The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 04-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Ivy Bridge

Intel's new Ivy Bridge processors are here! Can read the entire article, which includes benchmarks, at the links below, but I'll just paste the important bits.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/04/23/in...-the-i7-3770k/

Quote:
The basic design of Ivy Bridge isn’t significantly different to previous processors. There are a few tweaks to the architecture to support faster RAM, PCI Express 3.0 and faster encryption, but the major change is to the graphics core. The new HD Graphics 4000 supports DirectX 11 and increases the number of unified shaders to 16 – not enough for Battlefield 3, although it is more capable of gaming if you’re after an Ultrabook. More on the performance benchmarks in a moment.

Ivy Bridge is more interesting because it’s the first chip produced on Intel’s 22nm technology, down from 32nm for Sandy Bridge. That means faster clockspeeds and lower power consumption. Even better, due to the physical restrictions of making semiconductor gates at these improbably small scales it uses the excitingly named ‘3D tri-gate transistors‘ which Intel is pioneering here. These basically involve extruding gates upward rather than down flat to increase the surface area available to electrons for activation, rather than laying them down flat.

That’s quite an achievement to get into mass production, but should you upgrade to Ivy Bridge?

I won’t bore you with too many benchmarks here – there are plenty of other sites for that – but the upshot is that Ivy Bridge is consistently faster than Sandy Bridge in every test I’ve run. Plus, getting the Core i7 3770K to run stably at 4.5GHz was the effort of a single mouse gesture, swiping the clockspeed slider in the new Z77 BIOS. The new BIOS doesn’t even mention the base clockspeed, either – it sensibly just gives a target for the turbo mode to try and hit.

If you’ve already got a Sandy Bridge quad core, though, you can put your money away. Ivy Bridge has the edge in theoretical tests and is quicker for CPU bound tasks – but not enough to warrant replacing your current chip. With anything that’s Core i5 or above, games performance is much more likely to be held back by your graphics card than your CPU – if something’s unplayable now, then it’s unlikely that a new processor is going to give you a meaningful boost. Look at the Heaven 2.5 score below – once you start running games at normal resolutions, they’re almost entirely GPU dependent. The gaming benefits of upgrading from an older Core 2 Quad will be more to do with low power and less noise, too.
This is why I like to wait; new PC build with Ivy Bridge processor and 600 series nVidia card? YES PLZ!! Nice to see Intel doing a good job with this, unlike AMD ballsing up Bulldozer.

Hurry up 660.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
darren
... lol

i like this bit

Quote:
If you’ve already got a Sandy Bridge quad core, though, you can put your money away.
intel just saved me some

and yeah roll on the 660s
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

The leap is rarely worth it. If you've got a 560, the jump between it and the 660 probably won't be worth the price, but if you've not got either, no point not getting the best! I'll definitely be building a rig around 2500k and 560Ti but using Ivy Bridge CPUs and 600 series cards. It'll be worth the wait.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
Alucard

There will be a vast jump from 560 to 660. I'll wager 25-30fps. Its my guess at least. But how I love intel.. If I were a love sick teenage girl I'd spread my legs for their bridge.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
darren
... lol

agreed on the 550 - 660 difference .. and yeah its awesome we can keep our sandybridges for a few more years yet ..
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
Old 04-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
Chronos
fuggit

I planned on upgrading sometime soonish but it looks like my q6600@ 3.4 ghz / GTX 570 is going to hold out for at least another year. Don't see any games in the near future that are going to require much more than this.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Now to add this pretty baby to the build.

When you're hot, you're hot.

Last edited by Reality; 04-23-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
darren
... lol

Lush
Old 04-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #9
Alucard

I remember going from my dual core E6850 3ghz and straight to the i5-2500 3.3ghz. Huge jump for sure. Got it autoclocked at 3.6 cause my pc decided thats what it wants to do with it. Thats cool, no arguing from me over it.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
Chronos
fuggit

I went from 2.4 to 3.4 when I got my zalman cooler. That's with no voltage increases so it runs at the exact same temperature as stock. If I up the voltage I can get a bit more probably but it was set at 1.4v stock and the q6600 is recommended 1.5v max so not a lot of room for upping the voltage on that cpu.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #11
Reality
Sin and Punishment

One of the best CPU heat sinks I ever got to use was this baby. A CM 212 Evo.

And here it is inside my baby (gigglty)
Old 04-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
Alucard

The 212 evo is probably the best heatsink out there. Pretty cheap, quiet, and really hammers down the temperature of the stock fan down to 35degrees. Its amazing. Stock would be like 45-50degrees.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #13
Drunken Savior

Yeah, I'm a big ol whore for the CoolerMaster 212+.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
Chronos
fuggit

That guy wasn't even out when I got my zalman, but yeah, great price on that.