't need one, which I thought that was the beauty behind it. To me, this game kind of showed me that there are still games out there that don't need a story, and can still work. Either that, or maybe the creator was lazy not to write in a story. ...or maybe he's not that good of a writer. I don't know. I don't the guy anyway. But I do love the ending though. It's just like what Harry Plinkett once said in his Phantom Menace review of one of the protagonist's cliches, "he gets the girl on the end, as icing on the cake."

I love how the game looks. Making it black and white made me feel like I was playing a black and white movie. Sort of like a silent film, only with sound effects put in. It fit in the atmosphere and the type of game that Limbo is. Even the lighting in this game works beautifully in black and white, whether if you are indoors, outdoors, or looking at the background. There was just so much going on in the backgrounds, that it was sort of telling a story at the same time in a game that doesn't have a story.

The music in this game does come on every once in a while, and when it's on, it's eerie and creepy. But when there is no music, the sound effects are great, like if you are trying to run away from the buzz saw in some cases, or the first few minutes in the game when you are walking in the forest, with the wind blowing.

The gameplay is very simple. All you have to use is just the arrow keys to obviously move, and you have the ctrl key to jump. The game starts off pretty easy for you to get started, but it does get sort of complex and tricky as you are going on. However, it is still playable to the point that the game doesn't play itself as if it feels impossible. The platforms and obstacles are cleverly made and does take some time to figure out what to. If I rate the difficulty on these platforms and obstacles by comparing it's difficulty, I would say it's close to being as difficult as Portal. It's almost there with it's difficulty.

This was a really, really, really good game, and if you haven't played this game yet, go buy it now. It will be worth it.

5/5
Friend Code: 1246-9222-7767
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I love this game. I feel that this game is the boy's dream, but obviously it's not just any dream. That's about as far as I've thought about the story. I'll definitely be picking up Limbo 2: Limbo Harder when it drops.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:01 AM   #3
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

More of a nightmare than a dream. And yeah, utterly fantastic game. Something so simple ends up being so deep, and it just looks phenomenal. Best looking game I've ever seen, flat-out.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:25 AM   #4
Alucard

I still need to play it. Have it, but have a billion other things too.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:33 AM   #5
zechin
THERE IS NO BATHROOM!

The sequel = Bimbo.
zechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
I still need to play it. Have it, but have a billion other things too.
It's really short, can just take one night off from your busy Halo schedule and probably finish it there.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:16 AM   #7
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Dude, his Sim is about to find true love. Alucard's been dropping hints to him for months now and it's finally about to pay off.

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
Transistor, The Witcher 3, Watch_Dogs, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation, The Division
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:45 AM   #8
Alucard

I've got the bedroom already set too

Old 06-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I got you a present man, you'll need it.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #10
Alucard

Old 06-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
progmetal
!

Limbo was very frustrating, but still a good game.

Xbox 360 ID: progmetal (Silver)
PSN ID: Progmetal
progmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:56 AM   #12
javi

I'm not going to lie, Pikachief had this game for years, and I kept on forgetting that we even had this game. I saw him play this game, and I thought it looked interesting. When he told me that this is like Super Metroid, I was sold on that idea alone. However, I saw him play this game at the time I was out of town for a two year program at my old bible college in Murrieta, California. I was visiting one day and saw him play Shadow Complex during a Saturday, and didn't give myself the time to play it. Now I have, and I really like this game.

Basically, it's about this huge liberation front that looks like its run by Cobra Commander, and you play as a character who is SOOO forgettable, that I forgot what his name was. The main guy and his girlfriend, who is also forgettable, were going hiking at the woods somewhere in Washington, and stumbles at this hidden base. From there, the woman gets captured, and you are to break in and rescue her, and stop this evil empire that will soon take over the US.

My only reason for why I think that these characters are forgettable is because they are just boring to me. You don't have too much of a character development between these two other than the fact that one was trained as a soldier who chose not to be a soldier on the end of his training, and that the girlfriend was a spy throughout the entire game. Other than that, they try to put in character development in the main character, but there just isn't enough. Yeah, you get one flashback of a conversation between the main character and his dad on why he didn't want to be a soldier, but that's the one scene of character development that you will ever get from him. I wasn't too much of a fan of his personality either. There was one point that he tried to joke around like he was John McClain inside of an air vent scene from the first Die Hard movie. Didn't work, and it wasn't funny.

Now, enough from the characters. The game does look good, IF it was made 2007. The reason for why I say that was because this game was made in 2009 instead of 2007. The graphics were just alright for me, but I thought it could of looked a tad-bit better. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the graphics suck. That's not what I'm saying. All that I'm saying is that if I would have given Chair some extra cash, and extra time to improve on something, I would have them work on the graphics a little bit more.

The music was pretty good though, and I really do like the sound effects in this game too. Don't have too much to say about that, other than the fact that the sound in this game sounds very good.

The game play in itself is very solid, and I works great too. There is nothing complicated about it, nor is there anything too easy about it. Its challenging, and it all works great! It's not a short game, and it could take you to 2-3 days to finish. But if you want to get everything, like what I do all the time (except for this game, all for getting to the final act of the game by mistake), then this might take you just 3 days average to finish.

In conclusion, this game does have it's problems, but no way did any of those problems stops me from liking this game so much. I do recommend this game, regardless of the problems that I touched upon so much.

3.5/5
Old 06-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #13
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

To be fair games like Super Metroid also had very little character development but is well received (even by me). These type of games are more about the gameplay and exploring. I do agree that the story in this game is kind of funny when you think about it.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
javi

I know that, but they try to put in some character into these people and it didn't work.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #15
javi

I just finished this last week, and now I'm going to give my thoughts on this game. At first, I was clueless of what this game was. I heard it once, but that was all. Then Pikachief downloaded it, and watching him play this game intrigued me. I finally managed to beat a game before him, which is very rare for me. Oh, and I love this game too.

In this day and age where the 2D animated side scrolling is coming back from the dead through indie games, such as super meat boy, this one is my favorite out of all of them. And speaking of Meat boy, you do find him, as well as other characters you can unlock. Those characters are Gomez from Fez (which I will get into soon, after I'm done), Meat Boy's girlfriend, dishwasher, and others who I forgot. Anyway, this game is a metroidvania game on how your character levels up, and how the levels are designed. The fighting is a lot like the hack and slasher type of games, like Dishwasher. I would go as far as saying the gameplay looks like a 2D modern day Ninja Gaiden. There's even a move where if you hold on the Y button, you can spin your blade as a fan of death to all that come against you. But if you jump in the air and hold down on the Y button, you can spin your way around in the air, kind of like the spinning light saber move in the Super Star Wars games.

The story is about Dust, who starts off as a killing machine, slaughtering villages, under the main villain, General Gaiaus. I think that's how you spell his name. If not, help me out. He then wakes up a year later by himself in a forest, and can't remember who he is, and is called by a talking sword to rise, and defeat Gaiaus.

The game itself looks like a work of art. The animation looks stunning, and some of the 3D stuff in the game looks good too. However, the character designs do look good, but what distracts me about them is that some of their bodies are CGI. I would prefer if their bodies were not CGI. The Cinematic scenes were good, but they could of looked better in my opinion.

The music in this game sounds really good, and I enjoyed listening to it. But the voice acting is what annoys me. Dust's acting isn't bad, not it's nothing for me to remember. I do like how his character is mysterious that you kind of want to know more about him. You have a sword that talks, and is his mentor throughout the game. His voice acting isn't bad, and it fits with the character. But everyone else, including the villagers, all sound like stereotypes of different nationalities for some reason. But the worst one is your companion. Figit. Man, she is one character that I hated. Not even the game itself appreciates her performance either. She sounds like it was performed by Nancy Cartwright, and was paid a whooping amount of cash to make the most annoying voice in the world.

But overall, this game is just great. It shows a lot of effort was put into making this game, its fair and simple, and it is a must buy.

4.5/5