The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 05-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #31
Ernst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
The decreasing sales of Suikoden games, particularly the last two, say otherwise.

Also, the usual nationalism? Please.
My evidence is merely anecdotal, from the Suikoden forums. Not a single fan who visits any Suikoden forum I visit refused the awful DS game or PSP game. Also the declining sales figures don't say anything definitively. It's just as easy to extrapolate from them that the only people left buying Suikoden are the fans.

But as Drunken made clear earlier, it's best we link to sources when we make factuak assertions relating to the numbers, so I'll link to this sites sales figures of the Suikoden series just to make it clear:

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Suikoden

@Badrats

Story, gameplay, everything. There were drastic overhauls, not least the decision to make them non-canon, remove war gameplay, etc. they're bastardisations. I'd say, anecdotally, there is a general consensus among the community on this one.

@KoS

Good point. I hadn't actually realised the game wasn't canon.
Ernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #32
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroopwafel View Post
Yeah I agree. As long as the gameplay still mirrors the best games in the series I could care less about the characters or story to be honest.
So you do care then, since you could care less?

And if you meant to say you couldn't care less, you might not, but others do and are entitled to. If you like a storyline of a game, or book, or anything, and then see it changed for the worse, there's nothing wrong with being a bit hacked off about it. I hate that in DMC4 they nailed the combat and I enjoyed the story and Dante's character, and then Capcom choose to reboot it, after the most successful game in the series as Nem said. Weirdos!
Old 05-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #33
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernst View Post
My evidence is merely anecdotal, from the Suikoden forums. Not a single fan who visits any Suikoden forum I visit refused the awful DS game or PSP game. Also the declining sales figures don't say anything definitively. It's just as easy to extrapolate from them that the only people left buying Suikoden are the fans.

But as Drunken made clear earlier, it's best we link to sources when we make factuak assertions relating to the numbers, so I'll link to this sites sales figures of the Suikoden series just to make it clear:

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Suikoden
VGChartz isn't a reliable source of numbers.

They may have bought the DS game, but after getting burned by it, they will not be buying the PSP one.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #34
Nem
Smash bro!

VGChartz is more reliable than no source at all.

With that said, the numbers of older games are not to be trusted at all by them, only the most recent ones. Example in hand is how they say Suikoden 3 sold 230k units in europe. Its kind of a difficult event since the game never came out here.

Suikoden is an incredible series, it just needs more focus. Maybe those resources beeing used to make silent hill should be redirectioned to suikoden. The game needs to follow the classic formula but its world design must get up with the times. Lord of the rings and game of thrones prove that is possible to charm audiences with these kinds of worlds, just need to know how to tap into it on the presentation department.

Last edited by Nem; 05-13-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #35
stroopwafel
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSentinels View Post
So you do care then, since you could care less?

And if you meant to say you couldn't care less, you might not, but others do and are entitled to. If you like a storyline of a game, or book, or anything, and then see it changed for the worse, there's nothing wrong with being a bit hacked off about it. I hate that in DMC4 they nailed the combat and I enjoyed the story and Dante's character, and then Capcom choose to reboot it, after the most successful game in the series as Nem said. Weirdos!
Well, I never found the story of DMC much more than superficial, over the top action filler. Just something that sets the mood and connects the game, not something that is worthwile in itself. So yeah, I don't really care if that gets replaced by something other than Dante as long as the gameplay itself remains intact. Because that is what I enjoy the game for in the first place. If other people actually enjoy the story of DMC, well to each their own I guess.
stroopwafel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #36
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:

They may have bought the DS game, but after getting burned by it, they will not be buying the PSP one.
They won't have a chance to buy it in the US/EU because it's very unlikely to be release as it was released to late. Though it sold very well in Japan.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #37
Ernst

Quote:

Well the source does back what you were saying. And yeah, I don't think it's particularly reliable either, as Nem said, it has figures for Europe which is very odd. But yeah, best to back what we say with sources on figures.

Yeah, Nem, I love Suikoden too. I think Suikoden IV really fucked the series in so much that Suikoden V's sales were fucked by it, which lead to this... I don't know, tangent? I can't wait for it to get back on track.
Ernst is offline   Reply With Quote