The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 03-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #16
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
I think high-capacity cards might be cool of they were fast enough. Downloads only? No. That would limit their audience too much. Not enough people have fast enough internet or maybe they have caps placed on their service. Or they won't want to expand their storage to get more games, etc. I don't see it happening. Another thing I don't see happening is the name "Xbox 720".
I fully agree. The cards would provide several benefits to us consumers, provided the price of games doesn't go up. But they'd definitely cost more to make, so we'll have to see what ends up happening.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #17
darren
... lol

if they used carts the system could one time write to them to mark them used, and thus not useable again until paid to be unlocked (ala the 10 to play some games now online when 2nd hand) .. this would destroy the 2nd hand market and they i guess could off set the extra cost of the production against the xtra they would make from either people buying more new stuff or paying to unlock 2nd hand stuff
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:56 PM   #18
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I can't see them going DD only yet. The sales only show it for PC for download only games.

Console games, the bigger sales are still in the retail games.

So if they made a cart based system again, this could actually work. Just have it install onto a HDD.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #19
Alucard

Can you imagine how big sales would be if you couldnt return the game though? Thats whats coming up next. Thats what makes DD so popular after.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:37 AM   #20
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Can you imagine how big sales would be if you couldnt return the game though? Thats whats coming up next. Thats what makes DD so popular after.
More people would just wait til it went down in price

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:57 AM   #21
Shorty0061
Shorty the Butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
I may be wrong, but i haven't witnessed too many games on XBL or PSN budge on price since they landed on the stores, other than temporary sales.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:23 AM   #22
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
Yes but that wouldnt happen quickly on the console scene. They rely heavily on their first week sales. Becuase of this sort of thing it would be lower, so they would leave it at a higher price point for longer to get more returns.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:47 AM   #23
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty0061 View Post
I may be wrong, but i haven't witnessed too many games on XBL or PSN budge on price since they landed on the stores, other than temporary sales.
They have lowered prices of games and kept them low. But those are usually retail games that have gone down in price in stores.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:45 AM   #24
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
For the big games yeah, for the middle and smaller games it wouldn't be great unless they adjust the prices accordingly.

Like the vita for example I can actually see people paying 44.99 to download Fifa 12 but I can't see many people downloading Army Corps Of Hell or Shinobido 2 for 39.99.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #25
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Digital distribution costs a lot less though, so smaller games would prefer it and could just put their titles cheaper right from the off. It's why most Indie games are download only. Boxing and shipping to stores and then all the used sales costs a lot more than just putting your game up for digital distribution.

So Shinobido 2 could go for 29.99, maybe less, instead of around 40. They'll make a lot more returns in doing so, you spend less and generally get more returns. The future is bright!

Digital distribution only is definitely happening, but I think this generation isn't the tipping scale. MS should keep a disc tray in their console and test the waters of DD; try and publicise it more and sway people to use it with a few incentives. And then for the next gen, ditch disc altogether once their playerbase has had a chance to get more acquainted with it, or don't, depending on how well it was received.

Dumping it straight away seems a bit like diving in the deep-end tbh. Nintendo are going to be distributing full retail games across the Nintendo Network for Wii U, but it still has a disc tray.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #26
darren
... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaflowne2001 View Post
For the big games yeah, for the middle and smaller games it wouldn't be great unless they adjust the prices accordingly.

Like the vita for example I can actually see people paying 44.99 to download Fifa 12 but I can't see many people downloading Army Corps Of Hell or Shinobido 2 for 39.99.

45 for FIFA vita dlc ... lol ...that's more than you can get it retail ...
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
Old 03-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #27
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Most digital download games are on consoles. I have no idea why anyone would bother seriously.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #28
darren
... lol

ever retail at 45 is shocking .. the PS3 version was 40 day 1 ..

it happens on PC as well tho day 1 prices for digital download versions on Steam are ALWAYS more than the day 1 retail price .. utterly dumb .. it should be the other way round. Just greed tbh that its not

Last edited by darren; 03-10-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #29
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

I'm all for fully downloadable. With all the problems I had with my ps3's blu ray, fuck it let's go microsoft.

Zechin
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:16 AM   #30
spider-prime

I say we go back to carts again.