The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 02-28-2012, 04:42 AM   #1
darren
... lol

IBM: We're on the cusp of the Quantum Computing revolution (video)

Even though i work for HP, and the big blue is pure evil i will say this is rather cool indeed

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/28/i...tum-computing/

Quote:
Technology's holy grail is the development of a "perfect" Quantum Computer. Traditional computers recognize information as bits: binary information that represent "On" or "Off" states. A Quantum Computer uses qubits; operating in superposition, it exists in all states simultaneously -- not just "On" or "Off," but every possible state in-between. It would theoretically be able to instantly access every piece of information at the same time, meaning that a 250 qubit computer would contain more data than there are particles in the universe. IBM thinks it's closer than ever to realizing this dream and if you want to know more, we have the full details after the break.

The system has serious ramifications in the fields of science, technology, medicine and security -- the latter because it can try every conceivable password to access a system within a second. However, for now, this computer remains science fiction rather than science fact. In the same way that you understand the Copenhagen interpretation of Quantum Physics, qubits are negatively affected by both observation and interaction -- the vulnerability of these materials to interference from heat, radiation and defective materials means you can't trust the answers it provides, called quantum decoherence. Being able to produce a qubit of sufficient "integrity" that you can trust the results is what has eluded scientists for decades.

In a few short hours, however, IBM is going to present three brand-new records to the American Physical Society that could change all of that. Using its R&D know-how, and some of the world's most powerful freezers, it's developed methods of easily building, maintaining and even increasing the integrity of a qubit to the point that it's now very close to the minimum standard required by the research community. David DiVincenzo, professor at the Institute of Quantum Information thinks that the company is "nearly at the tipping point."

Taking technology developed at Yale, its three dimensional superconducting qubit was able to extend the duration of each qubit's quantum state to up to 100 microseconds: a short time for you and me, but a lifetime for a computer that theoretically knows everything. The papers, entitled "Superconducting qubit in waveguide cavity with coherence time approaching 0.1ms" and "Complete universal quantum gate set approaching fault-tolerant thresholds with superconducting qubits" will be made available after the presentation later this morning and is hoped that scientists can now concentrate upon error correction schemes to further enhance the technology. Part of the revelation is that IBM built the qubits using traditional commercial chip fabrication technology: meaning that if the final ceiling is breached, it would be possible to mass-produce the technology very rapidly at scale.

XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:06 AM   #2
Alucard

You mean a pc might finally be as powerful as a ps2, the strongest system EVER invented that can fire missiles and powers the airforces IT department?!!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:22 AM   #3
darren
... lol

i think so .. just maybe nearly

but they are clearly high geeks working in a sweet lab .. would love to work there messing around with that stuff
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
Old 02-28-2012, 05:31 AM   #4
Alucard

I'd try to play halo with it just so I could get the full experience of an amazing 360.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:32 AM   #5
darren
... lol

don't push your luck, you would want to break anything
Old 02-28-2012, 06:36 AM   #6
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Maybe this thing will run Crysis maxed... naa, I doubt it. Nothing can run Crysis.

But wow, this is really cool. In years time if we have this, I'll be a happy man. Loading screens? LOL!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:04 AM   #7
darren
... lol

MS will still blue/green screen
Old 02-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
Badrats Studio
Hate it or Love it ヽ(̀ώ )ゝ✧

Location: Medan, Sumatera Utara, Republic Indonesia, South-East Asia
What could possibly there in-between On - Off ?

Currently Playing : Eternal Sonata [PS3] - God Of War Ascension [PS3]
Badrats Studio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
Nem
Smash bro!

I wish they would explain exactly how it works in the most simple level (like an AND/OR works for current computers).

I never studied quantum physics, so aside the standard story of the cat in the box i dont know much about it. I do know about current PC architecture though, so i would like to know exactly how they are going to make it work in a computing level. I really dont know anything about how it needs cooling and stability to avoid decay... i have no idea what they are on about without knowing how it works on a core level.

But, i suppose that is the secret of the trade at the moment? Progress is always good though.

Last edited by Nem; 02-28-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
darren
... lol

indeed .. i'm sure if they told you how it worked they would then have to kill you right now
Old 02-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
bujeezus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem View Post
I wish they would explain exactly how it works in the most simple level (like an AND/OR works for current computers).

I never studied quantum physics, so aside the standard story of the cat in the box i dont know much about it. I do kow about current PC architecture though, so i would like to know exactly how they are going to make it work in a computing level. I really dont know anything about how it needs cooling and stability to avoid decay... i have no idea what they are on about without knowing how it works on a core level.

But, i suppose that is the secret of the trade at the moment? Progress is always good though.
from what i gathered, if they told you how it worked the qubit would kill you. it's coming. it's coming for us all!!!!!!