The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 12-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #46
stroopwafel
Praise the sun!

Since the bugs in Fallout 3 and NV are more or less the same I'd say the problem is more with the Gamebryo engine rather than the developers. Either that or Bethesda and Obsidian both don't know how to code properly.

I agree with DS that with games of this magnitude some bugs are to be expected. The only thing that really annoys me are game breaking freezes. I'm playing Skyrim at the moment and eventhough I am enjoying it immensely having to reboot a few times because the game gets stuck in a loading screen is not fun.

As for the games themselves, and espescially if they are all patched up, both Fallout 3/NV, Oblivion and now Skyrim offer highly immersive open world experiences. Nothing is extremely good(like the combat in Skyrim is still clumsy and imprecise, espescially compared to something like Dark Souls. The FPS element in Fallout is also fairly poor), but it does so many things at the same time really well in a setting that is so vast and expansive that you just want to keep on exploring which is an accomplishment that is impressive to say the least. Bugs or not :p

As for which is better Fallout 3 or NV I think 3 was a bit more moody but NV had better writing and humour. For the most part they are pretty similair though. I wouldn't be able to tell they are from different developers.
stroopwafel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:11 AM   #47
Alucard

Interview about the South park from from Obsidian CEO. Looks like the game is going to play like how an episode of the show looks like on tv. Sounds interesting. Whats pretty cool is the south park guys contacted obsidian directly. They ignored sega lol. You also know Obsidian are the ones when the CEO whos talking about the game says 'it needs a lot of children dying'.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...-park-rpg.aspx
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #48
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

Pretty awesome. I like how they are working closely with the game.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #49
Talset09
Registered Dude

Quote:
Obsidian Entertainment reportedly experienced a round of layoffs this week, with the extent of the damage not entirely clear. The company's forums lay out an idea of the body count, with messages on Twitter filling in more details.

"Another project canceled, this time for a future next-gen project and the layoffs impacted that team, plus the existing South Park team," a tipster wrote Joystiq. "Approximately 20-30 people from all disciplines, including one person who started yesterday, as well as one who started last week."

It was around this time last year that Obsidian also let staff go. We've contacted the company for an official statement.
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/14/re...-affected-fut/
Old 03-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #50
Alucard

Fuck you bethesda. Obsidian need to break away and go straight into fan funding for games. They'll achieve a lot more there then having to work under fascist publishers.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #51
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Oh, Alucard. Have you listened to nothing KoS says?
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #52
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Well since Obsidian only have 12 employees, and have now lost 20 - 30, that puts them at around -22 employees now. How they get anything done is beyond me!

And it's not Bethesda's fault...

Obsidian are private, so, they let the employees go because they couldn't afford to pay their wages. Since they're private, Bethesda don't help pay, it's got nothing to do with Bethesda, who are probably giving them money as we speak and giving them a project to do, thus letting them earn more money once it's released. If they had no projects going on right now the loss would probably be higher. They're funding the South Park game, it's Obsidian's other project which is more likely to be the cause of why they're needing to lay off staff and save money, since the Kotaku article mentioned they're working South Park and another unannounced game. Bethesda aren't going to just give them money for the hell of it, that's not how it works.

Sooner they finish it and release it, the better.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #53
Nem
Awakening

Skyrim new vegas!

I kid... it just had to be said.

I like obsidian, but the reviewers are relentless to them.
Dungeon siege 3 was pretty good and underated... Alpha protocol was a waste though.

Fallout NV sold pretty well so i dunno why they are in so much trouble.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #54
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Well DS3 and Alpha Protocol both sold quite badly and had big budgets. New Vegas selling so well is probably the reason they can have more projects going on at once, but in order to keep them going, they have to shed some money. It would either be letting employees go, or cancelling the project, which would probably cost millions and could put the studio in a bit of jeopardy, so they had to cut some staff.

Problem with them being Private is the entire development isn't funded by anyone but them, with probably little grants given by publishers once it's agreed upon, but they'll still be shelling out a lot to make the games. So they need good sales to make back the money, and of NV, DS3 and AP, only New Vegas sold well.

Obsidian could be in a tad bit of trouble, especially if South Park and their unannounced project do badly.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #55
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Delayed until 2013

Think this game gets released?

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
Transistor, The Witcher 3, Watch_Dogs, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation, The Division
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #56
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Lots of stuff getting delayed right now - Bioshock, Tomb Raider, this. It'll come but it'll take a while.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote