The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #241
KingOfSentinels
Kossy
 
KingOfSentinels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Engrand.
Posts: 5,709
Fuck that, Kindle wins everytime. Love it. All the times I went on holiday and had to decide which games and books to bring; Steam + Kindle = win
__________________
Currently Playing
'Too lazy to keep updating'
KingOfSentinels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:46 AM   #242
eastx
The Fighting Bomber
 
eastx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lake Jackson, TX USA
Posts: 4,569
Here's one of the best articles I've read on used games' impact on the industry. It's long though.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...-of-used-games

Quote:
The rebuttal of course is usually the same. Used games fuel new game sales; this is GameStop's response and some buy into it. Of course, in reality it's pure conjecture without any evidence. If used game trading fueled new game sales then when used game trade-ins became the new standard a few years ago new games sales should have spiked. Of course they didn't; in fact game sales have stayed mostly flat or actually declined. The causation of that is primarily because not only is the GameStop line a complete fallacy, there's actually a worse truth, which is game churning isn't a one-off second hand thing but a multiple of a multiple. New game gets returned for used game which gets returned for used game which gets returned for used game. It's not like GameStop is pushing new game sales when I bring the first game back. They push enough pre-orders of new software to satisfy their churn on used.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:29 AM   #243
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!
 
Einhander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Mysterious Far East
Posts: 6,492
And on the flip side, and actually based in reality.....

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/0...deo-expensive/
__________________
Paper exe - PS3 is a great console with many good games and good features.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:40 AM   #244
eastx
The Fighting Bomber
 
eastx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lake Jackson, TX USA
Posts: 4,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
And on the flip side, and actually based in reality.....

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/0...deo-expensive/
This is why you can't learn. You personally.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:41 AM   #245
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!
 
Einhander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Mysterious Far East
Posts: 6,492
I have no idea what you're talking about.
__________________
Paper exe - PS3 is a great console with many good games and good features.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:52 AM   #246
eastx
The Fighting Bomber
 
eastx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lake Jackson, TX USA
Posts: 4,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about.
To elaborate, you seem to view the world in black and white rather than shades of grey. Anything that doesn't fall into your already established viewpoint is instantly negated and ignored. As a result, you don't assimilate new information or change or evolve your viewpoints. This is not unlike having a learning disability, though it's truly willful ignorance rather than something you were born with. Most of us don't operate that way, and I imagine it must make your life harder in a number of ways.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:56 AM   #247
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!
 
Einhander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Mysterious Far East
Posts: 6,492
"Richard Browne is a games industry executive, veteran of over 20 years spanning several publishing organizations"

That's who the article is written by. It doesn't make any effort to disclose the fact he's on the publishing side. Of course it's going to be written from an anti-used game perspective. This isn't factual, it's propoganda.

And it's pretty rich that you say I view things in black and white considering all the "USED GAMES ARE BAD. THE END!" rhetoric from the games industry.
__________________
Paper exe - PS3 is a great console with many good games and good features.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:02 AM   #248
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...
 
Escaflowne2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Thetford, Norfolk, England
Posts: 16,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
And it's pretty rich that you say I view things in black and white considering all the "USED GAMES ARE BAD. THE END!" rhetoric from the games industry.
It's not even the games industry it mainly from 3rd rate developers or are upset when no one wants to buy there games and there looking for a scapecoat.

Epic are the only decent developer to speak out and none of the big publishers have ever mention it.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:04 AM   #249
eastx
The Fighting Bomber
 
eastx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lake Jackson, TX USA
Posts: 4,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
That's who the article is written by. It doesn't make any effort to disclose the fact he's on the publishing side. Of course it's going to be written from an anti-used game perspective. This isn't factual, it's propoganda.

And it's pretty rich that you say I view things in black and white considering all the "USED GAMES ARE BAD. THE END!" rhetoric from the games industry.
Is the games industry your enemy? You claim to love games (I assume), and without all the different parts of it - retailers, developers, and publishers - you'd see either no games or far fewer of them.

