The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 03-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Alucard

Brian Fargo's Wasteland 2!!!!

FUCK! FUCK! I cant get passed FUCK right now! Massive props to ATMA for actually showing me this. For any of you old enough to remember games before the shit stain that halo brought into this world, there was an amazing game called Wasteland, the precursor to fallout. Now they're finally planning to make a sequel. The best part about it is that its totally fan funded, like previous games recently. I seriously think this is the best thing to happen to the games industry. Skip the fucking publisher who demands you make a by the numbers fps game, and go back to doing things for your fans.

Like the old one, sandbox top down view turn based rpg. The video in the link is pretty funny so definitely watch it. It even tells you the crew working on it. I swear if this form of game funding catches on strong it'll mean PC will once again be the greatest fucking system around. Publishers are going to be getting worried for sure, iOS, Steam, now fan funded games. Its going to be glorious.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
darren
... lol

Loved waste land . $100 pledged.
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

I've never played wasteland but the video almost made me want to back it. Just as good as the double fine video.
"I had a perfect nightmare on a starry torrid sea, I am cast in prison by a crippled demon's plea, The demon has three faces all are laughing down at me, The Banker with his filthy lucre sets the game astride, The General with raging might lets forth a battle cry, The Judge locks now the metal tomb where I am meant to die, But vengeance is a brutal beast not held by any cell, My wit is steeled my blade is wet so sound the reapers bell, Banker, Judge and General you all shall burn in hell."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
Alucard

I plan to wait a couple weeks or so before I put money in myself. Need to sort out my unemployment status quickly.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
darren
... lol

Male prostitution is your friend
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
Old 03-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I need a secretary. I shall play you in mangos.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
darren
... lol

I need a fluffer
Old 03-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Magic box. Worst job search engine ever.
"I had a perfect nightmare on a starry torrid sea, I am cast in prison by a crippled demon's plea, The demon has three faces all are laughing down at me, The Banker with his filthy lucre sets the game astride, The General with raging might lets forth a battle cry, The Judge locks now the metal tomb where I am meant to die, But vengeance is a brutal beast not held by any cell, My wit is steeled my blade is wet so sound the reapers bell, Banker, Judge and General you all shall burn in hell."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #9
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Well it looks like SOMEONE just talked their way out of freshly cut mango in the morning!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #10
Chronos
fuggit

Epic. Thanks for posting this.

Interview with Brian Fargo:

Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Obsidian are helping!

Quote:
Here’s a big, bouncy ball of unexpected good news for you. Brian Fargo and his studio inXile Entertainment are, as you well know, working on a sequel to the seminal RPG Wasteland, and have successfully Kickstarted it to the tune of $1.6 million. Since exceeding their initial target of $900,000, they’ve been able to add Mac and Linux versions to their masterplan for the post-nuclear roleplaying game. But that’s not all. They’ve just been in touch to say that, if they can reach $2.1 million during the 17 days remaining on the funding schedule, they’ll be bringing in Obisidian Entertainment, including Planescape: Torment mastermind Chris Avellone, to help them make the game.

Oh my word. The minds behind Fallout and Planescape, together. A veritable RPG supergroup. This has to happen.

Says Chris Avellone, “Wasteland is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, and when Brian asked if I wanted to work on the sequel, I jumped at the chance. While I’ve worked on Fallout 2 and Fallout: New Vegas, getting the chance to work on the spiritual successor to the Fallout franchise is a honor.”

Brian Fargo observes that “I have a history with the guys at Obsidian that dates back to the days of Interplay’s Black Isle studios. Together we created some of the greatest RPG’s of all time, from Fallout 1 & 2 to titles like Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment. It is great that we now have a chance to reunite on a project like Wasteland 2.”

It’s about tools to speed up and ease development as much as it is bringing in addition talent, apparently. “Obsidian has an incredible library of story, dialog and design tools that they have used to create hits like Neverwinter Nights 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, and of course, Fallout: New Vegas. Regardless of the tech we use to develop the game, experience with these tools will help us efficiently design the game without wasting time and resources on the tools needed for development.”

This is also good news for Obisidian, potentially, who recently suffered a round of lay-offs. Hopefully this can help get them back to fighting strength.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...one-condition/
Old 03-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
Alucard

I think...I think I just came.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:31 AM   #13
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I knew you would.

Remakes of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, and now Wasteland 2 with Obsidian helping. There goes about 2 years of my life...
Old 04-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
Alucard

Well it finished today and they reached $2,933,197, but well over 3mill if you add in the paypal donations. Pretty awesome considering they needed 900k. SUCK SHIT PUBLISHERS! Thats what you get for demanding they make an fps. No profits for you.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #15
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

This Kickstarter stuff is really working out, great to see these games get made.