The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 04-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #16
zechin
THERE IS NO BATHROOM!

Yeah. I'll just wait till the Wii U info comes out at E3. It's easy enough to be skeptical now but that's because they're providing so little information on it. That people just don't feel excited for it.
zechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #17
Reality
Sin and Punishment

I don't know. What more can they reveal? We know the system is already weaker then present consoles, it'll use current Wii MotionPLus controllers, and off screen streaming.

The only other thing I can imagine they'll do is finally enrich their online service. So you can finally enjoy iSpy DLC.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #18
Nem
Smash bro!

Lets not take that as fact when its a rumour. Nintendo went on record in the past saying how its more powerful than current consoles.

I very much doubt it isnt the case. More probable that its misinformation aimed at devaluing the product.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #19
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Not entirely rumor. More like speculation with backing. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...developers-say

Having a console more powerful than current machines could mean anything. It could mean the Wii has quicker Ram architectures than current consoles by 11% but the PS3 may have more built in Ram all together. So in a way, yes, the Wii by percentage is faster than current models for its more morden tech but it could still be weaker overall in handling applications. Its the waiting game.

The Wii was supposed to be a Gamcube 2.5 after all according to Nintendo. I sure didn't see it. Other than in a few examples from Nintendo themselves. Like Mario Galaxy 1/2.

Last edited by Reality; 04-06-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:50 AM   #20
darren
... lol

tbh .. i dont care to much about the power as long as the zelda looks like this in fullHD with DD sound.

Click for full size

what i care about is the fact a lack of power will leave it like the wii, supported well or 18months then nothing other than 1-2 nintendo games a year if your lucky. Thats my biggest worry
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:23 AM   #21
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

It's happened that way for three generations now and I still can't see anything Nintendo have done to resolve this especially after the next consoles for Sony/Microsoft are released.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:44 AM   #22
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
tbh .. i dont care to much about the power as long as the zelda looks like this in fullHD with DD sound.

what i care about is the fact a lack of power will leave it like the wii, supported well or 18months then nothing other than 1-2 nintendo games a year if your lucky. Thats my biggest worry
Zero aliasing and blurry textures. Should be able to do it no problem.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #23
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Unless Nintendo markets the Wii U as specifically tailor-made for old-school gaming, which isn't likely to happen, the rumored weak specs would hurt their chances at tackling both Sony and Microsoft head-on. From the consumers' view, many will write it off as a last gen console, that Nintendo isn't serious about offering a competitive product (except maybe the price). One thing's for sure: if the specs are as weak as the rumors suggest, they'd better offer some compelling software. Third-party support seems to consist mostly of renovated current gen software, from what's been announced. Nintendo cannot settle for allowing third-parties to turn their platform into a dumping ground for older software while their competitors secure all the newfangled stuff.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #24
darren
... lol

Quote:
From the consumers' view, many will write it off as a last gen console
did most do that last gen? and looked what happened.
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #25
Alucard

Wii was always going to do well. I dont expect this one to though.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #26
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Wii sold mainly on the strength of its gimmick + marketing campaign aimed at the casual market. Now that the motion control gimmick fad is done with, they're banking on a tablet controller. The concern is that iPads have been available for years, so they're betting the farm on technology which is widely available, unlike the Wii-mote in its inception.

Nevertheless, the Wii U will need seriously strong/appealing software on a continual basis in order for it to maintain success against the competition.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #27
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Icarus is right. They're trying to ride the gimmick train too long. Plus they're relying on previous generation stuff like the WiiMote being used for the second player. People will see that as old hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaflowne
[Nintendo being technically behind has] happened that way for three generations now
No. Gamecube was technically better than the PS2 in most if not all ways. N64 was technically better than Saturn and PS1 on paper but you certainly couldn't tell by looking at the TV screen and certainly couldn't tell by listening to the audio. But what is kind of funny is that Nintendo hasn't had a "normal" controller since the SNES.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #28
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
Wii U to be more powerful then the PS4

So judging from them specs the rumored WiiU GPU will atleast be almost twice as powerful as the rumored PS4 GPU.
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=142034

Rumours... always painting the craziest scenarios.

Thinking about it though, if Sony decided to match the level of specs on the Wii U for next gen, that would leave microsoft in a difficult position with an overpriced machine whose software would be normalised to weaker systems. Its a great strategy for SONY, but since good strategies and SONY dont go together i dont see it happening. We'll see.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #29
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
If both systems are going to be basically the same, they would be smarter to just make a console together and lower costs and build up a even huger user base.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #30
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Remember what happened to the SNES CD? It became the PlayStation and wiped the floor with the Saturn and N64 in terms of sales and software support.

Oh, so now the Wii U is suddenly twice as strong as a PS4? Boy, E3 sure couldn't come sooner to get all this back and forth spec nonsense straightened out.