The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 11-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
darren
... lol

Ubisoft say pc gamers are bitching priates

I didn't realise they new alucard?

But I say ubi are are shit software house and nothing more than a poor mans EA.

http://4am.nerdcubed.co.uk/?p=211
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Well I work for Ubisoft and so I don't want to say anything, but I'm sure you guys know exactly what I think of this. But I'd like to just pop this little bit of a Gabe Newell interview in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabemeister
"Digital Rights Management (DRM) is a sensitive issue. Many games have been the subject of boycotts due to a draconian use of DRM. The most extreme DRM forces players to be online, and to stay online, if they wish to play the game. What are your views on DRM?"

In general, we think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem. For example, if a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable. Most DRM solutions diminish the value of the product by either directly restricting a customers use or by creating uncertainty.

Our goal is to create greater service value than pirates, and this has been successful enough for us that piracy is basically a non-issue for our company. For example, prior to entering the Russian market, we were told that Russia was a waste of time because everyone would pirate our products. Russia is now about to become our largest market in Europe.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Quote:
Most DRM solutions diminish the value of the product by either directly restricting a customers use or by creating uncertainty.
Hah! Hit the nail right on the fucking head. I don't pirate games but when I look at the DRM loops I have to deal with and then look at how a torrent can provide me the exact same game, sans the DRM....I do wonder why the fuck I pay money for this version. I'd gladly pay Ubi full price for a DRMless copy. But they don't offer it, so I'm screwed. So I buy less games. It's kind of a lose-lose situation for everyone.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Or do what my friend does, he buys the game and then downloads it, he does this to basically feel like he's not pirating it, he just wants it without DRMs.

Me, if I want, I just download it. I'm not supporting that crap.

But you know what, say the game sold 3 million copies still on the PC at full price, but 2 million pirated it. sure that is still a huge loss number, but they still made their money back and lots of profit and there isn't any way of knowing if that 2 million would have bought the game regardless.

If they want people to buy the game, give incentives to actually buying the games.
Like loyalty points or give out free DLC to people who register their copies.

Disney rewards gives out awesome stuff, like more free movies, collectibles and even limited edition statues and other crap. I just ordered me some Muppet stuff from there for free.

Don't even have it preorder only, do it all the time. It's like buying a GI Joe vehicle toy and it comes with a free figure, you're more likely going to buy that one first before the one without the figure.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Well your friend is still breaking the law by possessing an illegal copy. It's illegal to circumvent DRM according to the DMCA. I'm trying to find a way to support the companies I like and not break the law.

Honestly, I've thought of doing what your friend is doing. It's the best way to get the best of both worlds...too bad it's still illegal.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 11-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Not up here. We don't have a DMCA so it's legal for us

They are trying to pass a form of a DMCA up here, but so far it keeps getting shot down.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Lucky loonies.

Games I'm hyped for

Current Platforms:
Old 11-26-2011, 03:20 AM   #8
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

The question is would most people that pirate games actually buy them or are they just getting them because there free?

For example I've never downloaded a PC game but I've acquired alot of DS games but I only got most of them because they were free and would never have brought them.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:00 AM   #9
Alucard

Thats a yes and no answer. Me for example, I've pirated some games I had no intention of buying, and pirated some games yet bought them after. Some people wont buy shit because its in their nature. If they cant pirate it they wont waste their time with it, I know some people like that. Same type of people who play every single beta test of an MMO they can yet no matter how much they enjoy it they never sign up to play the game.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #10
spider-prime

I buy the stuff that are worth it, anything other than that I just wait till I can find it uber cheap.

Like steam sales. I'm patience, I can wait a few months to get my games.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:14 PM   #11
camac
I feel so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaflowne2001 View Post
The question is would most people that pirate games actually buy them or are they just getting them because there free?

For example I've never downloaded a PC game but I've acquired alot of DS games but I only got most of them because they were free and would never have brought them.
Man that's tough, I was unemployed for a long long time and had sold some stuff to buy myself a R4 card and play some of the games I had been missing out on. I downloaded both games I have already owned, some games I would have bought if I had money and some games I would never buy new. Also I did buy Dragon Quest 9 and got a rom for my R4 so that my girlfriend and I could both play since they only allow one save file so there's that issue too. Of all the games that I downloaded that I haven't bought yet there were only about 4 that I ended up playing much of and would have actually bought, but then I figured I buy a lot of used games anyway and the developer wouldn't see the money either way so why bother?
camac is offline   Reply With Quote