The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 06-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #31
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

All doesn't matter anyway becaaaaause:

Quote:
Studio head Darrell Gallagher said in a prepared statement: "We were not clear in a recent E3 press interview and things have been misunderstood. Sexual assault of any kind is categorically not a theme that we cover in this game."
Crystal Dynamics and publisher Square Enix were yesterday at the centre of a media storm regarding the next Tomb Raider game allegedly featuring a rape attempt on the global gaming icon. National media in the UK and the US also picked up the item.

But Gallagher insists that the game's producer, Ron Rosenberg, had misspoken when discussing the scene.

Said Gallagher: "One of the character-defining moments for Lara in the game, which has been incorrectly referred to as an 'attempted rape scene', is the content we showed at this year's E3 where Lara is forced to kill another human being for the first time. In this particular section, while there is a threatening undertone in the sequence and surrounding drama, it never goes any further than the scenes that we have already shown publicly."
http://www.computerandvideogames.com...ed-rape-scene/

I hope this is true, and the devs aren't just caving in under all the controversy and not sticking to their guns. Games should be allowed to tackle stuff like this in their storylines without a tonne of retarded 'controversy' springing up with it, gaming storylines have become just as good as movies in this generation and shouldn't be treated differently in ways like this, and how they're evil and make children into murderers, etc.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:07 PM   #32
Ernst

I actually think this is probably true and Icarus is right. They were tying to make it seem more controversial than it was. All they have to apologise for is that guy's pretty sexist statements when pitching the game. It's him that needs a talking to in my opinion, the game itself as far as we've seen seems okay. By the way, I genuinely don't believe they've changed anything about the game, I think they're merely talking a new spin around it. If it hadn't been for Rosenberg's statements I don't think there would have been as much of a fuss.

Thanks for the update.
Ernst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #33
Northeastmonk

I know a quick fix to all this, bump her age to 18.
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #34
Ernst

Ha, see that's one of the things Stroop's PC Guardianistas would get in a frenzy about. 'YOU SAYING IF SHE WAS 18 THAT YOU CAN'T BE RAPED!? SAYING THAT WOMEN ABOVE 18 WANT IT!?!?? ANIMAL!!!!!!!' etc.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #35
Northeastmonk

I don't see them going too graphic with this. Are they going to show Laura being dragged away? I mean, she never dealt with past issues in the previous games (being a rich girl with fighting abilities and all).

They've delt with issues like this, Japan gets away with it btw. But even in L.A. Noir there was a child molestor next to one of the schools that was part of a case.

She's been a video game icon for years because of her looks. I just don't see this thing being that too big of a deal. It's like having Ellen Page in all the video games, she reminds me of young teenager, who I don't care to have in any of my games.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #36
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Because as soon as you hit 18, rape is legal. Wooooo!
Old 06-15-2012, 01:42 AM   #37
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

http://www.vg247.com/2012/06/14/the-...-says-spector/

From the Deus Ex creator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSentinels View Post
Because as soon as you hit 18, rape is legal. Wooooo!

When did Alucard hijack your account?

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:30 AM   #38
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

It has gone too far. Violence in videogames has taken the place of the story. I understand if the violence is included if it has merit to the story's growth (ie Killing Aerith), but when it is gratuitous (ie COD's airport scene and little girl blowing up) it serves no purpose; but to shock. I really wanted Hitman...until I saw the new game play. The violence totally put me off.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear Wii U=MrBear14518
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #39
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

I think the larger issue is that most of the bigger titles being made are using violence as a selling point, as if its inclusion were obligatory rather than optional. The more gratuitous, the better, or so it seems. Then they can bolster it for cheap attention, as in TR's case. But a VG doesn't necessarily need excessive violence/gore in order to tell a story. They sure don't leave much to the imagination.

Even worse (from my perspective) is how video games have become more like interactive movies. There's far more use of cinematics/QTE and less gameplay. What little gameplay there is has been dumbed down to the point where I feel like I'm just going along for the ride rather than earning my way through via steadily-increasing difficulty and mastering all the gameplay nuances. All you do in most new titles is either aim and shoot at something or perform a 30-hit combo on a group of foes.

Game developers need to realize that they're not all a bunch of high-calibur film directors. Pretty ironic how they try to make their storylines all clever and smart yet the gameplay is usually the stupidest thing about the product.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #40
Ernst

Quote:
“I think we’re just appealing to an adolescent mindset and calling it mature. It’s time to stop. I’m just glad I work for a company like Disney, where not only is that not something that’s encouraged, you can’t even do it, and I’m fine with it.”
I think that's the operative paragraph of his statement. I'll write more on this when I'm at my Mac, can't on this iPad.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #41
Northeastmonk

An M-rated title is suggested like an R rated movie. How many parents simply buy their kids R rated movies just because the store clerk checks IDs. Some parents ignore the mindset of the ratings system. This is indeed an 17+ rated game. So the "parent" does buy it and shoves it in their arms when they get home.

Violence has its place in society, because it will always exist in someway, shape, or form.

If you fast track to 10 or 20 years in the future, this whole debate was probably well worth it. Because I highly doubt the genre will disappear.

SavedFromSin; sniping someone from a window and coming up close with a butcher knife. Does the sniping some how calm you down? It's still violence.

Aerith's death was like an opera death performance. It was not that graphic. I just don't see why its too much in games like Hitman.

Granted if you made the same argument about Japanese hardcore movies like Dream Home and Ichi the Killer, where the main point is to show entrails, organs, and massive amounts of blood. I'd see where you could pass on it. But games like Hitman where any object is used for a "assassin" in close quarters areas does not make sense. I mean, think about Assassin's Creed. He is simple using a small weapon to do the crime. When you get down to it, he sticks the blade down their neck cutting their aortic artery or juggulars?, allowing them to bleed internally. Now that is disgusting imo. lol
Old 06-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #42
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

I can't wait to garote some poor bastard in the new Hitman.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #43
stroopwafel
Praise the sun!

That Hitman game is gonna be awesome.

Deus-ex was also awesome but Spector sounds like some kind of self-appointed arbiter of the intellectual high-ground who tries to paint some rosey picture on the face of primitive human impulses. Not gonna work. There is a reason why sex and violence sells and that is that both appeals to an instinctual attraction that is shared by all animals, humans not exempted despite having the capacity for higher brain functions. This may override our animalistic nature but will never subvert it.

There is ample evidence for this given the fact that human history is soaked in war and carnage. A penchant for violence is obviously coded into our DNA since time immemorial. Now ofcourse we have societies and political institutions and judiciary systems and this whole determinant of social stratification and arbitrary rules for acceptable and appropriate behavior and people will act accordingly(well most of them anyway) but take this away and let the system implode and what do you have? Humans reverting back to violent animals. Well I wouldn't even call it reverting back since that would imply their facade was genuine but rather dropping the act of suger-coating their true thoughts and desires.

Ofcourse it's even more complex because human nature is often contradictory and there is also a definite need for peace, cooperation and harmony given our development as a social species but ingrained instinctual tendencies for violence cannot be denied. Videogames and movies are just a harmless outlet for these fantasies. And as such violence will remain a dominant theme.
stroopwafel is offline   Reply With Quote