The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 07-06-2003, 11:56 AM   #1
Rubeus

Good free browser with ad-blocking and popup killer

I found a decent IE based web browser called MyIE2, which has built-in ad-blocking, popup killer, filtering and tab browsing; and it is completely free!

Download it from here:

http://www.webattack.com/get/myiebrowser.shtml
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 12:31 PM   #2
mackensie
Wise Fool.

A less crash-prone and open source variant of the above is mozilla 1.4 available for most any operating system. It includes a mail app, newgroup app, irc app, calendar, etc...

If you only want the browser try Mozilla Firebird 0.6, still in beta, but I've used it at work for the last month, with no crashes or mal-formed webpages. Plus it is lightning fast.

Another excellent browser is Opera, which has a free ad-supported (smallish ad), and paid versions. The best thing about opera is that if your computer crashes, or the browser crashes, it remembers which sites you were visiting.

If you are using a mac, then use the excellent Safari browser, found on Apple's website.

All the above browsers feature
a. pop-up blockers
b. faster rendering than IE
and
c. tabbed webpage browsing
Love can sweep you off your feet and carry you along in a way you've never known before. But the ride always ends, and you end up feeling lonely and bitter. Wait. It's not love I'm describing. I'm thinking of a monorail.
mackensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 04:51 PM   #3
Drunken Savior

Yea Ive been usin Mozilla. But do you know why Firebird is faster? Why not impliment the technology in thr original Mozilla?

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 05:04 PM   #4
mackensie
Wise Fool.

Firebird is just less bloat, it uses the same rendering engine, and it doesn't come with all the extra components.

I guess mozilla 1.4 is the last all-in-one browser.

Firebird, mozilla mail (whatever its called), etc will all be seperate products from 1.5 on. So all future mozilla web browsers (after 1.4 that is) will be based directly on mozilla firebird.
Love can sweep you off your feet and carry you along in a way you've never known before. But the ride always ends, and you end up feeling lonely and bitter. Wait. It's not love I'm describing. I'm thinking of a monorail.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:17 PM   #5
Drunken Savior

Oh, I see. Grazi.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 09:52 PM   #6
Rubeus

The problem is that these Mozilla based browsers do not have built-in ad-filter like myIE2, they just have popup blocker.
Old 07-06-2003, 10:53 PM   #7
Joe Redifer
Olé!

re: Mac browser. I find that Camino (which is based on Mozilla) is noticeably better than Safari. Safari is not bad, but Camino is just all around better. And it blocks pop-ups as well. Visiting these forums is fun with Camino, NOT fun with IE.

Also, I've noticed that Opera (for Windows) does not draw the forums exactly the way they are intended to be displayed. I hear the latest version of Opera is pure crap. Mozilla would probably be the best bet for Windows.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 11:13 PM   #8
mackensie
Wise Fool.

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Redifer
re: Mac browser. I find that Camino (which is based on Mozilla) is noticeably better than Safari. Safari is not bad, but Camino is just all around better. And it blocks pop-ups as well. Visiting these forums is fun with Camino, NOT fun with IE.

Yea, I've tried camino, for some reason it wasn't responsive as it should have been on my mac laptop.
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Redifer

Also, I've noticed that Opera (for Windows) does not draw the forums exactly the way they are intended to be displayed. I hear the latest version of Opera is pure crap. Mozilla would probably be the best bet for Windows.
erm I'm currently (and have been in the past) viewing this forum via Opera with no problems whatsoever in the rendering. It looks exactly the same in IE, or mozilla (on work computer).
And the version I'm currently using: Version 7.10 Build 2840 works absolutly great. Don't know where you heard that rumor from....
Old 07-07-2003, 04:10 AM   #9
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I use an earlier version of Opera when I use Windows and that may account for the slightly different rendering of these forums. I have heard that the latest version of Opera (7?) is horrible by many of my friends who are adamant Opera supporters. I am not sure what makes it so bad but I trust my friends' opinions.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 03:11 PM   #10
mackensie
Wise Fool.

7.0 was a "bad" version, while 7.1 fixed all the issues. i didn't ever try 7.0 personally after hearing the rap, but 7.1 is great.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:14 AM   #11
Vyse
Coup de Grace!

I use K-meleon, which is really good but alot of plugins dont work.
Vyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 01:59 PM   #12
Rubeus

Quote:
I use K-meleon, which is really good but alot of plugins dont work.
Is it for Windows? Do you have an URL for download?