You display a consistent lack of respect for the industry viewpoint. Again, the black and white thing. See, identifying a problem and then approaching it from the views of multiple/all sides is the best way to solve the problem, not to stick your fingers in your ears because the people who say there's a problem are on the opposite side of yourself.

The website that published the article is geared towards people in the industry, but that doesn't mean they don't publish articles with different perspectives. The site's editors, unlike you, try to view (and espouse) all sides of industry problems rather than propagandizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaflowne2001 View Post
It's not even the games industry it mainly from 3rd rate developers or are upset when no one wants to buy there games and there looking for a scapecoat.

Epic are the only decent developer to speak out and none of the big publishers have ever mention it.
Just not true... We could find 30, probably even 50 articles with the perspective of the aforementioned article, and they come from numerous sources. Butcha know what Escaflying, the effect of used gaming on the people you consider 3rd rate (i.e. not huge) developers is greatly touched upon in the article. You should read it.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:06 AM   #250
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!
 
Einhander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Mysterious Far East
Posts: 6,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
The website that published the article is geared towards people in the industry, but that doesn't mean they don't publish articles with different perspectives. The site's editors, unlike you, try to view (and espouse) all sides of industry problems rather than propagandizing.
Except that's exactly what they're doing.

Over and over again "USED GAMES ARE BAD! USED GAMES ARE THE END OF THE INDUSTRY!" when it's patently untrue.
__________________
Paper exe - PS3 is a great console with many good games and good features.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:09 AM   #251
eastx
The Fighting Bomber
 
eastx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lake Jackson, TX USA
Posts: 4,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
Except that's exactly what they're doing.

Over and over again "USED GAMES ARE BAD! USED GAMES ARE THE END OF THE INDUSTRY!" when it's patently untrue.
Why don't you think about the individual points he's making rather than writing it off instantly because it's not what you thought before you even looked at it? You're doing exactly what I pointed out, in case you didn't notice. Yes, thinking is harder than not thinking, but it can be tremendously rewarding.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:13 AM   #252
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.
 
Drunken Savior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 18,627
That's some extreme hyperbole on your part, Einhander. When they say the used game market 'threatens' the industry, they are talking about lost profit. The prospect of losing profit on a game increases the risk publishers take when they fund the developer's salaries. The additional risk is the threat.

I completely understand the publisher's point of view on this matter. However, like you, I don't agree that one 'used copy sale' means a lost 'new sale.'
__________________

Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, The Division, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:14 AM   #253
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!
 
Einhander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Mysterious Far East
Posts: 6,492
I looked at who the author was, what his position was in the industry and his probable reasons for writing it. That's all I needed to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior View Post
That's some extreme hyperbole on your part, Einhander. When they say the used game market 'threatens' the industry, they are talking about lost profit. The prospect of losing profit on a game increases the risk publishers take when they fund the developer's salaries. The additional risk is the threat.
Except hyperbole is all the industry is using to describe the issue in the first place.
__________________
Paper exe - PS3 is a great console with many good games and good features.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:15 AM   #254
eastx
The Fighting Bomber
 
eastx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lake Jackson, TX USA
Posts: 4,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
I looked at who the author was, what his position was in the industry and his probable reasons for writing it. That's all I needed to know.
I just can't understand anyone choosing to be stupid. That will never be comprehensible to me. If you were born stupid and literally could not overcome it, that's different. What you do is like amputating your legs without medical need, only with brain cells.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:16 AM   #255
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...
 
Escaflowne2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Thetford, Norfolk, England
Posts: 16,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
Butcha know what Escaflying, the effect of used gaming on the people you consider 3rd rate (i.e. not huge) developers is greatly touched upon in the article. You should read it.
I read it but I don't see it gaming hasn't really changed that much and companies have always gone bust over the years in there hundreds. There are still plenty of "mid-tier" developers the only ones that have trouble are the ones that are poor (i.e. Silicon Knights, Factor 5, Obsidian etc) the ones that make decent games have a better time of it.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.