The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 09-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #1606
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I got to the Ys 2 part and the mazes became much more complex and drawn out than the original games. And you know me, I don't like it when things are unnecessarily drawn out. So I got bored and stopped playing it.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #1607
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc2049 View Post
As always, a great review.

So does Y's: Books I & II on the DS suck or something? I bought Y's for the DS a while back, as it was on clearance for $20, came with a soundtrack and I always wanted to check the series out. I didn't really have time to play it when I bought it, but I do plan to check it out one of these days.
They ruined the difficulty balance in Ys 1 by adding a new dungeon that gives you seriously overpowered items in the middle of the game! Still fun though.

As for Ys 2's repetitive map layouts, it was always like that (as I recall). The shrine at the end is just a vast pain.

Ys on DS is worth buying just to experience the original game (super easy or not) and its awesome music. But since it's coming to PSP, that will likely be the best version to come to the US.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:31 AM   #1608
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

So what are the other PSP games you own?

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:09 AM   #1609
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Hot Shots Golf Open Tee
Dracula X Chronicles
Locoroco 2
Old 09-28-2010, 12:52 AM   #1610
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Legend of Wukong
5.5/10
Sega Genesis

Another physical release
with box and manual!

Legend of Wukong was released in December of 2008 for the Sega Genesis and Mega Drive systems by Super Fighter Team, the same people who brought you Beggar Prince. It was developed in some lame third world country many years before where the developers were paid in breadcrumbs or something like that. If they did a particularly good job during their 23-hour work day, they would get less beatings and fewer murdered family members. By purchasing Wukong, you are directly financing breadcrumb payments and murdered family members. I state this because the game is definitely no labor of love, but one of "make it as fast as we can so we can earn a couple of dollars". The translation/bug fixing localization was handled more competently than the development itself. As a result we have a physical cartridge for release that is not able to be dumped to play on emulators, though you can find the original 3rd world version ROMs if you must.

Every town has plenty of NPCs to talk to. Be sure to talk to them all, even the glitchy-looking ones.

Story: 3/10
The "plot" involves some idiot kid who goes back in time to some period in China that nobody cares about by accidentally pressing a button on his neighbor's time machine. As soon as he arrives, a monster comes and steals the time machine FOR NO REASON, thus trapping him there. This little dipshit is somehow competent enough to overcome the mass hurdles that face him in his strange, new surroundings. He meets new people and they are all very cocky. I must admit that I dislike most of the characters in this game. Wukong himself is an arrogant little prick. Pigsy is even worse. The girl (I think she is a princess or something) has zero personality at all, she rarely says anything. Many things happen FOR NO REASON, or rather, just to give you something to do, but it makes no logical sense. There is one chapter where you arrive and FOR NO REASON the princess or whoever she is gets kidnapped out of the blue. The story, though humorous at times, can be quite lacking.

The maps and dungeons aren't huge in actuality, but they seem much
larger than they are due to the slow pace and maze-like structure.

Graphics: 4.5/10
The graphics are passable, I suppose. The styles change a bit as you advance through chapters. There are many different enemies, but each has only one frame of animation. I'm not even sure what many of the enemies are even supposed to be. One enemy is a shark even though you never enter the water and a mountainous terrain serves as the backdrop. What the hell? Other enemies are just weird shapes with eyes or whatnot. You can tell that enemy design was a rush job done by third world people who can't even afford lint. There are a couple of nice touches to the battle backgrounds here and there, but it won't melt your TV with awesomeness. But the variety of enemies is indeed pretty cool. I wish the font was a little better. The letter a looks like the letter o.

The battle engine seems competent enough, but the enemy only has one magic attack.
Also, Super Fighter Team sure loves their games to have random battles every 5 seconds.

Sound: 4.5/10
There really isn't much to the sound effects. The music is average. It changes with each new chapter, just as long as you don't advance too far into the game as higher chapters use music from previous chapters. There is only one town theme. There is also only one battle theme and one dungeon theme. A few stereo effects every once in a while remind you that you might be playing the Genesis. You won't be recording anything to listen to in your car at full blast as you drive past all the babes downtown in an attempt to garner yourself some pussy for the evening.

Thanks to magic spells you learn through leveling up which allow you to exit caves and
warping around everywhere, choosing the wrong direction becomes much less painful.

Gameplay: 5.5/10
If you like grinding, this is your game! Don't even try to fight the very first boss until you are higher than level 15, at least. That's more than a quarter of all the leveling in the game, as you can only go up to 50. You will be fighting a lot of battles as one occurs about every 4 or 5 seconds. The first boss is actually the hardest as the balance of the game is extremely poor. After that everything goes fairly smooth difficulty-wise until you reach the final chapter where you will need to grind like a mofo with a spiked dildo stuck up his ass. This game is best described as TEDIOUS due to the very slow exploration of the map and caves due to the constant battles that interrupt you. The battles last a bit longer than they should because both you and the enemy tend to miss a lot (just like in Beggar Prince), wasting everybody's time. Fortunately the magic never seems to miss. Be wary of the magic that seems like it is attacking all of the enemies onscreen at once, as it doesn't quite seem to work that way other than visually suggesting it does.

It is also completely bizarre. For example, at one point you will come across a cave you need to enter for whatever reason, and you are presented with a "musical puzzle". You are then prompted to play the correct notes to enter. I know what you"re thinking; "Oooh, just like Zelda TooT! I love me some N64 Zelda this game must be awesome!" WRONG! You simply press the buttons on the controller in a certain order after receiving the sequence from some idiot villager. Here's the stickler: No music is involved. Not a single note is played. So why is it a musical puzzle? Hell, it's not even a puzzle, it's simply a password! It's no Zelda, but the N64 still sucks ass.

Speaking of villagers, one thing that infuriated me was attempting to navigate the villages themselves. There are many graphical items that block you from moving, villagers often block your path and there is no way to get to where you need to go. The villages seem like mazes as a result. I hope whoever designed this part did not get a sandwich that day. There is also some old guy that says the same thing to you in each and every village. He even gets his own dedicated house. Why is he there? The people in the houses often say the same thing to you even in the same town. My advice is to never enter the houses unless they are shops. They are completely useless and a waste of your time. The in-game menu is almost as difficult to navigates as the villages. Not only are the menus murder on the eyes, but going back and forth can get confusing and exiting them takes about a thousand presses of the B button. Same with exiting shops. Still, the game is very playable and would pass as a sub-par RPG back in the Genesis' heyday. It's better than, say, Traysia.

The menu will make your eyes bleed when trying to find a certain item.

Wrap up:
The game certainly isn't broken, but it can really be tedious at times. The graphics aren't as nice as Beggar Prince, but it is a hell of a lot less buggy. Beggar Prince had many game-breaking bugs that were not fixed. Wukong only reset on me once a few seconds after I saved. There is only one misspelling in the game (rediculous instead of ridiculous). The game doesn't have a clock or timer, so I can't guess how long it will take you to play through it, but my guess is around 20-30 hours or so… or about half of the time it spent in development in whatever loser third world country it was made in. Remember, countries like that only exist to make us feel better about ourselves, and I feel damn good right now!
Old 10-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #1611
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Speaking of misspellings...

Quote:
Buy purchasing Wukong, you are directly financing breadcrumb payments and murdered family members.
Very interesting review! Sounds like you suffered a lot for all of our sakes.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:23 AM   #1612
Joe Redifer
Olé!

My excuse is that I was thinking of the definition of "buy" while attempting to write "by".
Old 10-18-2010, 03:19 AM   #1613
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
7.7/10
TurboGrafx-16 CD-ROM

You play as one of four bitches.
This is the closest you'll ever get to a girl.

Most people just call this game Sapphire for short and that is how I'll refer to it from here on. This is a review I've been meaning to do for a while. I captured the images a few years ago with my CD-R copy of the game. I recently acquired a high-quality bootleg version as the real deal goes for anywhere between $300 and $500 on a good day. The bootleg I have is an actual pressed disc with a high quality case, insert and even a spine card thingy, so no more CD-Rs! Sapphire is a vertical shooter in the spirit of Gate of Thunder and Lords of Thunder (which were horizontal shooters). It was released in limited quantities by Hudson Soft in the mid-90's near the end of the PC Engine console's life in Japan. It also requires the Arcade Card to play. The Arcade Card slides in to the PC Engine to boost system RAM to 18 megabits which was absolutely unheard of at the time (that's more than the main RAM of the original Playstation, suckas!) Most of the best PC Engine/Turbo CD-ROM games only used 2 megabits of RAM. The Sega CD had 6 fragmented megabits of RAM. Going straight to 18 from there was pretty ballsy but we got some faithful conversions of a few shitty Neo Geo fighters and this great game as a result.

This is the title screen.
Pretty standard stuff here.

Story: NA/10
Who cares?

Anime cut scenes try to pump you up, but
they are a bit lackluster, surprisingly.

Graphics: 8.8/10
The graphics really benefit from the extra memory. There are tons of prerendered animations, scaling, "polygons", rotation, morphing and the like. It really is a sight to see and play. I did knock a bit off of the graphics score since this is not the best looking Turbo game artistically as far as colors and detail are concerned as this game features mostly cold, metal-looking graphics and very little in the way of lush landscapes. Multiple layers of scrolling and some unique warping effects to simulate flying over a building are really cool to see. There is minimal flicker and I don't recall any slowdown. One thing that does bug me is that when you shoot enemies, especially bosses, they tend to flash as they get hit and the flashing is so severe that you cannot appreciate the detail in said enemies. It is very annoying.

