The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 06-04-2012, 03:08 AM   #61
Alucard

They're to be called 'console gamers favrouite genre' is what they should be called. I seriously cant recall what the last fps game I played was.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:20 AM   #62
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Ego Shooters
Shmups
Bemups (yes, I've actually seen that term used seriously when referring to beat 'em ups).

Gamers are showing their signs of retardation.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:35 AM   #63
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
They're to be called 'console gamers favrouite genre' is what they should be called. I seriously cant recall what the last fps game I played was.
The FPS will always be PC's thing, console gaming stole it and made it worse when all they cared about was multiplayer.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #64
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_credible View Post
Honestly screw Double Dragon, I was much more excited to see this. I had no idea they were releasing them.
I thought you hated rereleases? That is a nice ass collection though.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #65
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
That is a nice ass collection though.

Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation,
The Division, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:12 AM   #66
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Here's me and a friend playing Neon at E3:

And the promised interview with the game's producer. Question inspired by Joe (but surely not answered to his satisfaction)!

And here's an article about my favorite E3 XBLA games, including Neon and others. Please visit and leave a comment as that helps us look good to the developers, etc.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:34 AM   #67
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Thoughts about the gameplay:
Are you sure this is Double Dragon? I ask because part of the game is spent trying to get the best celebration. High-fiving, chest bumping and who knows what else. They didn't just score a touchdown, there's no need for this. It's also very out of character for the Double Dragon universe. Perhaps Billy and Jimmy like each other a *bit* more than we knew. Then the next thing you know THEY'RE IN OUTER SPACE! No space suits, not even indoors. Lack of air? No problem. Lack of gravity? Not an issue. Outer space is what Double Dragon has always been about. And Abobo looks nothing like Abobo.

Thoughts on the interview:
Majesco? The same people who released the shitty Genesis 3 and all of those shitty Genesis controllers? They also re-released games like Castlevania Bloodlines in CARDBOARD boxes! Cheap bastards. Virt did the soundtrack? Didn't know that. He's not bad. I used to talk with him online a bit waaaay back in the day. He got really upset with the way we were running the site and left to make his own shitty site, VGmix which ended up failing multiple times. MP3s? These are considered a viable asset? So the sound quality is already crushed from the source? I hope he was just referring to examples for him to listen to and uncompressed files would be coming later.

Two player all the time? No single player? Eff that. That's a deal breaker for sure.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:46 AM   #68
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
Thoughts about the gameplay:
Are you sure this is Double Dragon? I ask because part of the game is spent trying to get the best celebration. High-fiving, chest bumping and who knows what else. They didn't just score a touchdown, there's no need for this. It's also very out of character for the Double Dragon universe. Perhaps Billy and Jimmy like each other a *bit* more than we knew. Then the next thing you know THEY'RE IN OUTER SPACE! No space suits, not even indoors. Lack of air? No problem. Lack of gravity? Not an issue. Outer space is what Double Dragon has always been about. And Abobo looks nothing like Abobo.

Thoughts on the interview:
Majesco? The same people who released the shitty Genesis 3 and all of those shitty Genesis controllers? They also re-released games like Castlevania Bloodlines in CARDBOARD boxes! Cheap bastards.

Two player all the time? No single player? Eff that. That's a deal breaker for sure.
He's just saying 2-player is the way to play, as it always has been for Double Dragon and beat-em-ups. Of course it's single-player too.

Majesco is indeed the company you're thinking of, but it's more relevant to discuss what Wayforward has done. A Boy and His Blob, Contra 4, the side-scrolling Bloodrayne, etc. Not that I was crazy about Contra 4, but at least we know they have a thing for classic games.

The high-five mechanic is just an optional co-op thing to do for buffs, etc. It's silly and keeping in touch with the game's nostalgic view of 80's culture. Remember, this isn't a canonical approach to Double Dragon - it's a very stylized interpretation.

I do understand qualms about the space stuff, but IMO they were inspired by Battletoads/Double Dragon on top of stuff like Big Trouble in Little China. Some of the bad guys actually wear helmets, but presumably there's an artificial atmosphere out there. It's definitely fun watching enemies get sucked out of the airlock and float away helplessly, at any rate.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:57 AM   #69
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I don't recall the space scene from Big Trouble in Little China.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:00 AM   #70
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
I don't recall the space scene from Big Trouble in Little China.
That would explain why I worked Battletoads Double Dragon into the sentence. There's also a comment somewhere from one of the team saying they'd like to actually include the Battletoads at some point if they could get permission, so maybe they're trying to lay the groundwork there.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:06 AM   #71
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The mention of Big Trouble in Little China makes no sense at all, especially when we're talking about the space level. I have not seen any Big Trouble in Little China-ness. It resembles Double Dragon the movie more than Big Trouble in Little China.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:14 AM   #72
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
The mention of Big Trouble in Little China makes no sense at all, especially when we're talking about the space level. I have not seen any Big Trouble in Little China-ness. It resembles Double Dragon the movie more than Big Trouble in Little China.
I meant that non-realistic elements in the game (including some of the unlockable special moves) are influenced by fantasy films like that. Compared to the first Double Dragon game, running around in space and/or throwing fireballs are both pretty fanciful. Didn't mean to confuse you by grouping space and mystical under the non-realistic umbrella.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #73
Alucard

I really cant get into it because of the under water moving speed. I also think if this game didnt have the double dragon title it probably would be ignored. Apart from a couple familiar level designs, nothing about the game is double dragon.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #74
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
I really cant get into it because of the under water moving speed. I also think if this game didn't have the double dragon title it probably would be ignored. Apart from a couple familiar level designs, nothing about the game is double dragon.
That speed thing's all in your head. The characters move just as fast as any other brawler, and there's also a dash move, of course.

Other Double Dragon elements besides the level designs include most of the original enemies (plus new ones), the original weapons (plus new ones), and the soundtrack. Yeah, there's a lot of new stuff on top of the old stuff, but it's still recognizably Double Dragon IMO (and I'm a huge DD fan).
Old 06-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #75
Alucard

Its not in the head. The video of the original I upped earlier showed that not only the speed of them walking is slightly slower, but also the punches and kicks are slower. The game is slower. Plus if you'd never been shown the first stage and just shown the space levels, the chest bumps etc, you'd have absolutely no idea this was double dragon.