The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 10-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
Vegetto
Alive

Can installing more ram kill your video card?

I got some new ram today, 4 gigs, so now i'm on 8 gigs of ram.

I played bad company 2 for 30 mins or so, nothing wrong.

then I start up system shock 2, a super old game, and my screen goes crap mode, staticy looking, freezes up, so I restart the PC, it cant even load up to windows.

I take out the new ram to rule that out, but I still get the same prob.

and when it finally does TRY to load to windows it does this:

after a bit of trying this and that I notice the startup screen is getting worse.

finally i'm able to get to windows, which is horrible looking. and I check my Nvidia crap, and this is what I get:

so yeah, as you can see it looks like the vid cards dying hardcore ( I took it out and cleaned it, still no change), it's about 2 and half years old, 9800GT.

I just found it odd that THE day I install my new ram this happens, but I can't see how it could kill my GPU.

just a weird coincidence?
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
try this, take out the 3d Card, if you have an older card put it in see if it works, put back in all the ram, see if it does it again.

Your 3D card might have just fluked out and killed it self or you gave it a static shock when putting in the ram.

I've had that happen before to a really old PSU like 15 years ago

it's always best to switch things around and see what works and what doesn't. So that way also, you don't waste more cash where you don't need to.

first, when the screen first went blank? was there still sound?

Also, did you get the exact same RAM you had in your computer before the new one, you're not really supposed to mix and match them with other speeds/brands.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
AmishNazi
Skag Killer Extraordanaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime View Post
Your 3D card might have just fluked out and killed it self or you gave it a static shock when putting in the ram.
I would bet on this. Sucks I killed a netcard that way.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain
AmishNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #4
Vegetto
Alive

Sadly I don't have another card laying around, no onboard video either.

and yeah, it's the exact kind of RAM as my other 4 gigs

and I think there was sound when it FIRST crapped out, I don't recall.

Last night my L4D did a freeze and soundloop, when it came back my screen was a mess of textures and the like, but i've had this happen dozens of times on L4D, but who knows, maybe the card has been slowly dying the whole time i've owned it.

the suggestion of killing it with static just hurts me, I'll hate myself forever if that's the cause.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
usually when you touch your case, it discharges any static on your body, but your surroundings can create more despite discharging yourself, like carpet with wool socks for example.

If you took out your 3D card to put in the ram, cause I know how some Motherboard developers are, they probably put the ram slots too close to the PCI-E slot, so you might have to take out the card, but you could have also used a magnetic screw driver. I doubt this, but I've had it happen before I was fixing a computer for a friend and I asked for a driver and he gave me one not even thinking and I wasn't either cause I figured he knew and then I saw the screws sticking to it and I was like NOOOOOO! and yah it fried the computer.

But one way to cheaply find out if it's just the 3D card is to buy the cheapest one you can find, if you go to computer stores, sometimes they have really old ones for 20 bucks or less or you can find a friend's that will let you use theirs or whatever.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
Vegetto
Alive

yeah I didn't have to take the card out to install the ram, no screwdrivers were involved

I was in socks, and on the carpet though...
Old 10-15-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
spider-prime

the only other possible reason of why it busted is, if you knocked off something from the card. Like a little transistor or whatever.

It would give the desire results.

........... yah I'm talking from experience

On the bright side is, next week the new Radeons are going to be the 6770 radeon is friggin powerful, it's 2x the power of the 5770 and 6 times more powerful than a 3870 radeon, which was high end 3 years ago.

and that's just the cheap model! I'm probably going to pick one up.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #8
Vegetto
Alive

Finally got my new card, GTS250, pretty good price, 112
Old 10-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #9
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

I had one of them for aaaaages before getting a 460. |Great card, and you paid a lot less than I did for it.

Last edited by KingOfSentinels; 10-22-2010 at 02:04 PM.
KingOfSentinels is offline   Reply With Quote