The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 01-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Good, cheap USB headset

Right, so, my Gaming PC broke. So I built up a second Gaming PC with old parts and a friend's old Packard Bell PC. GTS 250, Intel Core 2 6300 running at 1.86GHZ, 2GB RAM. The best I could do really, and it manages well. Playing most games at 1080 if I set the graphics down a bit, so I'm content till I can afford a new one.

The problem was since the Motherboard and Processor were so old, I couldn't find any drivers. Only managed to get graphic drivers and network drivers working; can't find any sound drivers for the Motherboard. Searched around for ages. The Motherboard is a shitty BV Cuba MS-7301 from Packard Bell.

So I've been using a 10 USB headset, since USB headsets generally install their own drivers and therefore work without the Motherboard's audio drivers, but for 10 you can guess what the quality is like, but, it works, and I have sound and a very shitty microphone. Anyway, can anyone recommend a good USB headset with microphone which is cheap but very good quality too? I don't need the greatest thing ever with surround sound, since I'll probably get a new one with the new PC. But something that won't be a pain in the arse to have like my current ones.

Thanks.

Batman.

Last edited by KingOfSentinels; 01-02-2012 at 08:08 PM.
KingOfSentinels is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
Alucard

Good and cheap are two things that dont usually go together. You could try buying one of the cheap logitech headsets. You seriously need to get a new system though.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:15 AM   #3
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Logitech and Plantronics headsets will do you alright short-term. But I'd recommend a set that covers your ears and costs about twice as much for long-term enjoyment.

Also, if your stopgap system can handle it, you might as well kick it up to 4 Gigs of RAM. Ze RAM is cheap zese days.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:23 AM   #4
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Financially I don't feel up to building a new PC. I don't want to half-arse it and get cheap stuff so this system is simply to last me a few months till I can buy a new PC. It gets the job done; been playing Deus Ex: HR and Mass Effect 2 on it at 1080 resolution and 40+ frames at medium ish graphics, so I'm not in a huge rush.

I'll look up some Logitech and Plantronics. I just checked Amazon and there's a lot of sales, with 40 stuff going for a third of that. Its really just short-term so if it works, that's fine by me.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
darren
... lol

get some of these .. realyl nice headphones .63

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00275C2L6
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #6
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I stopped buying Logitech and plantronic headsets, they always broke on me, I actually had 3 logitech headsets melt on me! and the mics on the plantronics just seem to stop working after a few months, before I had a credit card and ordered things online these 2 brands were the only ones I could buy for the longest time.

I bought this razer headset and it's has way better quality compared to logi and plant.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=024783 The cord isn't even made out of plastic and it doesn't bunch up out of nowhere! I hate when the cords do that.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
Chronos
fuggit

I used these before I got my senn hd650. I'm not sure if that qualifies as cheap for headsets, but mine have lasted me years with the only problem being the volume wheel got ultra sensitive with alot of use. Quality is better than any headset I've ever used. Hell it's better than alot of $200 headphones I've tried. The only thing it lacks is ultra heavy bass, like all sennheisers.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
zechin
THERE IS NO BATHROOM!

Walking around the house with the G930 never felt so good. Just don't let anyone see you wearing it over your ears, because it makes you look like a FOOL! But the noise cancellation is pretty good, so if the missus is ever nagging you. *pops earphones over your ear*
zechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
Zack

assuming you have a pair of headphones, the best cheap solution (< $10) is Zalman ZM-MIC1. it's a microphone clip you attach to your headphones.

otherwise, maybe this? http://www.amazon.com/Force-Gaming-H.../dp/B005DQG0BO
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #10
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

That's around the price range I'm looking at. I have a very good quality headset already that cost me quite a bit, but since I have no audio drivers, can only use USB headsets which install their own. So I'm not splashing out on any, since these will be throwaway. Thanks for the suggestions though guys, I'll bookmark it for later since there's some good stuff here I'll look into when I build my new rig.

Conversion rate sucks for saving money. $30 is about 15, very roughly, but a $30 headset works out to 30 in UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx
Also, if your stopgap system can handle it, you might as well kick it up to 4 Gigs of RAM. Ze RAM is cheap zese days.
Great idea. I can actually just rip the RAM from my broken PC I reckon, I pretty sure it's DDR2 which is what this old PC supports too. 4GB of RAM will help boost it up. It's the processor which is bottlenecking performance right now, but can play games so who gives a crap. It's handling 1080p Deus Ex: HR like a champ. Only chokes when moving to a new area and loading.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #11
Alucard

Seriously, best headsets that arent too expensive are the G35s, followed by the G930s. For a headset, sound and mic performance, unrivaled.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote