The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 05-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #16
justin_credible

You're just living in the past still, it's not coming back.

You've said you wished they would make new systems with graphics like SNES, no chance in hell that will happen. The best chance for the type of games you want to happen are on PSN, XBL Arcade and WiiWare. But mostly the games there haven't been what we would really want when it comes to revitalizing old franchises. (other than a few 8 bit new Mega Mans and some 2D Sonics)

Look I'm not saying you're wrong in how you feel, I'm just saying it's not happening. All companies seem to be learning towards being major frontrunners these days. (see 17,394 Yakuzas to 0 Shenmue 3s) I would love to see a new Maximo, those are pretty epic platformers IMO, beat both Maximos not a ton of people can say that.

Nintendo gets critisized for being frontrunners but at least they took a chance on a new Kid Icarus, for what it's worth. They also brought back Punch Out for the Wii.

Capcom seems to also have forgotten the Onimusha series, so its not even just their really old series' that they ignore these days. Onimusha 1 was the first game to sell 1million+ copies out of any game on the PS2, but the sequels did not sell as well. Seeing there hasn't been one in 7 years or so it just shows you right there it's all about the sales figures. They dont have faith in most of their own franchises, just like Sega doesnt have faith in Shenmue. It's sad that the average moronic game buyer really sort of dicates what games are released with their wallets.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #17
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

The best thing that could happen to the industry is another crash but that's unlikely at the present time. Videogaming has become too entrenched into the mainstream society. I know that the industry isn't going to look like the past again, ever, but that doesn't make another creative renaissance period impossible.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #18
stroopwafel
Praise the sun!

Also Dragons Dogma another new IP from Capcom is awesome. Thoroughly enjoying that game. Its western aesthetics with Japanese subtlety, flair and game-design. It's like Japan is creating a new genre, someone coined ''darkslashers'' which I think is a good description :p

Now this with RE6 in the making I think Capcom is on the right track. Konami as well with a probable ZOE3 and other new games on the Fox engine. Past successes won't define them anymore hopefully in the near future.
stroopwafel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #19
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

My bro got Dragon's Dogma and likes it, far as I can tell. Even so, Capcom shouldn't forget its heritage; there's no valid reason why both their established franchises and new concepts cannot coexist. As for Konami, err... I haven't been impressed with any of their recent offerings. As a matter of fact, much of it is outsourced, causing me to wonder what they're doing over in their Japanese offices. I mean this is the same company that gave us Gradius, Contra, Snatcher, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Suikoden, and so many other classics. How the mighty have fallen.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:23 AM   #20
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

On the subject of Mystical Ninja, Monkeypaw are trying to get the PS2 game released as a digital download. Working Designs were meant to do it originally but it was rejected by SCEA at the time for whatever silly reason despite the localization being done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578 View Post
Well if you say so. Even if I do finish one of their newer games, they don't keep me playing long afterwards.
This generation alone they started Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Zack & Wiki, Sengoku Basara, Spyborgs, Dark Void, Last Ranker, Ghost Trick, Asura's Wrath, Dragon's Dogma . That's 10 new IP's in 6 years.

Last edited by Escaflowne2001; 05-27-2012 at 04:08 AM.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #21
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Capcom always comes up with new IPs with every console generation, which is good (well, some of it is). Probably the most fun I had with a Capcom game this gen was with Dead Rising 2. SFIV's ok, I guess, but it's got nothing on SFIII.

Anywho, I know that people are happy about Claire returning for Downfall, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you're getting another Code Veronica-caliber installment.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #22
Nem
Awakening

No, but a revelations calibur installment might be realistic expectation.

I dont expect any new game to thrill me like the old games did. I really dont know how to explain why. Its just that most games made these days are more about beeing 1 million seller FPS's than delivering engaging stories and compelling fantasy worlds.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #23
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

It's called following the trend. Games such as CoD set sales records and everyone scrambles to follow suit. Capcom sees the RE franchise as a lucrative business venture and pumps out sequel and spin-offs, cash cow that they are. Generally speaking, the lower the budget, the greater creative freedom allowed. If a company invests millions on overhead costs, they're going to want to go for the surefire money-maker, so the suits who are fronting the money call the shots.

It's easy to play the blame game and point fingers at stuff like the mainstream (i.e. "casual") market, corporate influence, media, demographics, etc. but ultimately it's the gamers who make the final decision with their wallets. If the vast majority of consumers plop down cash on cookie-cutter FPS, developers will produce FPS games by the truckload. You get what you pay for, so to speak.

People such as myself (and I assume you as well) who place great value on creativity, artistry and other such qualities in their VG products are in the minority. We used to be the majority and now we're a niche market. Incredible, huh?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #24
Dj Jimmi Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaflowne2001 View Post
On the subject of Mystical Ninja, Monkeypaw are trying to get the PS2 game released as a digital download. Working Designs were meant to do it originally but it was rejected by SCEA at the time for whatever silly reason despite the localization being done.

This generation alone they started Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Zack & Wiki, Sengoku Basara, Spyborgs, Dark Void, Last Ranker, Ghost Trick, Asura's Wrath, Dragon's Dogma . That's 10 new IP's in 6 years.

The PS2 game their trying to release is a terrible game compared to Goemon's adventures before that, hell the DS game they released is ten times better than that awful abortion of the series. Sengoku Basara was also last generation Esca, but the fact still remains that, yes, Capcom is one of the better Japanese dev's out there.

Ganguro Gals fo Life!
Dj Jimmi Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #25
Slash
BUTTOUT!

They use to be the best. Now all they want to do is make a bounch dark emo games. Look at how they ruin the DMC series?
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #26
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

That's only one game none of there other games are like that and I haven't played DMC yet so I can't really comment on the story.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #27
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

If Downfall is anything like Revelations, it's going to be awesome.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #28
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

My one wish is that there are less areas where you just have to fight waves of bad guys without making any progress.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #29
Nem
Awakening

Well, my wish is they actually make the game seemless instead of breaking it into chapters.
I like the story so far videos and the little story twists at the end of each chapter, but it shouldnt mean you should reset all enemies and take you to a result screen bringing you out of the experience.

A seemless world that i can travel from point A to point B without constant respawns if i chose to blow my ammo to clear the path.