The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 10-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #16
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316 View Post
wouldnt surprise me if its just gta4 in a new city
I think after RDR and LA Noire, they're willing to introduce a few new changes into the gameplay. I'm curious to see what they will do as well.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #17
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfSentinels View Post
They each have an entirely different, and awesome, storyline which is always huge and great. The cities are always full of stuff to do, and they've changed cities each time. Liberty City in 3, Vice City, San Andreas, then Liberty City for GTA4, and probably another city for this. All new characters, etc.

I wouldn't call any GTA game an expansion pack due to how much is new. If you call prior GTA games expansion packs, every COD instalment and Assassin's Creed is $1 DLC in comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CongoJack View Post
Gameplay wise there were quite a few over the years. Anyone who thinks differently should probably go back and play 3 and 4. The shooting and driving mechanics alone adapted a good bit through the games. Happy they are making another, LA didn't do it for me.

Sam is the only one who actually answered correctly. Cover while firing is a gameplay mechanic they added to the series. Refining the control is not advancing the game. Its just making it feel less shit.

Majority of the COD games are expansions in my book. At least back to the original meaning that was expansion, unlike todays 1-2 hour mission add-on for $5. Expansions were always fast followups of the first game, same engine, same game, same pretty much everything and sometimes a little shorter. Take Neverwinter nights for example. That one had expansions. One of them was bloody long and even had extra gameplay changes to the previous one. But it was an expansion and sold cheaper. The Sims, they have heaps of expansions that are cheaper yet somehow each one brings completely different things the other games did not have. Example, Sims 3 Ambitions expansion, one of the things was being able to follow your sims at their job, into buildings, everything. None of the other games had this.

The GTA games do pretty much nothing to be considered a new game. You're just doing the same thing over and over again. Its pretty sad when a Sims expansion has more element and gameplay changes then 4 GTA games in a row. And the stories are really not that special. The only thing I remember from GTA3 is the two lesbians. I think they didnt like some guy. Thats all I recall from its stellar writing.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:55 PM   #18
Einhander

San Andreas had a bunch of RPG-like health mechanics in it, as I recall.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #19
justin_credible

Magicbox is always been full of GTA haters. It's right up towards the top as my favorite series. I'm replaying GTA IV right now trying to get to 100%. I hardly ever replay games.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #20
Einhander

FFS, can someone fix that broken title? That out of place "Gran d" is driving me crazy.

Also, since I got a 360, people keep telling me to buy Crackdown. How do it and GTA compare?

Old 10-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #21
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Just because they don't change the gameplay much, but change absolutely everything else, that makes it just an expansion pack? Sequels have been priced full for changing much less than that, and it's not like Rockstar comes out with them every year. There was 4 years differance between San Andreas and GTA4, and looks like another 4 years between 4 and 5 since I'm guessing this'll be out in 2012.

I don't know about anyone else but I don't want them to change the gameplay, because I play a GTA game for the storylines more than anything. Always got a great story, mix of things to do in missions or out of them, and they're always huge. I loved GTA4 and don't see the hate for it; I thought Niko was a great character and the story was too. I thought I'd hate him while reading previews but I found him quite likeable.

And I always have a lot of fun with them is the main thing. So I can't wait for this.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #22
Einhander

Don't mind Alucard, he'd just rather play MGS 1 and its expansion packs.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:23 PM   #23
Northeastmonk

The music selection got worse after San Andreas, Vice City had probably the best soundtrack. It also took a long time for IV to get started. Plus I didn't even bother paying for the Liberty City stories. I sure do hope they fine tune some things, especially the story. All GTA needs is a perfect character and plot. Plus Mafia II (2K Games), Red Dead, and LA Noir all set up better plots then GTAIV imo.
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #24
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
Don't mind Alucard, he'd just rather play MGS 1 and its expansion packs.
Actually MGS changed with each game. GTA is just a simple sandbox game. Look at Saints row 3 thats coming for example. You can see a massive change from 1-2-3 in terms of gameplay. GTA not so much. Nothing to do with hate, just pointing out they're sticking with the same recipe for each game. If it sells why change it. Some of them though were still expansions. Vice City being a blatant one. Thats probably where my annoyance with this series started.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #25
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Thats why you play on PC and just play your own music.

Driving down Liberty City listening to Gay Bar. <3
Old 10-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #26
Einhander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Actually MGS changed with each game. GTA is just a simple sandbox game. Look at Saints row 3 thats coming for example. You can see a massive change from 1-2-3 in terms of gameplay. GTA not so much. Nothing to do with hate, just pointing out they're sticking with the same recipe for each game. If it sells why change it. Some of them though were still expansions. Vice City being a blatant one. Thats probably where my annoyance with this series started.
I was being facetious. It's like saying every Suikoden game is exactly the same because all you do is gather 108 stars and overthrow a kingdom. Or that MGS games are the same because all you do is sneak around and fight a few bosses.

There's enough changes between GTA 3 and San Andreas and GTA IV to legitimately say they aren't the same game.

OMG I was right about DC! Maybe

http://i.imgur.com/Q4RnQ.jpgMG

Old 10-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #27
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Quote:
Strengthening long-standing rumors for years that the next Grand Theft Auto would be set in Los Angeles or a fictional version thereof, a source familiar with the game told Kotaku today that those rumors are true. GTA V will be set in some version of L.A., bringing the famous franchise to a place that last got the GTA treatment in the series' top-selling Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. (So much for our other dream GTA V cities.)

We're also hearing from multiple sources that the game will feature more than just one playable character. That would seem to be a natural evolution for the series. Following the release of the PlayStation 2's Grand Theft Auto III and Grand Theft Auto Vice City, PSP games set in the same cities as those console games let players control a single new character apiece. Those portable games helped establish the idea that there's more than one life worth living in a Rockstar-made GTA city.
http://kotaku.com/5853279/grand-thef...ple-characters

om nom
Old 10-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #28
CongoJack
me fail english thats unpossible

Control changes are changes to gameplay mechanics. How on earth could the way you play the game not be a gameplay mechanic? If that were the case we would consider Goldeneye(N64) and Halo to play exactly the same, 2d mario exactly the same as 3d, or every fighting game ever to be exactly the same gameplay mechanics. Saying that about GTA just shows one thing, you haven't really played any of them over the years and are forming an opinion based on not liking the series. Which by all means there is nothing wrong with. Not everyone should like every game, be it critically acclaimed or pile of shit. But saying the gameplay hasn't changed in just about any series that has been around for more than a minute is just ignorant.
CongoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #29
Zack

i wonder if there will be more than 10 buildings to enter in the entire city this time around
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #30
Beam
~The Last Of The Old Guard~

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316 View Post
wouldnt surprise me if its just gta4 in a new city

what he said.