That's what she said.

Sound: 8.5/10
The music is fantastic for the most part as it was composed and performed by the same dudes that gave us the awesome soundtrack for Lords of Thunder. You'll hear plenty of screaming guitars and great melodies that will make you want to crush the music into weak MP3s to enjoy on your iPod or other portable media device. Unfortunately the game is pretty short so there isn't a ton of music, but what is there is absolutely worthwhile. Better than Bob Dylan? Absolutely. Pretty much all videogame music is, though. The sound effects, on the other hand, are atrocious. The shooting sounds are very loud, primitive and abrasive. They are very annoying to listen to and can often drown out the music. There is no option to turn the sound effects down. I wonder if they played this game with the sound on before releasing it? It's like the sound designers said "Here are your sound effects"" and the music guys said "Here is your music" and the people in charge said "OK they sound good to us, put 'em in and ship it" without ever bothering to listen to what the two sounded like together. Still, the music makes it worth it.

Fans of the Atari 2600 and SNES aren't forgotten
as some blocky graphics appear from time to time!

Gameplay: 7.5/10
This plays as your average vertical shooter. You have weapons that can be powered up, a bomb and a charge attack that automatically charges when you are not shooting. You can collect 3 types of different weapons and choose from 4 different ships as well. The game features two-player simultaneous action, but only local co-op is supported. Player two can drop in at any time. The biggest flaw in the game is that there are only 5 levels and they are all fairly short. Granted, I don't need a game that is 90 hours long like the lot of you, but even to me this one seems pretty short. I also found myself wishing my ship was just a wee-bit smaller as is it really easy to run into things and difficult to avoid others. I guess that adds to what challenge is there, but I did wish for that multiple times while playing. The game is a good overheard shooter, but it doesn't rank up there with the greats like MUSHA or Galactic Attack. Both Gate of Thunder and Lords of Thunder are better games, but this is still a really cool game to have in the library.

I'm not sure what this thing is supposed to be.
Just another randomly-designed boss in a shooter.

Wrap up:
If you have the means to play this game, it is definitely worth acquiring a cheap bootleg if you can. Remember that you will need either a PC Engine or a TurboGrafx-16 capable of reading Japanese games, an Arcade Card (this is why it needs to be able to read Japanese games… to run this card) and a CD-ROM system. There are two kinds of Arcade Cards as well, a Pro and a Duo. Get the Duo if you have a Duo system (that card is slightly cheaper). The Pro will work with any setup. It is really cool to see the system do such cool tricks. It really is a testament to the power of the PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 which was so overlooked in the US that is makes me ill. To hell with you all for not letting this system be more popular. It's all YOUR fault! Well, if you had money back in the late 80's and/or early 90's that is. If not, then it is all your dad or uncle's fault!
Old 10-18-2010, 04:50 AM   #1614
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Needs... more... screens!

Anyway, thanks for the review. I don't know why I didn't buy this game when it came out since I had a Duo, an Arcade Card, Strider, both Fatal Furies and Art of Fighting. I had forgotten who did the soundtrack - now I really have to hear that.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #1615
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I uploaded two examples of the music in the Awesome Game Music Thread. You can view the relevant post HERE.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #1616
Seraph
>:3

Boy do I miss old anime characters like that.

Not that I'll probably ever get the chance to play Saphirre since I don't own a TG-16 CD, don't plan on getting one, and Nintendo gave up on the virtual console thing. I would probably buy Lords of Thunder before I tried this out anyways.

Goodness do I love TG-16CD music though.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #1617
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

You could play Turbo Duo games on PC easily. Magic Engine is only $30 and there's also a freeware emulator.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #1618
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Virtual Console was canceled altogether?
Old 10-26-2010, 03:11 AM   #1619
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
Boy do I miss old anime characters like that.

Not that I'll probably ever get the chance to play Saphirre since I don't own a TG-16 CD, don't plan on getting one, and Nintendo gave up on the virtual console thing. I would probably buy Lords of Thunder before I tried this out anyways.

Goodness do I love TG-16CD music though.
Nintendo gave up on VC!?
I did notice that no new game released for like a year yesterday but didn't know they stopped it. Can you please give me more details about this.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:26 AM   #1620
Seraph
>:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
You could play Turbo Duo games on PC easily. Magic Engine is only $30 and there's also a freeware emulator.
Seems like too much trouble for just a so-so shmup. Like I said, I'll buy LoT before I ever seek this out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
Virtual Console was canceled altogether?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper exe View Post
Nintendo gave up on VC!?
Not officially, but it's as good as dead. They release one game every month or so and it's usually not that great. This month we got Mystic Quest, woo hooo!
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote