The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 06-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
calintz
thank you based god

Windows 8

Quote:
We're live from Microsoft Windows president Steven Sinofsky's keynote at D9, and there's something rather exciting on stage -- a pair of experimental Windows 8 dev boards running an OS that looks very much like Windows Phone 7's Metro UI. All Things D actually sat down with the man earlier today and got a sneak peek at what to expect starting with the live tiled screen you see above -- and yes, like Windows Phone 7, this OS is designed for touch.

There'll be two kinds of applications for Windows 8, one that runs in a traditional desktop, and the other pseudo-mobile apps based on HTML5 and Javascript, but both environments -- rather, the entire OS -- have been designed from the ground up for touchscreen use. Keyboard and mouse will still be options for both sets of programs, but there are multiple virtual sets of keys for different form factors, including a split keyboard for vertical slate use. Multitasking is simply a matter of swiping running apps into the center of the screen, and you can pull windows partway to "snap" them in place alongside other windows -- even mixing and matching traditional desktop programs with web apps simultaneously (like Twitter alongside your spreadsheet). There's a new version of Internet Explorer 10 (which runs Silverlight) and an app store built into the touchscreen interface, along with integrated services like Office 365. Microsoft says the new OS will run on laptops, tablets and desktops when it appears -- whenever that might be.

All Things D didn't have any details on when we'll get pricing or availability, but we're looking at some Intel Atom-based demo units on stage right now, and Microsoft says it will have ARM designs (the OS will support NVIDIA, TI and Qualcomm) viewable on the Computex show floor, and more will be revealed at the Build Windows developer conference in September. We should note that "Windows 8" is just a codename for what we're seeing here -- "we'll figure out the real name in due time," Sinofsky told the crowd -- but we don't see much harm in calling it Windows 8 for now.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/01/m...et-prototypes/

looks very tablet like, but microsoft have said that its for desktops too...

Quote:
• Fast launching of apps from a tile-based Start screen, which replaces the Windows Start menu with a customizable, scalable full-screen view of apps.
• Live tiles with notifications, showing always up-to-date information from your apps.
• Fluid, natural switching between running apps.
• Convenient ability to snap and resize an app to the side of the screen, so you can really multitask using the capabilities of Windows.
• Web-connected and Web-powered apps built using HTML5 and JavaScript that have access to the full power of the PC.
• Fully touch-optimized browsing, with all the power of hardware-accelerated Internet Explorer 10
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/f...oratenews.aspx

calintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I was like ehhh at first, but then I saw you can still have it normal windows still. I'm sold now. Windows 7 must of sold like shit for them to completely change windows.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
calintz
thank you based god

Old 06-02-2011, 03:11 AM   #4
darren
... lol

code named windows 8? ... lol .. nice to see they made an effort
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:34 AM   #5
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Did Windows 7 sell like shit? I assumed it was pretty successful...

Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation,
The Division, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:34 AM   #6
Alucard

7 sold shitloads. It was extremely well received. But everyone knew they were planning to release windows 8 since last year. 7 was basically what vista was meant to be, so think of this like XP=98, Vista= millenium, 7 = win NT. Windows 8 is going to be the new XP.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Why was 6 scared? Because 7 8 9.

LOLOLOLOLOL

Anyway, yeah... cool...
Old 06-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
*takes gun out and shoots Kingofsentinels in the head*
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Windows 8 is their attempt to have the same OS running across both PCs and tablets, which they couldn't do with Windows 7. Will be interesting to see how Windows Phone fits into their plans too.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I would never allow this on my desktop in the touch-screen form. It's like MS is trying to out-Apple Apple. Please don't try that because I don't even like Apple's touch screen interface.

That Start screen is just ridiculous. They also seem to think that all anyone ever wants to do with their computer is to store and view photos, videos and music.

Remember the old saying? K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple, Stupid.

IMHO, Microsoft is clearly getting caught up in the mania of pouring more enhancements into the user interface and losing total sight of why people use personal computers. From what I saw in that video about Windows 8, it looks like a slick interface for a sales kiosk. But it doesn't look like something I want to use as a computing work space. Too much of it looks like it would get in the way of how I want to use the machine.

I have two fundamental needs with a personal computer.
1. I use it to run applications to create and finish work.
2. I use it to store & organize the work, which consists of files.

Any real improvement to an operating system should make it easier, faster and more reliable to do one of the two fundamental purposes I just mentioned. Anything else is just window dressing or completely irrelevant.

I think Microsoft is taking this obvious departure from personal computer UI design as a panicked reaction to all the hysteria surrounding the iPhone and iPad. They're trying to make Windows into something that competes with those products. The problem is a personal computer has a very different purpose from a smart phone or tablet device.

Devices like Android phones, iPads, etc. are designed only for viewing media and interacting with it in limited ways. Traditional personal computers (desktops and notebooks) are made to create media as well as store very large amounts of it. The user interface of a personal computing operating system needs to be tailored to that purpose. The PC is not a freaking phone or TV set. It's smarter and far more powerful than that.

When I work, I want to see as little of the operating system UI as possible. I want it to get the hell out of my way. I even use applications like Photoshop and Illustrator in such a manner that their UI trash isn't getting in the way of my work either. When I can see more of my work, less of menus and still get lots of things done fast then I am happy.

The same thing goes for organizing files. Microsoft deserves a lot of heat over this. They bury Windows Explorer farther and farter into hidden menus and what not. Instead they want people hopping through 23 different window screens just to find a file in some sub-folder on a hard disc or thumb drive. I think it's much faster and far more simple to use the file tree in Explorer. Same goes for the Finder on a Mac. The menu system in Microsoft Office applications make me angry. There's a lot of needless complication and visual embellishment when all I want to see in the upper left corner is a "File" menu and have it offer the standard choices. They started pulling this crap with Windows Media Player a few years ago and the infection of stupidity spread across Microsoft's product line.

Imagine trying to edit video or work in Photoshop or Illustrator with a touch screen interface. Obviously it would suck. Nevertheless even companies like Adobe are getting ate up with it. They have that new color mixing app for the iPad. You export the results into Photoshop. Um, I can kind of do the same thing in Photoshop already. Corel Painter provides far more capability in that direction (if you need it).

I might be more excited if a stylus was involved instead of my finger. I draw using a pencil or pen, not my finger. I can click a stylus point on various menu items more accurately than I can using my rounded fingertip. Wacom makes a couple "Cintiq" LCD monitors where you use a stylus to draw directly on the screen with 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity. They have 12" and 21" models. They're really expensive.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
Nem
Smash bro!

Microsoft is releasing these faster than the world can chew them.

I'm still on Vista... and they are going for windows 8.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:59 AM   #12
calintz
thank you based god

windows 8 dev build available now:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516
Old 09-14-2011, 03:06 AM   #13
Alucard

This should be great when its finally out.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:10 AM   #14
darren
... lol

Should but won't .
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:56 AM   #15
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I wonder why they are still bothering with 32-bit versions.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote