The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 04-16-2012, 06:05 AM   #1
Alucard

Thomas Kinkade 1958-2012

BLEAH! So not happy about this. He was the only one to me who could actually capture christmas in his paintings. He did some amazing paintings and sculpture designs. Sickened. This is another reason alcohol should be removed from our world. It really doesnt do anything productive to us as a species. Also the critics that called him shit can fuck off too. Go back and froth over some 8 year olds art who stepped in paint and walked over the canvas, but no one told you thats how it was created while you stand there marveling at the broad strokes symbolizing the universe giving birth to an elephant consciousness in the jungle. Fuck you.

Quote:
Painter Thomas Kinkade, whose works of luminescent, homespun scenes captivated millions of Americans even as some critics scoffed, died at his home in Northern California at age 54, a spokesman said.

Kinkade died alone on Friday at his residence in Los Gatos, a small town about 45 miles south of San Francisco, from what appeared to be natural causes, family spokesman David Satterfield said. No other details were immediately available.

Thomas Kinkade, the self-styled "Painter of Light", battled alcoholism for several years and had a relapse before he died unexpectedly last week, according to his brother.

Patrick Kinkade told the San Jose Mercury News in an interview that a split with his wife, attacks on his work by art critics and financial troubles took their toll on his brother, and he turned to the bottle in the last four or five years.

"He would shoulder the world, pull the naysayers on his back and smile when he was doing it," Patrick Kinkade told the northern California newspaper.

"As much as he said it didn't bother him, in his heart deep down inside, it would sadden him that people would criticize so hatefully his work and his vision when people didn't understand him," Kinkade added.

Kinkade, 54, died on April 6 at his home in Los Gatos, south of San Francisco. A fire department dispatch, released by amateur scanning group firescan.net, sent emergency workers to his home with the message, "Fifty-four year old male unconscious, not breathing. Apparently he's been drinking all night and not moving."

Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
Badrats Studio
Hate it or Love it ヽ(̀ώ )ゝ✧

Location: Medan, Sumatera Utara, Republic Indonesia, South-East Asia
Alcohol really is bad if it's uncontrollable
Currently Playing : Eternal Sonata [PS3]
Badrats Studio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #3
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Wow those pieces are amazing. He was really talented. RIP.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
camac
I feel so good.

His work does look really good. I heard he was a kind of a douchebag which earned him a lot of enemies but honestly I haven't heard of him until his death so idk whatever. His work is nice, regardless of his personality.
camac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

I'm a bit libertarian so I don't blame inanimate things for the actions of people who use them but I do think it's a tragedy. He clearly had a ton of talent.

Take care of yourselves people.
"I had a perfect nightmare on a starry torrid sea, I am cast in prison by a crippled demon's plea, The demon has three faces all are laughing down at me, The Banker with his filthy lucre sets the game astride, The General with raging might lets forth a battle cry, The Judge locks now the metal tomb where I am meant to die, But vengeance is a brutal beast not held by any cell, My wit is steeled my blade is wet so sound the reapers bell, Banker, Judge and General you all shall burn in hell."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
This is another reason alcohol should be removed from our world.
Punishing everyone because of one person who couldn't control himself is wrong.

Maybe the people around him didn't do enough to help him.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
Alucard

Alcohol is only good in moderation. With that useless advice EVERYTHING is good then. A little bit of marijuana, a tiny bit of cocain, an ecstacy tablet now and then. And also anything that can kill your braincells isnt something that should be considered good. Its an addicted damaging substance. Its also expensive. It also tastes shit.

His work was awesome though. Some of the things you could buy were amazing.

This one is lush. You flick a switch on the side and the paintings lights come on from the windows and lamps. Gives it a really nice feel when the room is darker. You can get it at this link
http://www.bradfordexchange.com/prod...decor-art.html

This one I bought myself. Its pretty big too and if you follow the path it sets it goes around the entire thing and shows story moments of Christ before they crucified him. The windows and everything light up too, looks amazing. The detail is really really high.

I took a picture of mine with the lights on and off, but only 1 side. The other side has heaps of stuff on it too. The little glass bit under Jesus lights up in a nice blue light, but my ones a bit stupid and I have to turn it on and off a few times if it doesnt light up the first time. And I'm not wasting $50 to have it sent back for repairs. I'll suffer it. You can buy it here..

http://www.bradfordexchange.com/prod...etop-tree.html

Click for full size

Theres lots of other cool stuff with villages in the snow and little model train going through a tunnel on one side of it, little people moving in specific sections. Amazing stuff. The only bitch for me since I want quite a few of them is at the american store its cheap. Like the mountain sculpture I bought it costs about $135. But on the australian site it costs $300, just to fuck with you. Sure you can import it. Whack on another $150 for postage. So basically whats the point.Makes me furious. Everythings double the price on our site. Luckily it runs on both batteries or power, but some others are power only, so then I'd have to buy power convertor and theres another $40 or whatever.

It was always exciting to see what new products he'd design for the christmas season. Now nothing new will appear again.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

I agree with you on alcohol in a personal way. I also have no use for it at all. I also recognize it as being even more dangerous than the other drugs you mentioned. Yet I still don't favor any sort of prohibition over age limiting.

On topic I think my favorite of the ones posted is the first one. The vibrant colors and art style makes me think of Monet. The third one is a close second.
"I had a perfect nightmare on a starry torrid sea, I am cast in prison by a crippled demon's plea, The demon has three faces all are laughing down at me, The Banker with his filthy lucre sets the game astride, The General with raging might lets forth a battle cry, The Judge locks now the metal tomb where I am meant to die, But vengeance is a brutal beast not held by any cell, My wit is steeled my blade is wet so sound the reapers bell, Banker, Judge and General you all shall burn in hell."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

He made some awesome landscapes. RIP.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Sorry he died. But I think his art is severely overrated and that he caters (and exploits) religion to sell prints.

I've also met him when I was living in Monterey. This was before he was caught drinking and driving though.

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
Transistor, The Witcher 3, Watch_Dogs, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation, The Division
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
javi

If you try to take alcohol away from this world, then you would take away my dad's job. He's a pasteurizer and a taste tester for Miller.
Friend Code: 1246-9222-7767
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
Alucard

Many exploit plenty of things. But if you can do something well then I dont see it as exploiting. Plenty of other artists do religious paintings. And they're not really that popular. But most of his art isnt just religion. He draws amazing scenery and towns.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #13
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

And how do we quantify if someone does something well and gets a pass for exploitation?

Games I'm hyped for
Transistor, The Witcher 3, Watch_Dogs, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation, The Division
Old 04-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #14
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

I don't know enough to comment either way, but the stuff Alucard posted doesn't seem particularly exploitative.

Maybe except for the Jesus cake.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #15
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

My parents got this Kincade Wreath. I've never seen so much Jesus in one space.

In the end, it's up to people to decide if his paintings are art or not. He was a painter who painted what the people wanted. And like a summer blockbuster, he wasn't afraid to license his art to make sure everyone saw it. He's the people's painter. Art for the masses.

But fuck him for driving drunk in my home county of Monterey, CA. He was a talented artist, but he displayed a horrendous lack of judgement numerous times.

And no, I don't blame the alcohol for his decisions. Just like I don't blame guns used in crimes of passion, nor do I blame cars for people who drive drunk in them. People are responsible for their actions.

Games I'm hyped for