The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 01-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
darren
... lol

Nextbox to be tablet based?

just a rumor ..

But i'll fucking piss myself if its true .. it would be a proper we had better do what Nin are doing day 1 this time ...

i really hope this is not true tho

Quote:
If the rumors are to be believed, the guts of the new Xbox, presumably some kind of insane multicore CPU and crazy powerful graphics chipset, will be teased nice and early as part of Microsoft's final showing at the Consumer Electronics Show this year. Expect it to be properly revealed, with a name and everything, at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in early June. If that timing is accurate, it seems likely that we'll see it in stores by the 2013 holiday season.

But what of the box itself? Given Microsoft's recent efforts at unification across its Windows, Mobile, and Xbox product lines, it seems clear that the 720 or whatever they end up calling it (surely not that) will be the ultimate personification of that strategy. There are strong signs suggesting that, like with Nintendo's Wii U, a tablet component figures heavily into the new design. That saucy Windows 8 Metro interface (now also seen on the Xbox Dashboard) just begs to be touched. Speculation as to the form it will take has been rife for the past few months, with some even suggesting that the core of the new platform will be akin to a tablet PC that wirelessly connects to a base station, which in turn plugs into your TV. If this is the case, a premium Xbox Next setup could feasibly include a base station, a tablet, a conventional controller of some kind, and the recently discussed high-def evolution of the Kinect. Thank goodness for wireless connections if that's the case; otherwise, we're in for one hell of a mess of cables.

http://uk.gamespot.com/special_featu...ure/index.html
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Lawl! So rather than Sony and Microsoft copy Nintendo a few years later, they're doing it straight off the bat.

I don't see this happening. Kinect is going to come in the box this time, they'll be using that and a standard controller. Plus, the tablet for the Wii U isn't cheap. If Xbox 720 is going to be filled to the bring with the latest tech to give us 1080p BF3 gaming at 60 frames, if they throw in a tablet controller with it, it's going to be way too expensive!
Old 01-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
darren
... lol

MS and Nin can afford to sell at a loss next gen if needs be i'd suggest sony probebly can't but will
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
Old 01-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

That's true.

But with all the things the Xbox already is, I think the cost will be damn high, and so could the loss. It's a big Gaming console expected to be running BF3 graphics at good framerate and resolution, which in itself is very expensive. But it's also a DVR, for games and television, as well as it having Kinect in the box. If it's a tablet controller as well, I think the cost of it is just way too much for a single thing, and Microsoft needs to keep the price low to stay competitive.

Also, Nintendo has patented a tablet controller which has the content streamed to it from the console, so Xbox's tablet will need to have to produce it's own graphics, making it even more expensive.

Seems all a bit too much cost wise.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
darren
... lol

dunno .. you can get 7" capasitive droid touch screen for 100-150 retail now. the 7" blackberry ones are 200 retail and blackberry ones are pricy .. so if your buying in bulk there must be a good markup on the parts tbh

kinect wont be built into it .. it will still be a stand alone camera.

i think they well sell it stand alone as i suspect you will be able to use your old kinect camera with it if you want instead of buying a new one .. i think kinect is going to be a stand alone product from MS .. so they can upgrade them outside of the console cycle .. so to start with the current kinect will be the default one with the next xbox .. 2 years after the release of the new system .. kinect two drops .. we all have to upgrade part way through the system cycle. its how they get more money from hardware sales.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

If the report thinks it'll just be for menu screens, A) seems a bit pointless and B) it'll keep the cost down if they don't need to cram it with enough tech to run it crisp and HD. It'll not be streaming games at least, like Nintendo's, since Nin did patent it in regards to streaming the content, and something to run HD games like that would just be ridiculously expensive. If that's the case though, it'll still cost quite the penny. The cheapest 7'' tablet I see on Amazon, without dipping into the cheap as hell brands, is a Google Android tablet for £75.

Coupled the price of the a PVR for recording games and television; a one for recording in HD, up to 1080i, is £130 at cheapest. The better ones stretch closer to £200 and I doubt they'll throw in a recorder which is anything but HD. Then we have the cost of the actual gaming console itself. I know they'll likely get everything cheaper than what the individual hardware is on Amazon, but even with that reduction, it's going to be pricey all together.

If it's all true, they'll definitely be selling at a loss unless they want it to cost a bundle.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
darren
... lol

personally i cant see them doing it ..
Old 01-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

That would be weird. Why then did they even bother with the kinect? Using the kinect with the metro dashboard is pretty good and responsive. I don't want to touch any pad to do anything. Now if it was a tablet control peripheral.

Zechin
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
Shorty0061
Shorty the Butt.

I would be surprised if this came to fruition. The way MS wants all their windows 8 stuff to communicate with each other, I'm willing to bet there just some connectivity features built into the next xbox that allows it to sync with a windows 8 tablet or something.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
Alucard

Love it. I didnt bother with the 360 this gen. Wont kill me if I ignore the next one if the tablet thing is true. I'll play 'their' best games on my pc again.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #11
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
But what about Halo! YOU WON'T BE PLAYING HALOOOOOOOOOO!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #12
Alucard

/wrists
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:36 AM   #13
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty0061 View Post
I would be surprised if this came to fruition. The way MS wants all their windows 8 stuff to communicate with each other, I'm willing to bet there just some connectivity features built into the next xbox that allows it to sync with a windows 8 tablet or something.
For reals. This rumor is super silly.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:06 AM   #14
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I just want a game system with normal controllers. Kinect is one thing but it should never be the default controller.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:20 AM   #15
darren
... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
For reals. This rumor is super silly.

While I would love to agree .. Wiiu have a tablet controller .. I hope it's not true but it not that far fetched