The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 03-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #31
darren
... lol

iv'e seen a stack of films and played a stack of game that i said LOOKED rubbish but turn out good.

and guess what ... therei s a stack of stuff i have said that looks good and its turned out to be rubbish when i played it ..

i simply said i would take the opinion of someone that PLAYED a game ANYDAY over someone that DIDNT ..
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #32
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

GI Joe trailers looked horrible when I first saw it, the one released a while ago, and I didn't go see the film. And then it was on the other day on Film4, so I watched it, and I can safely say now it is shit. But I never went around saying it was shit before I'd seen it. Or ever would.

As Darren said, something that looks shit and something that is shit is totally different, and you can only know the latter when having experienced it for yourself. A few times I've had to play a game for an hour or so to 'get into it' and it's been a blast. And yeah, again like Darren said, lots of things that look good turns out shit; I've seen lots if disappointments over the years. Rage is an example. So much hype over it then it turned into quite an average game imo. And I only said it was average after playing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316
i would take the opinion of someone that PLAYED a game ANYDAY over someone that DIDNT ..
That's what it boils down to.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #33
Alucard

Yeah, theres very few times, and by very few I mean I have trouble recalling them, where I saw something and thought it would be rubbish then watched/played it and it turned out to be good. Now either I know what I like well enough as I play a broad range of games etc, or you both cant make educated guesses too well. Whatever the argument, for you two you need to play/watch something. By previous experience I do not. I know what I do and dont like and can see it. So thats about it.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #34
darren
... lol

you still dont get it ...LOL ...

i play and watch a broad range myself and i can make a educated guess if i would like it or not, hence im 99.999999999999999999999% i would not like Sim3 , i HATED the others... It does not mean its shit .... what part of that don't you understand .. i'm thinking the ENTIRE sentence.

you dont say 'saw it going and not sure its my cuppa tea' . its always 'i watched it for 30mins and its utter shit' .. vastly different things.

and then when someone does enjoy it or plays it (Kings in this example) .. its . "why did you play that shit" "you seriously think its good? its poor at best" .. how do you know .. you never played it??????????????????
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #35
Alucard

Again, something you arent grasping, is the way people talk. Your version of 'not my cup of tea' is the same as my 'its shit'. Its how we talk. I dont like something I label it as shit. Where exactly were you all these years while I've been labelling halo as shit? Is it because you have a strange like for syndicate as well or something.

I'm still pretty much waiting for one of you to tell me why my opinion of the game is wrong, ignoring the BS argument of I have not played it. I list reasons for my negative view. Far as I am aware these statements are in fact how the game is and it doesnt alter from them. Unless the people who I know have played them fully are full of shit too and the game does a 180 after the 1-2 hours I watched.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #36
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I honestly never noticed, I just thought you thought Halo was shit tbh. I don't 'read between the lines' or anything. What do you say when it's shit then?

And I don't think your opinion is wrong, an opinion can't be wrong. It just seems a bit silly to call a game shit because you've not played it. As I said, ignore it, sure, but no need to bad-mouth it till you actually have experienced it yourself. I think MW3 is a load of crap and I guessed it would be, since it looked exactly the as MW2 which I hated, but I played it before saying that to people. Syndicate at least tried to innovate the FPS genre; maybe not doing an amazing job, but they still tried, and I personally think they succeeded. It isn't just a bog-standard shooter, it has a lot of cool features similar to how Darkness 2's additional arms added to the experience. Hacking enemies mid gun-play is really good.

Like the persuade hack makes someone fight on your side; hack the person behind the enemies, and then hack the people at the front's guns to knock them back, and then watch as he mows them down and then kills himself. Don't even need to shoot a bullet. Until shit comes behind you.

And all the things together really make the game experience fun. Especially when the co-op becomes even better since it gives you better hacks and customisation. No idea why they were omitted from the main storyline, they make the game so much better. Silly Starbreeze! My biggest qualm is there's not many patrolling enemies; you just get into a room and fight, after maybe a bit of stealth. But with all the hacks, and your ability to see through walls to see enemies, they really could have done more with it, gone more Deus Ex with it. Too many scripted fights, I guess is it, the full power of your hacks never really get explored so there's wasted potential in there, which most publications saw, and gave it 7s and 8s. . But the core game is awesomebagel.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #37
Alucard

Thats also one of my biggest problems from watching it and hearing about it. They didnt do enough. Most of the things they have are already done elsewhere, like getting people to fight for you etcetc, but what made Deus Ex 1 and Vampire Bloodlines etc so awesome, these guys seem to have just coasted without a huge amount of change. So its massively disappointing to me. I'd like a jump in gameplay ability, like taking Thiefs stealth gameplay and evolving it in Riddick, which was stellar.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #38
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Yeah that was a problem, they'd made Riddick which was an awesome stealth game, with mediocre shooting. And then stuck with the mediocre bit for Syndicate. The hacking still took it up a bit and stopped it being labeled as just a generic shooter, I'd not put it in that category, but I want a sequel simply because there was so much potential in it, I want to see if Starbreeze can use it.

They even did what Deus Ex and Riddick did and make you quite human. Like, you can't withstand many bullets; and that would just lend itself perfectly to a stealth game, and seeing through walls would let you track the enemies before moving out.

So it's far from a bad game, but could have been a lot better. That was my biggest disappointment about it.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #39
Alucard

Quote:
We visited Firaxis recently to gather as much classified information as we could on their upcoming XCOM remake, Enemy Unknown. We talked to lead designer Jake Solomon about how exactly the PC version will differ from the console release. Firaxis told us that, in addition to a unique PC interface, they’re planning to make XCOM: Enemy Unknown modder friendly.

“The idea is that there is the ability for modability,” said Solomon. It won’t be anything that we’re committing to for release, but it’s very very easy using Unreal titles. I write almost all my game code in the scripts, and that’s very easy to give to people.”

The Civilization games have strong modding scenes. With the release of Civ 5, the devs included a built in map creator to make it easier for fans to make their own campaigns. “We have a great legacy of that at Firaxis,” Solomon added. “Of course that’s what we want. We want to make a distinct experience for the different platforms.”

The separate PC UI will be part of that. The XCOM: Enemy Unknown screenshots that have been released so far have shown lots of Xbox controller command prompts, we asked if the PC build would use a similar system.

“No, no, no. Nooo. Oh man, no. I wouldn’t do that to you, are you kidding me? No,” he said. That’s six noes there, folks.

“We have a team that’s doing the PC UI, and there are some elements where it can make sense to use the base, like when we have menus and things like that, but our tactical UI is a standalone PC tactical UI.”

“And so we have a PC tactical UI that we’re working on that is distinct, because obviously mouse driven with a tactical game – being able to select objects of interest – as opposed to a gamepad, where you’re cycling through objects of interest. No, no, we definitely have PC and we plan and we have UI that’s unique.” Thank goodness for that.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/16/xc...c-tactical-ui/
Old 04-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #40
Alucard

Heres a video of a stage being played. Looks awesome.