The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 04-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #61
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I feel violated just looking at it.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #62
javi

I really like pc gaming, except when I have to download the games. The only reason for why I downloaded Mass Effect 1 & 2 was only because Steam had a special offer that both games were $10 each. That was it. But then there's the Half-Life games, and man did Valve made me so mad. I already had the Half-Life 2 games, and I tried installing the games, and I did. But when I tried to play Half-Life 2, it couldn't let me, and told me that I have to re-buy Half-Life 2 all over again.

Now, why do I despise downloading games off the internet? When I was using my first computer, I had so many great games to play with, as well as some great music. But on New Year's Eve, the input charger for my computer was fried, and I didn't have enough time to store any of my stuff in a disc. Sure, I had some physical PC games, but most of them were emulators, and downloadable games that I paid for. From there on, I only stick with buying an actual copy that I can touch with my bare hands, as well as music and movies.
Friend Code: 1246-9222-7767
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #63
Alucard

That sounds a little weird with HL2. That should be able to be sorted out easily. And if you paid for those other things surely you can just re-download them from your account on whatever those sites were. Its not like you're only allowed to download the item once.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #64
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Yeah, did you not contact them about it? Valve would have probably given you a copy on Steam. Remember they're in the group of awesome, friendly developers and always do stuff like that.

And thing is, you lost the PC but could still then re-download the games later. An inconvenience and quite an annoying one, sure, but not the end of the world. If you lose the retail disc, you've lost your game for good, it's gone. You have to buy another one, and I'd say that's a much worse thing to happen by a mile.

If you meant you couldn't re-download the games and could only download it once that's probably a mistake like Alucard said. No site doesn't let you download them more than once.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #65
javi

That was another problem that I faced. Not only did I forget the password to my other account, but I also forgot the username of my other account. Now, me and Pikachief share each others account.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #66
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Well that was just a mistake on your end, seems a bit weird to hate on DD because you forgot your password. Can't you recover it like basically every service and website does? Pretty sure if you put in your e-mail address you used they'll reset the password and you can log back in.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #67
Alucard

It would of been linked to your email. You just ask for a password reset and they email you the details.

All I know is if I could somehow trade all my physical copies for downloadable ones through steam etc, I'd do it and then free up all that space in my closet that the couple hundred plus pc titles are taking up space with.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #68
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I have over 1000 dvds and blurays, with all the games together and comics and other books and can't forget my Spider-man collection........ I've had no space for years! But I love my collections.

I really should take a picture of everything to show off.

I would say about 80 percent of my spider-man collection had to be shoved away in storage cause that's how much I have, I've been getting this stuff from family and friends since I was born. My first spidey thing? Secret wars Spider-man and black costume spider-man action figures! YAHHHHHHH! I still got them and I bought brand new sealed ones in the box over ebay.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #69
javi

But I already have it all download anyway, plus me and Pikachief already have a Steam account to play with. Yeah, it was pretty much my fault, but I'm at least satisfied that I not only have the Half-Life 2 games, but I also have the first Half-Life game, as well as Team Fortress 2 and Portal that Pikachief downloaded. But that was the last game I downloaded.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #70
CongoJack
me fail english thats unpossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
You cant include isp for a pc. If you do then you're adding isp+xbl to the cost of a console. The tv is valid because you need one to play. Many people went out and bought a HDTV when the consoles started being decent. The thing is you also dont need a monitor for your pc. I have plenty of friends who game and multitask from their tvs as monitors. The option is there for anyone. Some people even buy monitors for their consoles.
Your first two lines are just a repeat of what I said already. The point was that you shouldn't include any internet fees etc. in the breakdown, it will just get too skewed. By both of our logic, we should discredit any kind of add on viewing terminal from this breakdown as well. Both are extra devices/services that shouldn't be added in to the cost of gaming as its a fairly safe assumption that any gamer, whether they be PC or console and are reading this, most likely have access to the internet and a random viewing portal to connect either device to. The fact that we can even bring this point up shows that the author did not know enough information about gaming setups or spent enough time researching them to give us any solid information. I think depending on what factors you use to compare the two you could get either winner. I'm sure any number of magicbox members could make a more solid sales pitch for their respective favorite with ten minutes of research.

As for where add-on-motion-controllers fit into this debacle of how much it costs per platform for the hardcore gamer, they don't. Because they are strictly casual at this point and until at least 30% of the good games that come out in a year need it, its a waste. Slapping a kinect sticker on the ME3 box doesn't change that.
CongoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #71
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CongoJack
Not sure why a xbl cost is even on there with no bill for your isp on sitting on the PC side, which of course you have to have for both....
Answered your own question there.

Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, The Division, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #72
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSentinels View Post
I feel violated just looking at it.
Then my job is done.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:50 AM   #73
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CongoJack View Post
Your first two lines are just a repeat of what I said already. The point was that you shouldn't include any internet fees etc. in the breakdown, it will just get too skewed.

I think its more that plenty of xbox gamers play online, what with their beloved halo or gears or war or COD etc. These types of gamers make a huge chunk of the xbox userbase. If they cant play online they probably wont buy these games as much. To play online you need to pay for xboxlive. On the pc you dont pay for any gaming service. And like you said, everyone has the internet by default and its not inclusive of gaming, so it cant really be added as a cost for pc.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #74
CongoJack
me fail english thats unpossible

We could just say ps3 then, this article is a joke. The guy writing it goes through at least 2 keyboards a year, something has to be wrong on his end.

A frugal gamer would be able to support the habit at a reduced cost on either platform.
CongoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #75
progmetal
!

Going to build a PC with my son. It totalled to around $2000 with everything including gaming headset an SSD disk, etc. Certainly steep price when you need to buy everything.

Does the parts look ok Alucard?

MB: Asus P8Z77 -V
HDD: Samsung Ecogreen F3 1TB
PSU: Corsair CMPSU -750HX 750W
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hype 212
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K
Graphics: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 OC
Case: Fractal R3
Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp U2412M
Mouse: Saitek Cyborg R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Saitek Cyborg KB V7
Ram: Corsair XMS3 Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB